Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer Combo

Hammer A3-31 Jointer/Planer Combo

Well, I finally decided on which model J/P I'm purchasing. And it wasn't even one that I had initially given any thought to.

To get a price quote on the Hammer, I had to register. This registration led them to calling me and offering me some free passes to the upcoming New England Wood Expo. That led to us talking about me purchasing one of the models they will have on display there. And then came a great offer which I couldn't refuse.

[insert gloat]
    So...come May 3rd, I'll be the proud owner of a Hammer A3-31
    [end gloat]

If anyone else is planning on attending the show, keep your paws off my stuff and no drool!

I also ordered the digital handwheel, an extension table, and an extra set of knives. I was going to order the dust collection elbow for use in planer mode, but the sales rep said it was an expensive ($50) option that wasn't really necessary. What he did say I needed was a 120mm to 4" reducer. He recommended nordfab.com or airhand.com but I couldn't find it on either of the sites and they are both closed today.

So for those of you that have Euro machines, what do you use to adapt the 120mm port?

Be well,

Doc

It took some work to find the right reducer. After quite a bit of looking around, my MiniMax sales rep suggested one of those heavy, black rubber drainage couplings. Might be called a flexible pipe connector. Works fantastic. Takes a little effort to get a 4" hose on the end, but once on, it's on. Couldn't find a better picture than this during a quick web search.

Don - just read your thread - they asked me how far Hartford was while I was ordering on the phone, then said nevermind, it's sold already - must have been you. Great deal for you to save the shipping costs. I don't have a truck or trailer, so I'd have to rent or borrow anyway.
    Dewey

I've found that the Nordfab fittings are great for a combination machine. I use Nordfab from the machine to the blast gate. From the blast gate to my DC is pretty standard stuff. I ordered my Nordfab stuff from Oneida. For my Minimax fittings (120mm) I had 120mm IDRaw to 5" QF machine connectors made. I use 5" flex, 4" is way too restrictive for these machines.

Congrats, Don. Two of the three Mini Max machines in my shop were purchased via show pickup and were also used as display units at the shows. (My J/P and my BS) It's a great way to buy and can cut the cost considerably. You'll enjoy your new machine when you brink it home!

On the 120mm, I started out using 120mm-5" reducers, but they are long and harder to make fit well on the hoods. Since then, I switched to Fernco rubber sewer pipe unions per Sam Blasco's recommendations. Six bucks at the 'borg. The rubber fitting will slip over the 120mm hood port snuggly and 5" flex hose will slip over the other side and clamp securely with no leaks. A 5" drop is a good fit for your machine...4" is not enough air flow.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Doc,

Oneida can whip up a 120 mm to 4" for you if you need it. They whipped up a 120 mm to 6" one for me...about $35 IIRC. BTW, you may need 'better' than a 4" line to keep chips clear on these Euro machines. They weren't designed to be operated well with poor sucking of a DC system unlike stuff sold here that is sometime designed to expel chips w/out a DC system. Something to keep in mind.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Novak View Post
    ...one of those heavy, black rubber drainage couplings
    That looks like a Fernco adapter. I'll have to look into that, they tend to not be around $10 and the reducers I'm finding are all in the $25+ range.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Dewey View Post
    ...they asked me how far Hartford was while I was ordering on the phone, then said nevermind, it's sold already - must have been you...
    Yup - that would be me

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    I've found that the Nordfab fittings are great for a combination machine. I use Nordfab from the machine to the blast gate. From the blast gate to my DC is pretty standard stuff. I ordered my Nordfab stuff from Oneida. For my Minimax fittings (120mm) I had 120mm IDRaw to 5" QF machine connectors made. I use 5" flex, 4" is way too restrictive for these machines.
    I have a Jet DC-1100 (upgraded with canister filter) with a single 6" x 20 foot flex hose that I connect to each machine as I use it. I move too much to install permanent piping. I currently have a 4" reducer at the end of the hose, but have been planning on increasing all the ports on my machines to 6". This may be a good time to do that. Then I'll need a 120mm to 6" adapter.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...I switched to Fernco rubber sewer pipe unions ...4" is not enough air flow...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    ...you may need 'better' than a 4" line to keep chips clear on these Euro machines...
    LOL...you replied while I was typing my response above. At least now I know that we're thinking alike!

Thanks guys.

Be well,

Doc
    Last edited by Don Abele; 03-21-2008 at 7:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote

I'm going to that show, how early do I have to get there to get a chance to drool on your machine? As a courtesy I will wear a bib!

Congrats on that purchase, I am turning green as we speak. I wish Laguna was doing that show, seems they don't care for the North East, or maybe Norm and Delta have been holding a turf war?

Don, if you use the Fernco adapter, you can probably put a cheap 6" to 5" metal reducer from the 'borg on the end of your 6" hose. That will be an excellent combination.

I actually need to pick up another Fernco this weekend for my slider. Right now, I'm using a foil tape "adapter" as the metal reducer had to go when I added my router setup awhile back due to clearances...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-21-2008 at 1:26 PM.
    --

Since you are getting a show display price I won't ask you how much that is, but can you tell those of us, who don't want to jump through all those hoops, what the initial regular price is?

Hi Don,
    I've got the A3-31 and what I ended up using was the JET JW1039 Multiple Step Adapter. It has 6 steps 6" down to 1" and costs about $12.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Darby View Post
    Since you are getting a show display price I won't ask you how much that is, but can you tell those of us, who don't want to jump through all those hoops, what the initial regular price is?
    Basic machine is on sale for $3,000 (MSRP $3,500) plus shipping ($429 to residential Mass address). Price is going up 10% come April 1st.
    Dewey

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...I switched to Fernco rubber sewer pipe unions...
    Jim, meant to ask you...are you using a 4" Fernco?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian MacDonald View Post
    ...I ended up using was the JET JW1039 Multiple Step Adapter...
    Brian, this is what I have at the end of my 6" flex hose right now reducing it down to 4". It's an option I'll definitely look at.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    Jim, meant to ask you...are you using a 4" Fernco?
    Yea, the "four inch" Fernco, because it's designed for the heavy pipe, fits right over the 120mm hood and it's thickness is pretty much what you need to go inside a 5" flex hose. You'll need to play a little with a 6"-5" reducer on that side, but it shouldn't be all that hard to get to work. Worse case, you can ask someone to send you a foot of 5" flex as an "adapter". I know I don't have any scraps anymore, but I suspect "someone" at SMC would have a little lying around!
    --