Thread: Sears Compucarve ,Software only good 30days?

Sears Compucarve ,Software only good 30days?

Was talking to the tool guy at Sears. Said the compucarve they sell only has a 30 day software trial. After that you must purchase the software for $90.00. Said customers are trying to return them and are madder than hell.
    I have never heard of any complaints on here about that issue. I would be mad too if that was the case.

that's a new one I have not heard of. When I bought mine back in 2006 the sofware came with it, the demo software was good for 30 days and if you bought the machine and loaded the software that came with it, it overrode the demo but also took a couple features of the software away that you had to purchase at a later date.
    Kurt

You never know what "brilliant" marketing things people will come up with next. I ALMOST bought one of those things. I actually did buy one (they had an open box/return discounted). Then I read about all the problems people were having and returned it, without even trying it.

I'd be mad too if I paid about 1800 for that thing and then they wanted another 90 for software..

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Was talking to the tool guy at Sears. Said the compucarve they sell only has a 30 day software trial. After that you must purchase the software for $90.00. Said customers are trying to return them and are madder than hell.
    I have never heard of any complaints on here about that issue. I would be mad too if that was the case.
    I don't think that's the case. I believe the software will run in demo mode until it is registered. Upon registration you are given a license number that unlocks the additional features. I know this because I bought a used broken unit on a whim. There was no software included. I downloaded the software from CarveWright's website and contacted them for registration. Once they verified that the machine had changed ownership (they actually called the previous owner) they issued me a license number that unlocked the software at no charge.

Rob Will Guest
    Mine is working fine. Software was included when I bought it (one of the first 200 Beta machines).
    My daughter used it tonight to make a sign for a school project.
    Rob

I thought that sounded funny but I know this guy from shopping there a lot. We were just talking. He said the guys at the mall store worked on commission and were getting sick of all the returns. Said you had to invest $90 for the software after 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    I thought that sounded funny but I know this guy from shopping there a lot. We were just talking. He said the guys at the mall store worked on commission and were getting sick of all the returns. Said you had to invest $90 for the software after 30 days.
    Sounds like they have additional software other than the basic operating software. And people are mad that after 30 days the demo stuff quits. This has become the standard practice in the computer industry. Computer controlled machining apparently has the same. Problem is not all woodworkers are used to the computer environment and may not know this is industry practice.

We will give you a taste of this really good stuff. But after 30 days you have to pay for it. Kinda sounds like a practice used by not so legal self employed individuals.