View Poll Results: What sandpaper grit do you most commonly start with on an average size bowl?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 60 grit

3 2.73%
  • 80 grit

42 38.18%
  • 100 grit

15 13.64%
  • 120 grit

32 29.09%
  • 150 grit

6 5.45%
  • 180 grit

4 3.64%
  • 220 grit

5 4.55%
  • 320 grit

0 0%
  • 400 grit

2 1.82%
  • Other

1 0.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What sandpaper grit do you start with?

What sandpaper grit do you start with?

As I've watched various turning demos over the years, I'm always amazed that the pros start sanding with such a fine grit paper. Obviously, they have much better tool control than me which allows them that luxury. I'm curious to know what grit most of you start with.
    Last edited by Jeff Moffett; 03-17-2008 at 9:39 PM.

Most of the time, no coarser than 120...with a good Ellsworth style shear finishing cut, it's often possible to start even higher. But once in awhile, there is "that turning" that demands the 80 grit gouge....

BTW, I merged your two threads into this one...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-17-2008 at 9:56 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

80 grit most of the time and when I'm doing really well on the tool control? 120 grit.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Many people start with 80 grit, whether they need it or not. The reasoning here is that while the surface may be quite smooth from a skilled finish cut, there may still be hills and valleys on a slightly larger scale that detract from a smooth curve to the workpiece.

And probably quite a few folks can leave a perfectly smooth curve with that skilled finish cut. But not all of us.
    Richard in Wimberley

I'm with Jim on this but will have to say there is much more to the question. The type of wood, style of turning, there are so many factors. Sometimes The oval skew will put me starting with 180 then again the type of wood or degree of spalting or end grain tear out I may even use the 60 gouge like someone else is buying it. I was once told "use CA and sand paper like it's free". Boy I wish it was LOL

With spindles, most of the time 180 to 220. With bowls, most of the time at 120. I can usually get away with 150 or 180 on the outside, but the inside never seems to be as clean. I have been experimenting with a shear scrape on the inside of the bowl which could may let me start at a higher grit. I did find that using a firm pad with 120 cuts as well or better than 80 grit on a soft pad.
    robo hippy

Jeff - on an average bowl I usually start with 80 grit and that is to get rid of any tearout or bruised areas. On hollow forms I usually start with 120 or 180 as they are a lot earier to get that final shear cut with the bowl gouge.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Depends. If I am using a skew maybe 220 grit. Bowls and HF's if the vertical shear cut is working 180 otherwise 80 or 100.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

If it's really bad, I'll start with 100 grit. Otherwise I usually start with 150.

Why? Because that's what's free. I don't get 120, and 80 is just too coarse for me, and starting with 180 is above my skill level.

I,m learning tool techniques.So as the man that gave a demo on tool technique at our saturday meeting said , "don,t be a pro at sanding,understand tool control."
    I normally start at 80. But with the demo under my belt my latest project will start at 120.

It varies depending on the wood and how well I have managed to controll the tools.

Usually somewhere between 80 and 240 but I have been known to use 60 grit.

john

I would venture to say most woodturners don't take this stuff too seriously. I try not to let my ego get involved and start with whatever sandpaper grit that's needed. The implied idea that somehow you're not a good woodturner if you don't start with a finer grade sandpaper is just an ego inflation thing. Or say Bill Grumbine. says, "Bunk".

Sure good techinque is important, but it doesn't mean you Must start with fine grit sandpaper to be considered an accomplished woodturner. If some "Pro" want to show off his skill, more power to him. But it shouldn't make others feel less worthy if they can't follow his routine.

Sanding is not an absolute. It depends on many variables, such as, the type and grain of the wood, the particular project and how things are going that day, and the sanding process used. Especially, The type of sandpaper used and how it is applied. Plus, how much time spent sanding and what grits are available. Not to mention the final intention of the project. I usually spend more time sanding fine grained woods than course grain woods. Plus I often start with a higher grit on the outside than the inside.

it depends on the wood and what you are sanding with..... i normally start with 80 but sometimes 60 but the problem with these is if you are doing it by hand if you get lines from them its a lot harder to get out because of how deep they are
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

You sand ?

Oh, yeah I sand for sure. Depends on the wood, form, etc. but anywhere from 80 to 150 grit. Higher grits for finials.
    941.44 miles South of Steve Schlumph

TURN SAFE

My drum sander has 80 and 120 in each of the double drums. So the output is 120 from there I usually go back to 100 sometimes 80 and then up to 220 or 320 in steps. On sculpted projects like the chairs I have 35 grit in the Rotex to start and my first rasps are course the finer and finer. The use of card scrapers will eliminate a lot of course sanding on some projects
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-18-2008 at 11:34 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"