Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please answer this quick and easy question

Please answer this quick and easy question

Hey everyone! Quick question...

I am having difficulty setting my miter saw up to exactly 45 degrees, thus my joints are not lining up. (Honestly, I am ready to chuck it in the pond, but I am restraining myself.)

Just as an example, say the saw is set to 44 degrees. If I make one cut on the right side, and I make the other cut on the left side, one board of the miter will be at 44 degrees and the other will be at 46 degrees, therefore making the joint 90 degrees. Can I do this and will it make any other part of the table incorrect?

Thanks,
    Amy

Not necessarily...but cut test pieces to make sure!

What miter saw do you have? I just went through cutting a lot of door casings and tuned up my DeWalt 705 to get it cutting on the nose 45s. It was actually pretty easy to adjust the scale which had detents at 45 degrees (and other spots).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Amy,

The quick answer is yes. To me 90 degrees is 90 degrees. Just make sure that you keep track of your parts (i.e. left 44, right 46, etc.) and things should come out fine.

With that said, is there any way you could make this cut on your table saw? In my experience, I've learned to NOT rely on my miter saw for critical miter cuts as it doesn't make perfectly accurate miters. Accurate enough for paint-grade trim, but not for show joints.

Good luck,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

4. There are 2 problems with this, especially in making a frame that is to wrap something.
    The first one is bottom side blow out. When cutting with both sides of the blade your "top" or "face" will be one side up, and then one side down. The down side of a CMS cut tends to have some blow out.

The second problem is still the angle. You need everything to add up to 360 if you are going to make a frame for something. You could hope your 44 and 46 work out, but chances are your cuts will end up with something else as the middle number. What if your angles are 44.5 and 45.1? Then you have 358.4 deg and you still won't be square.

I believe this will result in your long point to short point cuts having two different hypotonuses, thus your miters will not fit together correctly. The sum of all angles must equal 360 degrees but any two mating angles must be equal. Get your owners manual and see how to adjust that saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    I believe this will result in your long point to short point cuts having two different hypotonuses, thus your miters will not fit together correctly. ...
    That is correct. The effect will be the same as if the widths of the mating pieces were different. To be precise, if the angles were 44 and 46 degrees as postulated, the difference at the joint would be as if the width of piece on one side of the miter were about 5% wider than that on the other side.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

As to the bottom side blowout I regularly use a small jig that consists of a 1/2" piece of plywood on the table connected to a 3/4" subfence which is screwed to the main fence. My makita has convienent holes in the aluminum fence which seem to be there for this reason. I set the depth limit to cut 1/8" deep into the plywood base efectively creating a zero clearance back and bottom cut which minimizes or eliminates blowout. Basically essential to me for fine trim with a SCMS.

I still prefer to use the SCMS for nearly everything under 12" wide. With proper tuning and proper technique it will make perfect miters every time.

A good blade is essential as well. I had perfect cuts with wide miters when the blade was fresh but now I get just a fuzz of flex as it is dulling. A full kerf would help that.

You may be able to make it work otherwise, as stated, but it is better to tune the saw or make a sled for the tablesaw.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Even if the joints would fit, I'd NEVER be able to keep track of which side to cut which way. I'd mess up a lot of wood trying to do that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Amy, I agree with Peter. Spend time learning to tune your miter saw. I have a really cheap-o miter saw (Black & Decker) with a really expensive blade. About once a year I re-tune the saw and I get 45-degree miters and 90-degree cuts that are dead on. If you can't get your saw to cut accurately, toss it and get one that can be tuned properly.

Suggestion: get inexpensive plastic triangles (45-45 and 30-60) from a graphic arts supply house like Hobby Lobby and use these for references. Check the angles to be certain they are accurate, then use them to tune your saw.

If it all adds up to 360 degrees, then it should be square. What I'd be afraid of is that one leg of each joint would be longer than the other, be it ever so slightly. If you were wrapping this frame around a square object, it might introduce a slight gap between the object and the frame. I'd try to get the unit to 45, or use a good miter sled ont he TS. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Funny thing Bert...the makita came with a plastic 45/45/90 triangle. The instructions, in typical Japanese fashion, stated that while the saw was set perfectly during manufacturing, all settings should be checked before use, and that while the saw should hold its settings accurately, all settings should be checked regularly! They even provided the perfectly sized triangle for the job.

The makita was in fact set perfectly from the factory but my rough use has since taken care of that. Luckily it is easy to reset.

Amy, Adjustment on a good saw is fairly simple, if your saw cannot be adjusted to cut properly then the pond is an excellent place to keep it while you shop for another.

Amy also remember the the sides of a frame have to be STRAIGHT. The two sides have to be exactly the same length and the top and bottom have to be the exact length as well. The only way I know to do that is with a stop block.

Steve

I vote for pond-chucking. There are too many good saws out there that will not drive you crazy.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

While it's true that, for example, a 44 degree angle and a 46 degree angle add up to 90 degrees, and it's true that all of the angles of a rectangle add to 360 degrees, you won't get a proper miter unless you are at exactly 45 degrees. Just think about it: Suppose you're making a four sided picture frame, using say, 1 inch wide stock. If all that you have to do is to make sure that the sum of the angles at every corner add to 90, then think about cutting one of the angles at 30 degrees and the next one at 60 degrees and trying to put those two angles together to make a corner. As has been pointed out, your hypotenuse(s) will be the problem. You'll quickly realize that you won't have a proper corner this way! No, in order to have all four corners correct, they all have to be at exactly 45 degrees.
    Louis