Thread: Grinder speed for sharpening turning tools?

Grinder speed for sharpening turning tools?

I had always heard that the slower the better; 1725 at most.

But the instructions for the Wolverine sharpening jig say that is too slow; they recommend 3450 on an 8" wheel. Wolverine must know what they are talking about, but could everything I have ever heard be wrong?

Wade,

They are both right....

There is a line of thought....for folks just starting out grinding turning tools....slower is better.....reason is you have to learn to grind and that takes time and steel.....slower rpm on a given grit wheel means less steel ground in a given amount of time for a given pressure.

If you are experienced I suspect you could do just as well with a faster RPM wheel.

I started out with a Woodcraft 8" slow speed grinder that comes with the white wheels. Probably a good thing I started with cheap HF tools too! Grinding is as much a learned talent as turning. Now I just recently sharpened my new Glaser (sp?) skews free hand. I'd have ruined them two years ago.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What I listen to are the people who make the tools. The people who make the jigs don't know what kind of steel you are working on. From what I can gather, high speed is great for grinding, but low speed is better for maintaining the bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Elder View Post
    The people who make the jigs don't know what kind of steel you are working on.
    I hope Oneway do. They also have a line of Mastercut turning tools. We all use wheels that are designed for HSS tools.

http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/wheels.htm

They have different wheels for slow and high speed grinder use.

I believe smoothness of grinder is more important than the speed difference. If the wheel is bouncing, slow speed won't help. Don't overlook light pressure, dress and true the wheel often.
    Gordon

High speed/ lo speed!

The 3600 rpm will heat the steel faster because of the increased friction. I have both speeds in my shop, and don't have any particular preferance
    Bob

I have both speeds. A cheaper Chinese 1725 rpm and an exceptionally nice, 75-80# vintage Walker Turner in 3450 rpm.

Either machine will get the job done, but I much prefer the heavy, smooth running Walker Turner with the fast speed to the Chinese one with the slow speed. I have very high quality wheels on the Walker Turner....a factor more important to me than rpm speed.

I would agree that a slower speed is better for learning to grind.

Thanks for the post and the replies. I've been using slow speed for two years and didn't think to ask, even though I've often thought that a higher speed would produce smoother results.
    Hilel.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I use a slow speed grinder and if I want a finer cutting edge then I use my Tormek. A slow speed grinder with nice A/O wheels on it and balanced will be a very nice way to treat your tools.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

My grinder is "high speed" and I get great results using a light touch. The slower speed machines are more "forgiving" while you are learning to sharpen, but not required.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Could you simply use an external router speed control on a regular grinder to slow down the speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Crowley View Post
    Could you simply use an external router speed control on a regular grinder to slow down the speed?
    No. You'll destroy the motor. Rheostats cannot be used on induction motors; only "universal" motors that have brushes, such as a non-soft-start router.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...