Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First All-Purpose Router Advice

Quote Originally Posted by matt dumney View Post
    I've been watching this post with great interest. I too am in need of router that will have the primary purpose of being mounted in a table. Considering the MW 3hp or Triton.

One thing that hasn't come up in this discussion...that I've seen...is the question of sound levels. Are all routers super loud...are some more quiet than others? Currently, I have a PC100 and it just screams. It's too loud to deal with even with muffs on. I was at a store recently and someone was demo'ing a bosch router and it seemed quiet.

Thoughts on this?
    The routers I've used are all loud enough that you'll want to wear hearing protection, but I've never owned one that was signicantly louder than others. I've also never been bothered by the noise when wearing protection. The cutter on the wood makes a fair amount of noise no matter what, and that's a variable. Craftsman, Freud FT2000/FT1700, Bosch 1617/1619, Makita 3612?, Milwaukees 5615/5625.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 03-25-2008 at 9:55 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Matt, my Festool routers are the quietest I've found, but I'd still not use them without hearing protection, even for a few seconds. All of them are "quieter" at slower speed settings, but the sound of the cut, itself, adds to the mix, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If your application is in a table, I don't think you can beat the PC 7518, despite its age. Its large base opening and significant collet height available beyond the base are key factors. I would not recommend it for general purpose use, however, because it's just too big.

As I mentioned in a couple of other threads, the Triton has some nice features for table applications. I just don't have enough time on mine yet to really comment on anything other than its "features", i.e., anything related to usability.

Quote Originally Posted by zayd alle View Post
    Good morning, all.

My question: for an all-purpose router, is variable speed important? And is it smarter to jump on this deal and buy a plunge base later or is that not cost effective?
    I would highly recommend getting a variable speed router. I find I change speeds quite frequently to give me a better quality cut on different wood/bit combinations. By the way, one other feature which I personally think is critical for hand-held routing is a built-in work light.

I have the Triton 2 1/4 HP which is a very nice router, especially for parking under-the-table. Due to the surprising lack of a work light, I find the Triton annoying for much of the hand-held work I do.

I also have one of the lower priced Craftsman combinations (17543 - fixed and plunge base; link below) which I think is a fabulous value for the price. I leave the fixed base in my second router table for when I might need it, and I can swap the motor with the plunge-base to rout by hand.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...inate+Trimmers

My Router Experience

Hello, I thought I would offer my two cents. I purchased the Triton and had some warranty problems and had a heck of a time getting it serviced. I had to send it to NY and wait 4 weeks to get it back.

I had the newer PC plunge and had several problems with it. All covered under warranty, but still a hassle. I still have it, but have dedicated it to a bit and don't use it that often.

For the last year and a half I have had the new Milwaukee plunge/fixed base kit, and it was the best purchase I have made in a long time. Excellent power, very smoothe and easy to handle, especially with the bodygrip on the fixed base. The plunge is also always smoothe operating, never binds like the PC does. Also it has a 5 year warranty, made in the USA and there are several local service centers in town...perfect tool to me. IMHO you cannot go wrong with the Milwaukee.