Thread: Steel City Lathe Question

Steel City Lathe Question

I'd like to try my hand at turning and may have the opportunity to buy a NIB Steel City 60-100 lathe for about $225 at a clearance auction next week. This seems to be a nice lathe and the price seems to be pretty good also. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger? Thanks.

Steel City?

It looks pretty good on the surface, althought the low speed limit of 500 rpm is a little fast for some. The 1in 8tpi head stock and other acutrements seem to say "well thought out machine. The bed extension posibility is another plus. Suggested retail of $380.00 seems to make it a bargin. It hasn't been around long enough to have any kind of trouble track record. I payed more than that for my reeves drive rig. Go for it?
    Bob

Did a Google search on this lathe. There are 3 from IRS auction for around $150. The spec numbers look OK, but no experience with actual lathe. But would not touch the 5 speed model. The speed increments are too wide apart in the low area, from 500 jumps to 1300 rpm. That's indication that the engineers know little about actual usage of lathes. I would pay a little more for a Jet, a known winner. Sorry can't help you.
    Gordon

If it's variable speed, as in EVS and not reeves or belt changing GO FOR IT. I have turned on the evs model and it's very nice. We have one that our club host's wife has. I turned a pen on it and it's great!!!!
    Be a mentor, it's so much more fun throwing someone else into the vortex, than swirling it alone!

Steel City 60-100 Lathe

Gordon: Those are the three lathes that I am looking at (currently priced at $150). Since it is an auction, I'm hoping that the prices don't go much higher than $200. With the 10% premium and sale tax, the total cost would be about $235. I guess we will know next week.

Tyler: The Steel City website contains the following information regarding the variable drive:

2 Speed/Variable Speed Drive:

500-3800 RPM allows for maximum torque when turning at lower speeds.

Hinged Top and Bottom Mounted Access Doors:

Allows quick access for belt changes and reduced down time.
    The Taunton website contains the following:

Steel City's midi-lathe has the advantage over most in its class when it comes to speed control. It has a variable-speed drive, which I love because I can go from roughing a blank at a slow speed to sanding a finished piece at a high speed with the turn of a dial.
    I'm not sure if it this means it is an EVS, Reeves drive or belt change. If someone could help with that question, that would be great.

Thanks for the input and help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mellott View Post
    I can go from roughing a blank at a slow speed to sanding a finished piece at a high speed with the turn of a dial.
    "Sanding a finished piece at a high speed", IMO, discounts the credibility of the Taunton web site. As far as I know, sanding in high speed would just creates heat, thus causing heat checks.
    Gordon

I was going to say the same thing Gordon. I don't sand over 500 rpm. Sand at high speeds with the flick of a dial???????????
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice little lathe

One of the guys in my club has one of these and it is a nice little machine.

When turning wood I also slow way down but for acrylic pens, I wet sand at around 3000rpm. The wet sanding keeps the heat from being a factor and makes quick work of an acrylic pen blank.

I wish I had gotten the jet mini with the VS.
    Determined to master the skew.....patience is a virtue

i dont know what you guys are talking about heat from sanding i rev the lathe to higher end unless its not balanced,cracked , or really thin i normaly sand at 2000-3000 you just gotta make sure to move the paper once you get to 220 or you could burn your hand but that makes lines anyways never had a peice crack from heat
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!