Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First All-Purpose Router Advice

Pc 890

My first router set was the Porter Cable 890 series. Fixed and plunge base. I really have learned a lot with that combo. If I had to "do it over again". I might opt for the Triton (which is plunge only based). I think you can get them on sale for around $180.
    Last edited by Scott D Johnson; 03-21-2008 at 1:55 PM.

2. I have the Bosch 1617EVS combination. It it 2.25hp. I bought an extra motor housing for the router table.

If I were going to only have one router it would be the DeWalt 621. It meets the requirements of a solo router. It has plenty of power, is variable speed, built in dust collection, hand grip switch, is a plunge router and not too heavy for hand held use.

Fine Woodworking just did a test and liked the Bosch the best of the combos. I have the Bosch combo and like it. You will also want to get the Colt or a small router for light edge work or trim work.

Dan

I sold my Bosch kit (which is good.. but not great IMO) and a DW 621 and got the Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP Combo with Body Grip on the fixed base. I have a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP under my router talbe.

Do I regret selling the Bosch and DW 621?... Good routers but the Milwaukee is the best router I ever used over 36 years period.. And of course that's my opinion.

Good luck...

Sarge..

I highly recommend reading Pat Warner's router website.
    http://www.patwarner.com
    IMO he is extremely knowledgeable and honest, and he has numerous pages such as "what is the best SINGLE router for me to buy, if I can just get one?" etc...
    He recommends the dewalt combo.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post

My question: for an all-purpose router, is variable speed important? And is it smarter to jump on this deal and buy a plunge base later or is that not cost effective?

Thanks so much for your guidance.

Zayd
    I think VS is very important.

I think "how the tool feels in your hands" is even more important. Go grab some routers. Hold on to them. Spin them up in the store and see how they feel in your hands while running.

I bought a (very popular) router because it had the power and features I needed. More importantly, I picked it up and said, "Yeah, this is the one."
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

I went with the Triton 2 1/2 HP because I can attach it to table without lift assist and adjust bit easily as well as use it as a hand router. Got great review in Fine Woodworking. Less than $200, and no regrets.

Wow, incredible information from all of you... thanks so much!

Dave -- thanks for the Pat Warner link... great info on his site.

You've all convinced me to go for the extra power, as this will be an all-purpose router (for now . I'm also going to take your advice and see how each machine feels in my hands.

I'll certainly keep everyone posted -- thanks again!

Zayd

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Williams View Post
    If I were going to only have one router it would be the DeWalt 621. It meets the requirements of a solo router. It has plenty of power, is variable speed, built in dust collection, hand grip switch, is a plunge router and not too heavy for hand held use.
    It really is a gem. I just got mine last week based on Pat Warner's review and other Creekers' recommendations. It's a pleasure to use, especially with Pat's offset base. Smooth as silk and accurate too.
    - Tom

Blog Entries
    Don't you have to spin the motor to adjust the height on a PC690 (890 too I think)? I would find that a bit troublesome for table use. the 690 is a great little workhorse and has remained little changed for something like 40 years. A great example of don't fix it if it ain't broke.

The common saying is that if you can only have one router, get a plunge. I believe this saying predates the common use of router tables as swapping motors is a lot easier than taking a router in and out of a table.

Routers are like some other tools, they seem to gather. I've got a half dozen some folks have more, many have less. A good combo kit will replace a few less flexible units. If I was starting over I would get the Milwaukee 5616-24, use the fixed base in the table and the plunge base for everything else (about $200). However, the 690 is a lot nicer router than I started out with (although I still run that 30 year old little guy).

I guess in a nutshell I would expect the 690 will serve you well and quickly be added to. If you want to spend a little less that the 690 plus whatever you get to augment it, buy a kit first. There are many good ones. Here's a good review although it is a little dated: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=24090
    and some more info: http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki....aspx?id=28714
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

A caution about the 690 plunge base

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this--The 690 fixed base is a great router. The plunge base for the 690 is-uhhh-less well regarded. The 693 base is reputed to be too stiff to plunge smoothly and tends to bind. I have the P-C 890 fixed base with the handle/dust collector and just got the plunge base for it. The plunge base seems to be the same as the DeWalt kits but machined to fit the Porter-Cable motor. The dust collection with the "grip vac" handle is pretty good on the fixed base and the newer plunge base has through-the-column dust collection same as the DeWalt plungers. The built in dust collection works best when the entire hole in the base is covered. I haven't had much luck with integral dust collection when doing edge work.

Having said all that, I use a Freud FT2000E in a table 90% of the time probably because I don't do many large projects. The best advice is to handle as many different models as you can and pick the one that feels best. Good luck and have fun

Curt

If you are going to consider use in a router table, you should consider the following:
    == an opening in the base large enough to clear the largest bit you expect to use, such as a raised-panel bit. 3 1/2" is a pretty good target.
    == the ability to extend the collet through the router base (and further) is helpful, otherwise you may have difficulty getting the height setting you desire when you add in the thickness of the table/plate and possibly the 1/4" to 1/2" thickness of a jig base.
    == variable speed is important for any large diameter bits.

Having said that, I regularly use the DeWalt 618/619 and the PC 890 combos for hand-held use, but prefer the PC 7518 under the table -- primarily for the above reasons. I would also consider the Bosch combo.

My first "good" router was PC 690 kit with fixed and plunge bases. I don't remember for sure but I think I paid about $120 on sale at Lowes. I used it in the RT for roundovers and rabbets, and in the plunge base for handheld use. I never needed to swing any bit bits, so it was plenty powerful and the VS was not missed. I eventually got a Hitachi MV12 and a Router Raizer for the RT, but I still haven't needed to spin anything big. I have no regrets about buying the PC.

If all you can afford is a 690, it's a good router that'll be around for a long time. And it beats having no router at all. If you can swing more money, the bigger kits like the DeWalt 621 are still more versatile.

Question ??????????????

I've been watching this post with great interest. I too am in need of router that will have the primary purpose of being mounted in a table. Considering the MW 3hp or Triton.

One thing that hasn't come up in this discussion...that I've seen...is the question of sound levels. Are all routers super loud...are some more quiet than others? Currently, I have a PC100 and it just screams. It's too loud to deal with even with muffs on. I was at a store recently and someone was demo'ing a bosch router and it seemed quiet.

Thoughts on this?

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!