Thread: Sketchup Ductwork

Sketchup Ductwork

Hello folks,

Has anybody designed ductwork / dust collection for sketchup? I just boutght a Super Gorilla and am wanting to design my ductwork...I will be using Nordfab or KB Duct.

Barry

It's amazing what you can accomplish in the 11th hour, 59 minute of any project. Ya just have to keep your eye on the goal.

ShetchUp drawing

I have drawn my new shop layout with Sketchup. This page New Woodshop Plans has a link to the drawing you see here. The machine layout is how I think it will be in the new shop, however I think that I will have to make some adjustments when it some time for the ductwork to compensate for lighting and other obsticals.

Last edited by Todd Crow; 03-18-2008 at 1:04 AM. Reason: Update
    Todd Crow
    Northern MN

Very cool layout, Todd! Might be "stealing" a concept or two from your plan. I'm in the initial stages of laying out a 23' x 26' workshop that will come off the back of my garage.

I've been playing a little with Google Sketchup, myself. I was wondering where you got the power tool icons, such as the table saw and planer from. That'll help me greatly when it comes time to lay things out.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Sketchup drawing

Pete,

I got my machinery models off the 3D warehouse, however you can just download my drawing file and copy the models from there.

Todd
    Todd Crow
    Northern MN

Try www.yda-online.com/shopmodels.htm. John Yurko has some great power woodworking machine models and has made them available for download.

Got them from Great Workshops" From Fine Woodworking. Bought the book Wednesday night at my local Book-A-Million.

Thank you for all of the replys. I have been working with Sketchup to try to create the ductwork I am looking for. I have come close but not where I want to be. I have done the following to create lets say a 90 degree elbow with 8 inch diameter with 1.5 centerline radius:

1. Make a couple construction lines 90 degrees apart.
    2. Make an arc of 12 inches
    3. Use the circle tool at one end of the arc perpendicular to the end of the line and make a circle with a 4 inch radius
    4. Select only the arc
    5. Select the follow me tool
    6. click on the inside face of the circle and the elbow is created...

Problem...If you look at the ends of the elbow you just created...they are not perfectly 90 degrees apart?

Can anyone tell me why? ...I know...alot of hassle just to create my ductwork....

Thanks

Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Londrigan View Post
    ...I have been working with Sketchup to try to create the ductwork I am looking for. I have come close but not where I want to be...

Problem...If you look at the ends of the elbow you just created...they are not perfectly 90 degrees apart?

Can anyone tell me why? ...I know...alot of hassle just to create my ductwork....
    Barry - I can't tell you the answer in perfect SketchUp terminology, but I can put you on the right track.

The 'smoothness' of your elbow, and how close the two ends are to being 90 degrees apart, are a function of the number of segments you are specifying to draw your centerline radius.

If you select your centerline radius on the drawing, and then right click, you can pull up 'Entity Info'. Clicking on that, you will see 'Segments'. I think my default is 24 for a 360 degree circle, so I see '6' for the 90 degree segment. You can increase that number, and the circle will be smoother. If you then draw your 4" radius duct, and then the Follow Me command, your ends will be closer to being 90 degrees apart.

The disadvantage of using a higher segment number is it takes up more file space, and makes your drawing slower to process. But the two ends still won't be perfectly 90 degrees apart.

One way to get a perfect 90 degree corner is to draw your centerline 90 degree radius, and then extend those two end points with straight lines for a few inches. Then draw the 4" radius and Follow Me starting with the straight line section (you have to select all three of the line segments - 2 straights and one curve together - before doing the Follow Me).

Then use the Section Plane tool to make cutting planes back at the start and end of the curve, and delete the unwanted straight sections.

Hope that helps.

Edited addition: Looking at this again, I don't think the Section Plane will actually cut the duct - it only hides the unwanted view. But you can draw a flat rectangular 2-dimensional 'box', position it where you want to cut, and then use the Edit - Intersect' tool to actually cut the ductwork and then delete the unwanted part of the drawing.
    Last edited by Mike Williams; 03-25-2008 at 4:45 PM.

9. Does anyone know where I can get NordSketch 3D for Sketchup?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Robinson View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get NordSketch 3D for Sketchup?
    Google is your friend. http://209.200.88.35/index.cfm/do/co.../NordSketch-3D