Thread: Holtzapffel Bench

Holtzapffel Bench

Hello All,

Long time lurker to this site and I finally have something to add. I'd like to thank all prevoius posters for sharing as it has helped me very much.
    Last summer I attended the Chris Schwarz workbench seminar at Lie Nielsen and I finally finished my bench, almost. It still needs a finish which will be 50/50 blo turpentine. The carcass of the bench was my wife's uncomfortable computer desk/bench (to tall) which didn't quite work out, but I saw the potential in it. The top of the bench is a discarded oak office door which I don't recommend but it was free. The vise chops are soft maple which I milled from local trees a few years ago. I used cherry and apple for the vise handles and knobs which were also milled up and shaped with a spokeshave. I used the economy bench screws which Chris mentions in his book. One of the nuts was way out of square and I had to do a lot of filing to get it to work. The tail vise and Veritas dogs were given to me by a nieghbor who's husband had passed away and she thought I could use them.
    I took Chris's advice and moved the tail vise as close to the front as I could. I added the oak to the front legs to give me a more subsantial clamping surface ,I think it looks better too. I didn't fix the the tail vise like Chris as I didn't like the look of the steel jaw showing and I had face grain to glue to from the door end so I added the maple let in piece. All the chops were squared up by hand and only the door was ripped to width with a circular saw.

I'll post more pictures after I apply the finish.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bench

Welcome to the creek. That is a nice writeup on a very nice bench. I am in the long drawn out process of designing and accumulating materials for a bench. I only hope it looks as good as yours when I'm done.

Are the back bench legs 2x? Does it move much? What is in the drawer, or is it sand?

I am wondering because I have a top from a closed school, but it needs legs. I've been thinking about a design I saw somewhere, where the base was a sand filled box.

Thanks

Blog Entries

I want one

Very nice

Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

jim

Good economic use of what you had around you! I am more impressed with these types of innovations over those of us (guilty as charged...VERY guilty) who spend lottsa money "acquiring the best".
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks Guys,

Randal the original legs were about 3.5"x3.5" the bottom draw is holding tools, molding planes, marking guages etc. It doesn't move in use at all it's quite heavy. I can move it myself if I need to . Sand would be a good way to add mass to a bench though. The orignal carcase is pine with a 1.5" thick top which I planed flat then I then glued the office door to that for nearly 4" thick top.

Dave

New pictures after finish

I applied the blo/turpentine this weekend. Thanks for looking.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice David, that's some bench you have there!