Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Karl Holtey $5000 ?!?!

I would also wager that the percentage of people in this forum that own those planes is higher than you think. I'll bet the percentage is much closer to 5% than 1%. While that's not a high percentage... that's a lot of people. I know of 8 to 10 on this forum that own them, and I don't know nearly everyone that contributes on this forum.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    There's something that really bothers me about these type of threads though. If you, like me, can't see spending that kind of money for a plane, that's fine, but it strikes me as pretty arrogant to state or imply that there is some sort of moral deficiency that leads one to do so. What difference does it make to anyone else if someone finds a Holtey or Anderson plane worth their money? Who cares if there are people that buy a Holtey and never use them? There are many people who spend much more than that for art that to my eye, is far inferior. Conversely there is no inherent virtue in buying flea market planes for $5. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

Well said!

It reminds me of George Carlin's bit about how people who drive faster than you are maniacs, and people who drive slower are idiots -- it's all perspective.

Of course, woodworking, like most pursuits, is subject to One True Way disease.

And this whole discussion is silly, because REAL WOODWORKERS MAKE THEIR OWN PLANES!!!
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    ...'course you brought it back.... how do you throw away a boomerang???

Cheers -

Rob
    (adding no more value to this discussion....)

I once threw one away ... then I threw it away again ... and again ....and again ....and again ...and again............................................. .................................................. ...................................

Regards from Perth

Derek

...'course you brought it back.... how do you throw away a boomerang???

Cheers -

Rob
    (adding no more value to this discussion....)

I also still have about $50.00 Australian for the cab fare from the airport, when I next get back there.

Funny thing about that boomerang was that it was a gift for a co-worker.
    I had to bring it through the security screening check point at the nuclear power plant we both work at to give it to him. Needless to say, it generated a little discussion.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 03-25-2008 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    but it strikes me as pretty arrogant to state or imply that there is some sort of moral deficiency that leads one to do so.
    There are kids in just a few miles from you (as if distance makes a difference) who can't afford the basic necessities of life and you would spend 5 grand on plane? Yes, that is morally deficient. I'd like to think Americans used to care about their fellow man more, but I think it might just be nostalgia for a past that never existed.

http://www.utilitarian.net/singer/by/1972----.htm

Read that, and tell me you can honestly justify 5000$ for a plane. It leads to some uncomfortable conclusions.

It's hockey tickets for a year. Rob Lee
    If the Leafs miss the playoffs again this year, you might need to recalculate that one Rob! Doubting you were referring to Sens tickets...

As to the price of a plane, there's little I can offer that hasn't been said in one way shape or form already.

These posts do make some interesting reading if nothing else.

Greg

I've spent over ten thousand on a stereo system before and all I could do with that is sit around and listen to it. I enjoyed it and it sounded good for many years to come.
    I might be able to be convinced to spend that kind of money on the plane if I felt confident enough that It really made a differencein my woodworking. I'm not at the point to tell if a $100 plane will make me a better wood worker, I'm still experimenting with them. I can "gouge" out a chunk of wood with a $5 plane just as easily as I can with a $5000 plane.

The costs of ones tools boils down to priorities, simple as that. It's not a matter of need... but a matter of want.
    Ted Jay
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Do you do this woodwork stuff for a hobby or for work? what about mountain biking? are you earning money while on the trail? shame on you when there are starving children in Africa. Shame...I certainly hope that picture of you on a mountain bike was taken by a professional. I know you don't own a camera.

I think we are done

Hey guys.

I think we are about done talking about Karl Holtey Planes and the cost of them.

We don't need to judge who spends their money on what. I believe it is against the rules around here, whether you agree with those rules or not.

Dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bickford View Post
    Do you do this woodwork stuff for a hobby or for work? what about mountain biking? are you earning money while on the trail? shame on you when there are starving children in Africa. Shame...I certainly hope that picture of you on a mountain bike was taken by a professional. I know you don't own a camera.
    \

I didn't claim to be a moral person.

Warning

This thread is coming perilously close to having personal attacks in it. There will be no more of this folks or I will lock the thread.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

So Mr Holtey being a woodworker is also a machinist. the site list he had a hobby of model engineering. Sure would like to see the other stuff he has done, considering the fine detail of all the parts that go into one of his planes.
    Ted
    "And remember, this fix is only temporary, unless it works." - Red Green

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES

Come on now gang, BE NICE!!! This is a thread about a $ 5000 plane.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

The slope in this thread is getting mighty slippery and not in the good fun way we all like!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I can remember a show on economics that gave the example of how hard it was for extremely rich people to spend all the money they have. No it wasn't the movie "Brewster's Millions".

The people involved threw a birthday party for their dogs, and invited some other rich folks dogs, and the party was on. Limo service for the dogs, with each dog getting a diamond collar, along with the most delightful fancy spelling food you could imagine.

I am sure that the total cost of the party to the owner of the dog, was less than the cost of a pack of chewing gum to most people if you took it as a percentage of the total income they make.

On it's own it is bizzare to most, but when they divulged how much the owner of the dog gave to charity, some might argue that the cost of the party was cheap.

Throwing money at poverty has never solved the poverty problem, and in some cases it has only helped to make it worse.

There ain't nothin' well about welfare.

However using money to love people with has always solved the problem.
    Of course pets need love too.

So when I see that an object is made with love and skill, that goes far beyond mere craft work to being an object of art, then the intrinsic value becomes greater than the sum of the parts.

If you just want to bang around with a plane, then a Holtey is not for you.

Can anyone tell me why for some reason every once in a while I find myself giving the dogs a piece of steak off my plate.