Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yates-American Y30 Snowflake bandsaw "gloat" (pics)

Yates-American Y30 Snowflake bandsaw "gloat" (pics)

Hello all,

I have never done one of these "gloat" things, but I thought my latest tool aquisition might be deserving.

I heard a rumor that the owner of a local excavating company had a serious piece of iron in a storage shed believed to be a bandsaw. I called the gentleman and he verified that he did have a pre WWII bandsaw he would in fact be interested in selling.

My interest piqued, I drove to his shop this morning. He opened the storage shed doors...and low and behold stood a Yates Y30 Snowflake bandsaw. The saw is really in remarkable condition, I'm not sure the pics I attached (taken with my cell phone) do it justice. It looks like this wonderful piece of American iron was lovingly cared for. Every part is intact and it is ready to make sawdust immediately. The 30 inch wheels are powered by a direct drive 3HP, 3phase motor the size of a five gallon bucket. It's weight is not known exactly, but I've read varying (internet blog) estimates between 1500 and 2500 lbs.

Now for the good stuff....

The owner of the bandsaw, who will be getting a Christmas card from me, had a funny story to tell about it. He had no use for the bandsaw at all, he simply acquired it in trade for installing a septic system at a woodworking shop in the late 90's. Here we go...he told he would have to $1000 for it. Yes, I'll repeat - he only wanted $1000 for it. But it wasn't over at that. He also agreed to deliver it to my shop for that price. Needless to say, I paid the man INSTANTLY.

This tool will remain in my family for generations to come, and now I have a Grizzly G0514x to sell.....

If there is anyone on this forum that has any additional information about this bandsaw, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for listening,

Ryan
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would say that THAT machine is worth gloating about! Congratulations on your remarkable find! And what a deal to boot....Happy bandsawing!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Sweeeet!!!! Great band saw.

Here's a couple of pdf files on the saw.

1943 band saw
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/YatesA...w_feb_1943.pdf

1952 band saw
    http://www.owwm.com/files/PDF/YatesA...n/1952-Y30.pdf

Rob Will Guest
    Ryan,
    You suck.
    That is some serious iron.
    If he has not moved the saw yet, many people recommend removing the table and possibly the doors before moving a big bandsaw (?).
    I'm not 100% sure but I,m guessing that saw is worth about $4000.
    Congrats,
    Rob

Welcome to the antique bandsaw club! Your Griz just got seriously out classed. Nice saw, and fantastic condition it appears. I assume you already know about owwm.com.

One question?

Do you feel guilty?

Nice score

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

7. Why can't I find deals like this?

More pictures please. I'm interested in seeing the guides and motor.

What blade are you planning on running in this machine?

Edit:

Joe Chritz, you and I share the same name and same taste in quotes evidently

Yeah, that one's worth gloating about. Congrats on a fine acquisition. I don't think I've heard of someone buying one in that good of condition.

Ryan,
    Nice find and at a good price. You might consider keeping the little guy for scrolling if you have room. It is nice to have a large saw set up for resawing and joinery work, and a small one for scrolling work.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Excellent score!!
    Find out what his secret is. A decade in a midwest storage shed with dirt floor and what appears to be no rust??? He's been doing something right.
    Use the fence Luke

Great find, Ryan! Good luck on getting all the info you need on it. Now go post it on the OWWM website and let us know how many times you get told you suck.
    And now for something completely different....

Nice. Very nice. Excellent gloat,and thank you for sharing it with us.

Most of the old band saws look like that one only after investing considerable time in their restoration. For a grand, you made out like a bandit. It's nice to know that an old piece of iron like that will be put back to work.

Congrats on getting a top of the line machine. Even though it appears ready to run, I recommend replacing the bearings. The cost is relatively small and you avoid the risk of a bearing spinning and eating into a shaft or bore.

Pete

That table looks larger than my workshop. What kind of mobile base are you looking at?

Oh, my...."Goat" just doesn't do justice to this particular, um...gloat. Wow! What a wonderful machine. Enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...