Thread: bowl steadies

bowl steadies

What are the variables associated with the use of a bowl steady?
    Is it size, final project thickness,or? Does anyone have any preference with
    either a single post system (that can be doubled on either side like a recent photo suggested) or the circular containment system with wheels on 120 degree orientation? What would be the symptons indicating you should be using a steadyrest?
    Thanks, Norm Vigus

The variables that cause chatter are many. How far you area of cut is fro where the work piece mounts to the lathe, The type of wood, the thickness and on and on. As far as type of steady goes, whatever you are most comfortable with, and best fits your lathe and work area. I use the "circular containment system with wheels on 120 degree orientation", but it does not always fit my lathe like I would like, so if I get time I will make another now that I have more experience. The one thing I will be sure of is that there is a support wheel just outside the area where the tool contacts. That is the are that needs to have the least chatter. As far as symptoms. if it is bouncing and causing an irregular cut on the surface, when you want a smooth round surface, you could use a steady.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

Need a steady rest?

vibration, physcal size, tool pressure are just afew of the reasons for using a steady rest. Mine , (homemade) uses four wheels. I've seen another turn club member whose also made his with four wheels, More elaborate than mine. We both got our inspiration from Russ Fairfield's website.
    Bob

here is the one i had fabbed up @ work

the idea is that i can use anything from 3 -4 -5 wheels at the same time

That's an awfully big wheel to steer a lathe. How big is the rudder?
    Ridiculum Ergo Sum

it is big enough

see my other post

Here is one that was made from a design that Travis Stinson and Jim Ketron came up and and I've been really happy with it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...5&d=1146028610
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Great question to ask Norm, as we all have been there and wondered just what may help in certain situations. I too have been thinking of putting one together, so thanks to all for your examples and again - good thread
    Allen

I personally use 2 of the Oneway bowl steadies in tandem with each other. I was able to get them for less than $90 each from Woodcraft, including the lathe specific clamp block. I find it quite useful to be able to move one out of the way for sanding or fine tuning and leave the other steady still hooked up on the far side of whatever I am turning. They seem to be infinitely adjustable and, in my opinion, are quite necessary when turning larger vases or bowls. I previously made a steady for a smaller lathe that worked quite well, so I have gone both routes. As I place a value on my time, it worked out much cheaper to just have the 2 bowl steadies waiting for me at Woodcraft.