Thread: Anybody else wish NYW & TOH episodes were on itunes?

Anybody else wish NYW & TOH episodes were on itunes?

Doing some research on plans for bunk beds. Browsing thru New Yankee workshop website I came on a revelation... I'm not willing to spend $25 for them to send me a DVD (they are phasing out VHS) and measured drawing for something I'm not 100% sure I'd like to build. I'd happily pay $1.99 to download it from itunes plus an extra $5 for the plan (pdf?) if I decided to build it.

The latest season (cabinets) is on "special" for $99 - doesn't include any measured drawings... Awfully expensive for a show that airs on PUBLIC television. Maybe I'll have to figure out how to put together a myth TV and have it record all the shows. (my Verizon DVR doesn't have enough storage space to hold them all).

I think they'd do tons more volume via itunes... Thoughts? Should we start a write in campaign?
    Dewey

Hi,

Not a bad idea.

Michael

What's itunes

Even though its on PBS the producer still wants to make as much as he can off the show. Every PBS station and now DIY network pays a tidy sum for the shows. Its the economics dilema. Sell a few for a large amount. Or sell many for a low amount. I think most people selling choose the few for large amount.

I bought an inexpensive DVD recorder ($50 on clearance from RadioShack) and use it to record woodworking shows from my DVR. At extended play, one DVD will hold 12 half hour episodes. It frees up space on our DVR and makes it easy to find and view past episodes.

Dave

I have a mythTV setup, unfortunately my local PBS only aired the first three shows then started their fund drives. They NEVER show TOS or NYW during those!
    I just hope they will pick up where they left off so I can catch the rest. They show on the weekend when i want to be in the shop

I do the same as David does. I have the entire 9 kitchen episodes series on DVD. I do the highest recording quality, one hour per DVD. They are cheap and I prefer the better quality playback.

I record the old episodes shown on DIY network. When I record them to DVD, I edit out the commericals. I have most of David Marks on my own DVDs too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Parker View Post
    I bought an inexpensive DVD recorder ($50 on clearance from RadioShack) and use it to record woodworking shows from my DVR. At extended play, one DVD will hold 12 half hour episodes. It frees up space on our DVR and makes it easy to find and view past episodes.

Dave
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

THey're missing from Netflix too. It's annoying as netflix has seemingly every other TV series that is released on DVD.

I would buy an ipod just to get a bigger dose of NYW. I would pay $1.99 to watch some of the older episodes. I really wish CableVision would pick up DIY on iO so that I could watch it more than once a week. No new episode in about a month here - Tomorrow they'll show the wet bar on WLIW.

I think that if this kind of thing did end up on iTunes, it would NOT be for a buck ninty-nine...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't know that I would want to watch norm do that much gluing and nailing but I wish the previous 25 years of woodwright shop was available.

You're lucky you're not in the SF bay area. It seems to be pledge for 3 weeks ever 3 months on KQED. The schedule for NYW and TOH is completely unpredictable. During pledge, it is preempted by shows like repeats of specials on 50's music or "the wrinkle cure". We stopped giving money about 2 years ago. I've sent 3 emails asking why they schedule for TOH and NYW seems to be completely random. In spite of their claiming they always respond quickly, I've NEVER gotten a response.

I'd love for them to be on netflix for itunes. I'd finally be able to actually watch them