Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advise on Turning Tools

Advise on Turning Tools

This fall I have a Turning Class with Alan Lacer scheduled. I have only done pens so far and only been turning them for about 6-7 months. I'm taking the class to learn more about turning but I do not have the necessary tools yet for bowls etc. I have been looking and pricing different tools but would like some advise on what I have been thinking about. From Packard Woodworks I have a price on Crown tools of $223 + shipping. Their own tool line, the Price is $221 + $12 shipping.
    CraftUSA the Sorby tools are $329 + shipping If I drop the Roughing Gouge from Sorby it will bring the price down to around $237 + shipping. I have a 3/4 " roughing gouge that would work so a new one is not a "must have", its a "like to have."
    Is the Sorby that much better then the Crown and Packard that it would justify the extra $100 ? And what are you thoughts on the Crown and Packard tools.
    I know there is a lot of knowledge out there and I'm just trying to draw on some of it.
    The list of tools I have to buy comes from the tool list needed from Mr Lacer and the school.
    Thanks to all

Ron, buying tool "Sets" is usually not reccommended because you can end up with something you already have and/or something you may not even use. It's usually best to buy what you need (want?) when you need it. I have bowl gouges from Sorby, Crown and Thompson. They are all good but my go to gouges now are the ones from Doug Thompson Lathe tools. They are not only priced reasonably (theydo come unhandled) but they stay sharp much longer and cut just as well as my others. They are also made with V10 steel instead of M2.

Making a wood tool handle is not difficult and Lacer can take you through it. He also did an article on handle making in, I think last year, AAW Journal. I've been going with aluminum handles and I really like the additional heft. Oneway makes them with different size openings in each end as do several other manufacturers. I recently got a handle for my 3/8 Thommpson gouge from Dave Peebles and that combo is REALLY nice.

Ron,

Turning tools are just like shoes. What style or brand I like may not tickle your fancy.

In my humble opinion.... I have several Sorby tools and I like and use them all. I have several Crown tools and I like and use them all. There really isn't a significant difference between any of the major brands when you are considering tools made from the steel IMHO. Some folks like a deep flute....some like the U flute.....some like the V flute.....it's a matter of what you are doing and what strikes you personal taste. IMHO if you happen to buy a tool...get it properly sharpened for your style of turning...then you'll like that tool. I have had tools....sharpened them....didn't care for them....then found I wasn't sharpening a tool properly....reshaped and sharpened it....practiced turning with it.....and changed my opinion.

Typically....and I don't know about any of the "house" brands that Packard...CSUSA and others have.....typically...the difference from my understanding, is the steel is the same but they don't have the fit and finish that the name brands will......even though they may have been made by the same name brand......
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I think the tool list is a suggested list of tools to bring. A good instructor would work with you on the tools you have.
    On SRG, I would recommend none of the above. The P&N SRG is a much safer and better made tool. It has a round shank instead of a flat shank. You will have to do something terribly wrong and stupid to snap the shank. (Thompson makes even a better SRG, it has 3/4" shank instead of 1/2"; but I think it is an overkill and always out of stock.)
    You can find a lot of useful information from here:
    http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/faq.asp
    You can also find handle making, sharpening information as well.
    Gordon

I've got a royal mixture of tools. I can say out of what i own that is stamped HSS M2 or what have you they are not all created equal. It shows in the edge they take and hold as well as the sparks that fly when grinding. I've noticed this between brands and I'd say it's due to china specks ver england ver german ver usa. I do however feel that I have gotten my 35.99 or there abouts worth out of my HF set of ash handled lathe tools. I can't say that I use them that much now becasue of the other higher priced tool I've picked up and a better than retail deal. But They have earned thier spot on my tool rack. I offer this advice to you. Harbor Freight sells two big sets of HSS lathe tool one has a redish purple handle and the word on this site is they are better. These run a correct my guys, around 45.00. Buy this set, or at least check these sets out. Then look ahrd at Dougs USA made Tools. Turn you some Handles with your own personal touch and save you a good deal of money and buy the tools you really will use. If you do not have one buy a slow speed grinder and a wolverine jig and vari grind jig you'll save tools and time. I personally do not have any of Dougs tools as of yet but i've talked to several people who do have them and read over the specks. You can NOT go wrong with the guarantee. Plus Mr Sorby has never stopped what he was doing to talk to me either...... Tools I do own are Sorby, fine tools, Crown, Nice again, Packard, pinnacal, craftsman (carbon) BB, and several that i've made myself and the HF set bless thier heart.

Advise on tools

Thanks for the information. The tool list I have is not optional, its stated as a requirement. Whats optional is sizes. I would like to get the very best right off, but the cost had me hesitant. I found on CraftUSA site that they had tools made for them by Henry Taylor. The cost is very reasonable and I'll order some of what I need there. As my skills improve I'll get the better tools. Right now I need something to learn on but of decent quality. Again thanks to all for your information.

advise on tools

Hi, to all, On the 25th March I'll be 69,and started learning to turn last November.I find I have a good feel on the lathe and have turned some Goblets Bowls and hollowed vessels which Ilike and other people seem to like also. The first "set"of tools I bought were Sorby,I have since added some Taylor, Hamlet and Crown.I use the Sorby a lot but have just got some Crown Pro-PM man these are seriousily good tools. I bought several DVDs and to me the bible of Woodturning,The late Keith Rowley book,WOODTURNING A foundation Course.
    I've learnd to build a sharpining jig how to make most things that will cost you much $s to buy.and most of all how to turn.His teaching has to be good if it makes a usfull turner out of me. So as has been said before Sets are not really nessersery you buy what you need and enjoy the heck out of them. Lots of luck Ron just think positive it all comes togeather in time and you'll get your pleasure, Regards Eugene, slan leat
    I am NEVER always right but i'm ALWAYS never wrong.

Hi Ron,

The best to you, in answer to your question, I MUCH prefer my Crown and Henry Taylor tools over the one Sorby I did have - and sold it. I didn't like the shank nor the handle and found the price a bit too high. But I DO really like both Crown and Henry Taylor, prefer the Crown most of all. best to you in your class and let us know what you decide and how it goes! Jude

Ron,
    Obviously opinions vary on which are the "best", and many of the tools mentioned are approximately equal in cost and edge-holding ability. Repeat, approximately.

If cost is indeed an issue, consider the Benjamin's Best line of tools, available from (somebody fill in here cause I forgot). Reasonable quality for the $$ and can be bought as sets or individually. Am certainly no expert, but can tell little if any difference in edge holding between my BB gouges and Sorby. The Ellsworth signature gouge seems a bit better.

As you learn, you will want to add some high $$ tools and may have a better idea of exactly what to get when you have more experience.
    Richard in Wimberley

Ron I agree with not buying a set. I bought a big set a couple of years ago when I started turning and found over half are collecting dust. I ended up buying a couple of good bowl gouges 3/8" and 1/2". A couple of good spindle gouges again 3/8" and 1/2" and a two roughing gouges 3/4" and 1 1/2". I bought Alan Lacers two skews. These are basically my go to tools. From there I just added as I needed or wanted for lack of a better word. I do have some of the Benjamins Best tools and still use them to this day. I will have to agree that you need to check out the Thompson tools.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Crown sets

Hi all. Not to hijack this thread but I just sold all my old lathe stuff and now am looking at finding a good 8 piece Crown set to have at least a basic set to go along with that jet 1642-2 I still have to put together. Looking for a good source for lathe accessories and tools at a reasonable price. Thanks

Ron,

If you are buying Sorby look to Grizzly to have the best price.

My favorites for value and quality is the Artisan line from Crafts Supply, they are Taylors that weren't shiny enough to be Taylors.

Pinnacle from Woodcraft sets are and OK deal if you can catch them on sale and the set come in a few different combos to avoid the double mentioned earlier.

The only bad tools I ever bought were from a truck load tool sale that rolled thru town. $25 box set of some odd tool shapes, they would not take and/or hold an edge.

Frank
    'Sawdust is better than Prozac'

Ron,

If you want to get a "set" pick up the Harbor Freight red handled HSS tools:
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=35444
    ($49.99 when not on sale)

Then pickup the bowl gouges you want. You'll probably want two different sizes, 1/2" & 3/8" gouges.

This should put you in the under $190 cost area if you get Benjamin Best or another brand from WoodCraft or Doug Thompson.

Depending on what you do with your turning, you may never use everything from the Harbor Freight set. That's fine, at least you won't have dropped 200+ on tools you'll never use.

Most of the tools will eventually be used or modified by you, if you choose to do boxes and other spindle inclined items. For platters & bowls you can get away with just the two different bowl gouges.

If there is a club near you, I'd really recommend checking it out. There are a lot of people there who can help you develop your turning skills and see some of the other possibilities that are out there. To find a club near you check out this link to the AAW: http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

hf turning tools

I went to hf today to check out the " red" set. I must say the picture on the box was so much better than the finish on the tools inside.
    Both sets were made by Windsor Design. I originally bought the red set...but once I opened the box saw how the finish as well as the stain was for lack of a better term "sorry". I turned the car around and returned them for #47066. Much better finish. That set was the worst purchase I have ever made there. I bought the other set to practice my sharpening on...instead of experimenting with my Sorbys.
    Last edited by Vernon Costolo; 03-28-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: mispelled word
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I can't say this strongly enough .... CHECK OUT THE THOMPSON TOOLS! Because they come unhandled, you get a much better tool than the other "name brands" at about the same price and if you can turn pens you can make handles very easily. Because of the steel used and the hardening process, each sharpening lasts longer, thus less sharpening=more turning. If Doug sells you a tool and it is not right or you just don't like it, HE WILL TAKE IT BACK!

Enjoy your work with Alan Lacer -- act like a sponge.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it!