Thread: Jet wet sharpener problem

Jet wet sharpener problem

Today while sharpening lathe gouges on my JET wet sharpener, the motor bogged down all of a sudden, and it's currently not useable. There was initially an audible pulsating to the effort it was putting out, then it got fairly constant, but with hardly any power to the rotation. I tried adjusting the torque adjustment a little, and that seemed to help get the wheel spinning, but it just doesn't have any guts anymore. When I put a gouge to the spinning stone, it stops it within a second or two.

Related info: I hadn't used it in a few months, I got it out today and ran it for about an hour prior to this to dress the wheel with the diamond tool (first time I've done that) and sharpened two other gouges before it quit on me.

Has anyone had a problem like this that they know a fix for? Am I doing something wrong as the operator (can't imagine what)? There's no troubleshooting portion in the manual and customer service is closed until Monday. This was going to be a sharpening weekend but it looks like that's not going to happen now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm still under warranty, so at least there's that. Was hoping not to have to return it though.

Thanks,
    Andy

Mine did that same type of thing when it was new. Jet sent me a new circuit board & that solved the problem.

Mine had the same problem. Amazon replaced it. Jim

thanks

Thanks guys, too bad that this happened but I suppose it could have come at a worse time than a weekend that I conveniently felt like sharpening on, especially during the warranty period, so hopefully it will just be a quick replacement on Monday and no more problems in the future. Any responses from JET on why this is a problem, or is it just a fluke we should expect with all machines of this grade?

Andy

I would guess that they got a bad batch of circuit boards. My area Rockler that I bought mine from had several that were bad. Mine was one of the first sold by that Rockler.

My new sharpener had the same problem after a month of limited use. The varible speed switch was the problem. The switch was backordered so there must have been a lot of problems. The replacement board has been redesigned.

Doug Rogers

resolution (partial)

Spoke with a JET tech service rep on the phone, he said it was likely the circuit board as you guys suggested. He mailed it last monday and I'm waiting for it now. I'll keep you posted on the results, any issues with installation (doing it myself, they said it was simple) that I should be aware of?

Andy

Hi Andy,

The replacement of the circuit board is very simple. Four screws hold the control box cover in place, then you will need to remove the screws holding down the circuit board to the inside of the case. The only issue I had is that the speed control is connected to the circuit board and you need a phillips head eyeglass screwdriver to remove it (which I didn't have on hand). I replaced it in about 10 min and I have no electical skills whatsoever.