Thread: What is the best way to cut spiral pipe?

What is the best way to cut spiral pipe?

Any ideas on neatly and quickly cutting 8" and 6" spiral dust collector pipe?

I have a 14" abrasive saw, and have thought of lowering the blade partially into the pipe, locking it with the chain and rotating the pipe. Never tried that, it sounds a bit iffy.

Also have a sawzall with a long metal blade, but I think that would be difficult to get a clean, straight cut.

Never had much luck with metal shears, especially when I come to a seam.

All suggestions appreciated.

Rick Potter

We did a lot of this when we installed DC at PFW. Take a large regular screwdriver and hammer it into the pipe at an angle, using the corner of the screwdriver to cut a gash. Then use a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. It is quick and easy. Use a marker for the line. Only takes a minute or so per cut.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

If you're a tool junkie, it's an excuse to buy a metal-cutting bandsaw. I have one of the little 4"x6" jobs that run about $200 and it has long paid for itself. You'd probably want one of the larger ones - a 6" x 9" (cut part way through the pipe, then roll it for the rest of the cut) or a 8"x10" if you want to do everything in single passes.

The metal cutting saws are all imports until you get to some of the bigger ones.

My DC system was mostly plastic but I had some metal work to do in order to hook up blast gates and flex line but these shears worked very well...but, yeah, seams were a bit tough.

The jigsaw sounds like a great idea and pretty darn fast, too. I used it to cut up some derelict duct under my house in order to get it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I would use my corded sheet metal "nibbler" after punching a hole.

I'd use a plasma cutter an set up something so I can rotate the pipe and keep the torch still.

Since I'm guessing you don't have a plasma cutter, I've seen it done with cutoff wheels in a 4-1/2" angle grinder. Harbor Freight's 4-1/2" angle grinders are one of their good buys and you could get out of there with a grinder and a box of cutoff wheels for about $20.

I marked the cut all the way around the spiral pipe with a magic marker, started the cut with a hacksaw then completed the cut with the jigsaw. Worked great.

Chris

Thanks

I will try the jigsaw method, unless someone gives me a plasma cutter.

Rick P

I have a automotive tool that has small circular roatating blades on a chain that is adjustable with a 12" handle. I bought it at my local NAPA store, it is designed to cut tailpipes and muffler pipe it worked great for me. I think it cost about 20 bucks,you just rotate it back and forth till it cuts through the pipe. Very clean cut.