Thread: Brand New Jet ProShop Table Saw won't turn on!...

Brand New Jet ProShop Table Saw won't turn on!...

It just finished putting together my brand new Jet ProShop TS with 50 inch cut and it won't turn on! Anyone have any ideas? I tried the reset button on the back of the motor, but still nothing. It is wired to 115, so that shouldn't be an issue. I do have it attached to an extension cord, but my old table saws always worked on the same extension cord. HELP!

I going to be so pi$$ed if I can't get this thing working. I'm on vacation this week and I have multiple projects planned.

I know it sounds silly but...

Check the obvious things first. Is the extension cord plugged in? Is the breaker tripped? Can you plug something else into the cord and verify it is hot etc

Does the Jet motor make any sound at all when you turn it on? Is there a safety mecahnism on the switch?

There more info you supply, the more likely you will get some help...

3. If it turns out you need a new motor, WMH Tool Group has some good customer service. They sent me a new motor plate for my bandsaw with 2nd day air shipping, both free of charge, to make me happy.

In my personal experience Jet's quality control needs some work. The fence assembly on my jointer needs to be replaced because the fence is warped, the 90 degree stop is bent, and several of the small parts are crudely cast. This fence will not hold 90 degrees no matter what I do...

WMH is sending me a new fence assembly also by 2nd day air shipping free of charge. Once I receive the shipment, the old assembly will go in the box to be sent back with prepaid shipping.

Anything cast iron is expensive to ship 2nd day air, so I would guess WMH would want to improve quality control.

Did you get it figured out?

Is there a connection between the motor and the switch that you need to make from inside the cabinet?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

You need to logically deduce the problem...

First try another electrical device in the extension cord to rule that out.

Then you need to determine if it is the switch or motor. I would open up the wiring cover on the motor and check the wires against the diagram. Then use a temporary cord to wire the motor directly to a plug so you can check the motor.

If the motor runs you need to check the wiring on the switch the same as you did the motor. If everything is working it could then be time to check the wires and plug.

Gene O. Carpenter Guest

New Jet Saw Won't Start

Erech,
    Just a thought! If the saw came already wired for 220V & you yourself changed it to 120V per the instructions in their manual, I would go back and re-read the wiring instructions again! Some, if not most, multi volt machines that have a "magnetic switch" will not turn on if wired to 120V! You must install install a regular mechanical switch in it's place..
    I have 2 early 90 vintage Grizzlies that I noted that in the owners manual..
    As I said it's just a thought!
    Gene

Hey guys,

Sorry, I had to go to bed last night and just got back from all the family Easter fun.

I had tried all the obvious previously, but I just tried them again. I plugged other items into the extension cord and they work fine. The breaker is not tripped. The switch goes directly to the motor and I don't see any connections I need to make. It makes absolutely no sound when I press the ON button.

It was pre-wired to 115, so I have not messed with the wiring to this point. Unfortunately, electrical and wiring are not my strong points. Wiring a few ceiling fans is the extent of my wiring experience.

I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow and call WMH Group. Unfortunately, it will be at least the end of the week before I get this thing up and running which is going to kill my vacation, but oh well. Life goes on. I'll let you all know if I figure it out.
    Last edited by Erech Myers; 03-23-2008 at 2:57 PM.

Erech, I wouldn't assume it is wired correctly for 110 from the factory! Unplug it and go through each wire according to the owners manual. From the power coming into the switch, to the motor, follow each wire and make sure it is going to the connector it is supposed to go to.
    The reason I say this, is when I was hooking up the Leeson motor I got for my cyclone, I thought something was a little odd in that it didn't seem to have the right number of wires. After thinking about it for a few days, I pulled it back apart and went wire by wire. I found a wire that was supposed to be on a hot line, under the mount for the electrical box of the motor, grounded to the frame! Came like that from Leeson. No telling what would have happened if I hadn't found it and tried to turn the cyclone on. But I bet it wouldn't have been pretty! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 03-23-2008 at 6:58 PM. Reason: space after comma, space after....
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Can the motor be plugged directly into the extension cord (bypassing the switch)? Can you test the continuity of the motor with a meter?

I think you need a friend with a volt meter!
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Blog Entries
    Look for a reset button on the motor. Usually on the opposite end of the pully. I have an older JET with one. Hope this helps.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Do not want to sound sarcastic but did you press the start button really hard. This happened to me with my drill press. Double checked everyhting plug it into three different outlets was not pressing the on button hard enopugh.

I saw one reply that said 120v motors don't have a mag switch, so this might not apply, but every once in a while, when my Unisaw doesn't seem to want to start, I push the stop button extra hard and then the start button-and it starts!

Something a little touchy about the stop button - like it doesn't have to be completely pushed in to stop the saw, but needs to be completely pushed in to start it.

Otherwise, as others have suggested, unplug the saw, then open the junction box on the motor to see if it has been properly wired. Just because the cord is attached to the motor doesn't mean that it is properly wired for 120v. There may be a simple wiring diagram on the lid of the junction box on the motor.
    Last edited by Roland Chung; 03-24-2008 at 2:15 PM. Reason: addit info

It Works!!!...

Mike McCann, you were partially correct. The first time I pressed the ON button (a few days ago) it was kind of hard to push and there was a click. Apparently it never came back out. It was stuck, but I couldn't tell it was stuck because there was still a little bit of play. I called WHM support today and they walked me through a few things. Pretty much all the same things this thread has talked about. Then, as I was pushing the ON button again, I kind of jammed it hard, and out it popped!

Thanks for all the support during my agony! I'm off to start my Vacation projects now!