Thread: Help ease my mind with TS issue

Help ease my mind with TS issue

Today I made a new aux fence for my miter gauge and faced it with some sticky 220 sandpaper. I assembled, then ran it through the saw to precut the kerfs and knock the ends off at 45 degree angles.

I thought about it and realized that I cut through the sand paper 4 times.....do you think that I dulled the blade appreciably? I couldn't see this being any worse than cutting through osage or some other silicate? hopefully....

Should I avoid doing this every 6 months or so? I would use another blade for this, but then the kerf might not be exact?

Thanks!

JC

Jared

None of this is scientific, but I cut sandpaper from 60-600 grit frequently with a razor knife. The edge is brittle, razor thin and probably made out of the cheapest steel available. Still, I can cut through about 100 stacked 9" sheets before it gets too dull to make a nice cut. Given that your TS blade is probably a decent grade of carbide and that you were only cutting sections of a couple inches 4x, I definitely wouldn't worry about it. I see your issue though, it just "feel" like something that's good for it. Maybe someone who knows some actual facts will chime in.

Andy

You could cut through sandpaper all day without it mattering. Maybe I lack imagination, but I wouldn't even have thought of it as a potential problem.

Hehe, had I not paid $100 for that blade (WWII), I probably would not have either

JC

Well, you are about right when you say it's like cutting through a wood that contains silica (like teak). Silica == sand, so yeah, you're doing some damage to your blade. Four passes, I wouldn't worry about it, and you also aren't cutting through more than just a single sheet, not inches of the stuff like when you are cutting through wood. IMHO, I'd be using a cheaper blade for stuff like that, but I'm just really picky about what I send through my WWII and I've got cheaper blades for doing tasks such as these.

To late now. Don't worry about stuff you can't fix anyway. I wouldn't make a habit of cutting sandpaper but I doubt it can touch carbide to wear it down.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

4 passes through sandpaper with that blade will reduce it to rubble. You might as well take it off and send it to me and I will dispose of it properly.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Jared

You're fine. The natural silica content of many species of wood will have more of a detriment on your blade than that sandpaper did.