Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new turning idea what do you think?

Talking new turning idea what do you think?

i was recently invited to a cedar dinner and while i was there i saw a large peice of horseradish it was a bigenough peice to turn, i thought about it then went to see how soft it was and it was actually hard anyone else ever thought of turning something like this? youd be able to eat while turning if you could get the shavings to fly into your mouth,,

another idea would be to stack up circut boards and epoxy them togethere and make a bowl
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

I really think you have a need to take some time off.

OMG horseradish flying!!! that sounds insanely painful, the fumes would overcome most people I'm sure. And your tools would smell forever. A big celeriac root however would be net, with all the "grain" pattern in them and all...

Circuit boards would stink! and the embedded wire may pull out too much unless the tools were SUPER sharp

+1 to Bill S's comment

horseradish....m-m-m-m g-o-o-o-d. Wonder what horseradish and habanero go like together....maybe a singed pucker. If you could totally infuse a watermelon with hardener or poly, would make an interesting pattern when turned, whereas a cantelope would be boring. Boredom though is the mother of art, or something about....

Stay in school, Curtis.

What were you smoking! Just kidding.

Concentrate on FORM first. That is what will bring you to the next level. If the shape is not pleasing, once the surprise effect is diminished; it is still a common piece.

Richard Raffan,"After the colors have faded and the grain patterns have become obscure, only the form of a bowl will ensure its survival as a desirable object. A bowl of spectacular color or grain will draw gasps of admiration regardless of its shape, but this is no indication of how good a bowl it is. It is the timber that is being praised, not the bowl. While it is all very well to use grain and color to stunning effect, theses characteristics will never outlast the shape--the most important aspect of a bowl."
    Gordon

I think the big tuber question has been adequately, umm...addressed...

On the circuit board idea, the issue is that there is a lot of metal in circuit boards; some of it not exactly what you want to ingest. So you have the flying metal issue as well as the potential health issues from ingestion/absorption, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

well i didnt really think about the circut board much, but i was thinking unused ones with nothing attatched or it could be exspencive.

as for the horseradish i wasnt smoking anything just got really bored at the cedar meal i was invited to and saw a big peice of horseradish root another food could be radish they are hard too. using food would be fun you wouldnt get much form with something that small but you you could take it to one of those arts food shows and be the only one there. ive also seen a couple things where people have turned corncobs, just thought itd be interesting and different from the beaten lathe

Wear your nose pllugs!

It was a sader meal I think.
    Bob

You've been using too much oil based fininsh in an enclosed, unventilated space. Open a window, take a breath, and look at this repy to an earlier post of mine. Paul was apparently too long in an enclosed space himself. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62419

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Engle View Post
    ha I even turned a sugar beet one time.... and only one time. .
    It's much prettier and far less messy if you stick to wood. Didja get that stick-wood, stick-wood, stick-wo... oh never mind. Excuse me while I go open a door. I need a little ventilation.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

ur signature even says "try something new"

Quote Originally Posted by curtis rosche View Post
    well i didnt really think about the circut board much, but i was thinking unused ones with nothing attatched or it could be exspencive.
    There is metal inside circuit boards most of the time...they are multilayer unless they are extremely old. I was not speaking about components; rather, the electrical pathways built into the circuit boards.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yep. You got me there. Give it a try, and be sure to post pics. I'm to far from you to volunteer to help clean up the mess.
    Brian

Sawdust Formation Engineer
    in charge of Blade Dulling

id have to beable to find one bigenough to turn first

LOL. While I was in high school I worked in a restaurant and had to grind up fresh horseradish root into horseradish paste. you might just change your mind on that after the first cut. Besides - there ain't much "figure" in those roots. And you thought cantaloupe would be boring. Turning it would not be boring, but the finished product very well might be. But you will not have any sinus problems for awhile after the flushing out you're going to get. Just call it the voice of experience.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]