Thread: Beaul Or Buffer ?

Beaul Or Buffer ?

I'm looking at getting a buffer system. I know alot of you like the beaul system. I looked at a nice 6" variable speed buffer with 2 heads the other day and was wondering if this would work for me rather than the beaul (the price is about 1/2). How many of you use a buffer and what would be the advantage or disadvantage of either one? It looked like you could change the wheels easy so you could have a 3 wheel system.

I have the three wheel system but with the extender to fit a 1750 rpm motor which is what is recommended. I mounted the motor on a piece of 3/4" plywood and have it clamped to my bench. I let it hang over which gives me room to work. The adaptor fits a 1/2" or 5/8" motor shaft and is set with buffing wheels, adaptor and the tripoli, white diamond and carnuba was is $69. One thing I forgot to mention is the buffing wheel cloth is made for different applications. So they are made from different material for each one.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 03-17-2008 at 1:14 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

You definitley want all three wheels for best results, but I find myself skipping the white diamond often in porous woods because I gets gunked up in all the pores. But if you skip that, then the gunky tripoli gets on the carnuba wheel. I've heard good things about the beall, but I built my own on-lathe quick change buffing system.

A word of warning. Do not use the system with 3 buffs in a row. There isn't enough "elbow room" for your pieces.

Les - I have the Beall buffing system (3 separate wheels that you use one at a time) that fit on the lathe. I like this version as I can move the headstock to the end of the lathe when buffing - gives me lots of work room. I also have total control of the speed of the buff - which is important on some items.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Les,

Personally every minute saved off the lathe is a minute which can be spent turning on the lathe. I would buy the dedicated buffing machine, get the tripoli and carnauba bars and see if you can do w/out the diamond. If you can't, get another wheel for your machine. It may come to about the same amount of money, but it certainly would save you time. Out of curiosity what buffing machine have you looked at? I might be interested in one as well.
    Luck,
    Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

It depends upon what you are buffing. I use the Beal Buffing System with the 3 buffs when I am buffing a bowl with an oil finish. I use the Menzerna course and fine buffs when buffing lacquer. I had trouble with the tripoli eating through the lacquer finish, and this would sometimes make me glad a preacher did not live close to me.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Buffing turnings!

I have a modified three wheel system, I took out the waxing wheel and mounted it on another arbor I had. I then mounted the two buffs on oposite ends of the arbor to give maximum room to work. I sand to 600 grit, then apply finish, (usually poly) then I buff with the tripoli, and the white diamond, (pumice); then the wax if I feel the need. White diamond doen't seem to be a problem when used on finishes. I would not use tripoli on open pored white woods like oak or ash. If you plan to turn bowls or other turnings larger than ten inches I advise you to go with the three separate wheel system.
    Bob

I'm with Steve on this one. The Beal system is hard to beat. If you have something in mind that is half the price, then it is either from China Low Grade, or something, like the right kind of cloth in the wheels, is being left out. Take your time and do a little more research to compare systems. Sometimes you can save money by building your own system since you wouldn't be paying company profits - but sometimes not.......

Blog Entries
    I have the , Three on Lathe Mandrel- Good for small stuff like Pens,Bottlestoppers, ect.

I have the Beall Wood Buff-Thats the buffs used individually- Good for med. to larger items.

You can use on your lathe or mount to a seperate motor and that gives you a little more working room.

I also have the Beall Bowl Buffs in 2" and 3" diameters - they work good for getting inside of bowls and other turnings.

I also have 2 of the Beall Buffing Mandrel Extensions - they allow you to get deeper inside, but be careful while using the extensions, or any of the buffing systems.

Love em they all have there purpose and work Great.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.