Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why can't I win a 60 1/2? Anti-Gloat

Why can't I win a 60 1/2? Anti-Gloat

For the past few weeks I've been trying to snag a 60 1/2 off of "that auction site". I'm not even very picky, as I'm comfortable doing some rehab and restoration.

It seems that every time I bid, the auction closes for one dollar more than my bid. I've bid at $40, at $50, and lost at $41, and $51. And this covers like six different auctions.

Call this an anti-gloat. Apparently I completely misunderstand the "Value" of a 60 1/2. For now I guess I'll keep trying and stick with my 110 and 220.

Losing by $1 only means that there was one person willing to pay more than you. The person that paid $41 may have had a maximum bid of $75.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    Losing by $1 only means that there was one person willing to pay more than you. The person that paid $41 may have had a maximum bid of $75.
    Matt, fair enough, and I realized that. But it's still frustrating.

Why don't you consider one of the internet dealers such as Patrick Leach or Akbar & Jeff?

T.Z.

5. Chris,

I went through what you're going through. Deals can be had on that auction site, sure, but to me they aren't worth the hassle. I only bid on stuff when I know exactly what I'll pay for it and if I don't really care if I get it. Sniping, shipping, fraud, auction checking...not worth it to me.

I think Tony's got a great idea. I'd check Leach's list.

Chris,

Send me your mailing address via a PM. I have a vintage one you may have. It's missing two small parts, but I'll even include those parts from another plane. It's certainly worth restoring.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan Nayar View Post
    Chris,

I only bid on stuff when I know exactly what I'll pay for it and if I don't really care if I get it.

Same here.
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I hate that auction site. I know what I will pay for something or what it is worth to me... I won't get wrapped up in bidding wars and can go the rest of my life w/out an impuse buy.
    The couple of decent transactions I had were "buy it now" kinds where you make an offer and the seller can accept or decline.
    I don't even look at that site anymore, I'd rather look harder to find what I'm looking for & maybe that takes more time & costs more... but that's me.

Greg

I agree here. I've had a few phone conversations with Patrick and bought a few planes from him.

Once he emailed me on the price of a plane I was bidding on, saying he thought my bid was too high.

Told him I was mad at the other bidder and wanted to make him pay. He did too .

Oh Yes, on the unmentionable site.

I agree here. I've had a few phone conversations with Patrick and bought a few planes from him.

Once he emailed me on the price of a plane I was bidding on, saying he thought my bid was too high.

Told him I was mad at the other bidder and wanted to make him pay. He did too .

Now if I can only get my hands on a Stanley 101.

With the Leachmeister, if you email him him, telling what you are looking for, he, more than likely, will have one or know where one is. His tool inventory is far more extensive than the monthly list. Many of the tools on the monthly list are aimed at the collector in us and if you want a user, tell him and you'll probably save a few bucks.

T.Z.

12. I can second that. I emailed Tom Bruce looking for user jack and block planes for my high school shop class; I told him Handyman quality were fine, and that I wanted a 60 1/2 for myself. I found myself with two big boxes in short order; the jack plane order included a very decent type 11 or so Bailey (which did NOT get to the school) and the block plane order included nice low angle block at a reasonable price that is now one of my favorite small planes.

Only $45 for a new one, what's the big issue?

If you think it is hard to get a 60 1/2 at a reasonable price, just start looking for a 65!

The 60 1/2 is a fine plane, but I do know what you mean when you say that it's hard to find a reasonable antique sample on ebay. As others have suggested, I'd look for a reputable dealer--that way, you also won't get a chipped mouth or some other irritating damage.

For what it's worth, when I was searching for a good one, I looked at the difference between the various prices and just went for the Lee Valley low angle block plane instead. It's one of the least expensive Veritas planes.