Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MiniMax S45 Bandsaw problem. Help!

MiniMax S45 Bandsaw problem. Help!

As the title implies, I have an older model (around 1993 I think) MiniMax S-45. I have to admit that when I first got it (bought it used) it seemed to work OK. Then I decided to get some new blades. I bought some Timberwolf blades on the recomendations of others I had spoken to. Then I started to have problems with blade drift and the inability to resaw a simple 12" long board maybe 6-8" wide from one end thru the other without a variance of at least 1/8".

OK, I convinced myself it was the fault of the blades (unfairly) and replaced my 3/4" 4 tpi Timberwolf blade with a (Highland Hardware) Woodslicer 3/4" 4 tpi blade. ----------- Same problem.

Have spent hours adjusting the fence for blade drift, spent complete afternoons working with blade tensioning according to the instructions from MiniMax USA and I have adjusted and re-adjusted the guides (roller bearing style). I have cleaned the tires and inspected them very closely and can find nothing wrong yet I know there is. The blade(s) track very well when I have changed them with little to no effort so I am assuming that the wheels are co-planer to each other.

Ideas? Help.

Brad

How do you tension your blades. Have you tried different tensions?

Hmmm...you've gone after some of the likely suspects, so more information is required.

When you run the machine with no workpiece, is the blade running straight (when viewed from behind, looks like a blade, not a blur) on both the down and the up side?

Describe the setup. Is it passing a flat workpiece along a flat fence? What kind of wood? Green or dry?

Describe the result. Is the cut flat but not parallel to the fence, or is it barreled (curved with respect to the fence)?

Describe the resulting cut surface. Is it smooth or does it have a heavy sawtooth pattern in it?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Bradley View Post
    Hmmm...you've gone after some of the likely suspects, so more information is required.

When you run the machine with no workpiece, is the blade running straight (when viewed from behind, looks like a blade, not a blur) on both the down and the up side?

Thanks for responding. The blade has no vibration at all. It looks as smooth as possible.

Describe the setup. Is it passing a flat workpiece along a flat fence? What kind of wood? Green or dry?

Yes, flat against flat fence. Tried poplar and ash and some curly maple.

Describe the result. Is the cut flat but not parallel to the fence, or is it barreled (curved with respect to the fence)?

Just not parallel to the fence at all. If you look down at the piece at the edge you will see curves as if to say the blade is moving back and forth somewhat. Does that make sense?

Describe the resulting cut surface. Is it smooth or does it have a heavy sawtooth pattern in it?

It has a sawtooth pattern but I don't think I would call it heavy. A very quick pass over a sander and its all gone.

Pete

Thanks for the help. I'm stumped.

Brad

Brad, What happens if you cut something shorter 1-2" tall instead of 6-8" tall?

I can't comment on that model of saw specifically, my experience lies with several of the cast iron 14" variaties. So that said...

With a tool of that age, I'd wonder about fatigue of the tensioning spring. If you need to unduly crank up the tension on the spring to get a suitable tensioned blade, you may end up compressing the spring all the way down until the coils are nearly closed. Then when put under cutting pressure, there is no "slack" in the spring coils to do their job. The spring essentially bottoms out and allows the blade to de-tension.

Simply put. Check that the spring is not compressed such that the coils are closed. Or just look for a replacement, a few dollar upgrade that couldn't hurt.

Again, based on experiences with 14" saws, that is what I've seen.

M
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

You assumed the wheels are co-planar. Have you actually checked that?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    Brad, What happens if you cut something shorter 1-2" tall instead of 6-8" tall?
    Excellant question. Short answer, I don't know. But I will know before too long. Thanks.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo View Post
    Simply put. Check that the spring is not compressed such that the coils are closed. Or just look for a replacement, a few dollar upgrade that couldn't hurt.
    M
    I have and I must admit that I've cranked it down pretty tight in pure frustration only to back it off after I come to my senses. A new spring it will be. Thanks.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Rucci View Post
    You assumed the wheels are co-planar. Have you actually checked that?
    Yes and no. OK, let me explain.

Yes I did assume and that is my mistake. No I haven't actually checked it myself. Now what I need is a proper and "easy" way to check the 'co-planer' of these wheels. Any ideas?

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Noble View Post
    Now what I need is a proper and "easy" way to check the 'co-planer' of these wheels. Any ideas?

Brad
    A piece of 2x4 long enough to reach each wheel, with a piece of 2x4 as long as the diameter of the wheels, on each end, to double the thickness. Press against the wheels and see if they are in the same plane.

sorry for the crude drawing, but like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    A piece of 2x4 long enough to reach each wheel, with a piece of 2x4 as long as the diameter of the wheels, on each end, to double the thickness. Press against the wheels and see if they are in the same plane.
    What is considered adequate? I've read some guys state that you need near perfection and others who state "coplanarity" is entirely overrated and makes little difference unless grossly non-planer (as in the saw is bent).

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    Got it. Even I can do that. Thanks.

Brad

PS: Love the drawing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hain View Post
    What is considered adequate? I've read some guys state that you need near perfection and others who state "coplanarity" is entirely overrated and makes little difference unless grossly non-planer (as in the saw is bent).
    Ooh, good question too. I'll stand by and await an equally good answer.

Seriously though, when is co-planer ~not~ co-planer? Know what I mean?

Brad