Thread: Not a gloat...shipping damage!!

Not a gloat...shipping damage!!

I won't name the company yet, pending the outcome. But at my suggestion my boss ordered himself up a brand new cabinet saw and 2HP DC to be delivered. His original plans were fto buy a low end CS...but I showed him to a web page a popular vender to let him see a better CS. Well by the time he was done he saw had his eyes ona nice cabinet saw. The deal was clinched when a mutal friend and woodworker walked in while we were discussing which saw to get. This person said nothing less than a powermatic66 would work. well that was not in the budget but the point was made and he ordered up a nice saw. Fast foward to wednesday of last week when he got the call saying it would arrive thursday via frieght truck to our place of business. Did not see a saw on thursday, and Friday morning was assured it was out for delivery Friday. 430 on friday and no saw....call into the trucking company revealed the saw was still in Albany NY and did not leave there because too many people had problems with this company involving residential delivery. we assured then that this was a business with a loading dock and that info was given at the time of order...non the less we would wait till Monday for the saw. Today at 3 o'clock with no saw in sight we called and the shipping company said it was still in Albany and the shipping carton was destroyed and words like broken, bent and dented were offered up for our consideration. Needless to say the delivery was refused before it even left NY for vermont......I'll keep you posted.

Tim, it sounds to me like the trucking company has a problem to solve. It is amazing what a misplaced forklift can do to any kind of a shipment.

The next question is what will the original seller do from their end?
    Best Regards, Ken

We will wait for tomorrow to see what the seller does. This is in no way a knock against the seller. They are a very reputable company, but I have read many posts with people having shipping damge with this company. Maybe they need to address that...or maybe it is the nature of shipping large tools. I will post more info when it becomes available.

The Saw and Dust Collector arrived today in PERFECT condition after Grizzly ( I mean "the company") shipped it via overnight shipping. They came through like i knew they would.

Good to hear that good customer service still exists.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Did i mention they also deducted the original shipping price from the order? Yes it was great customer service and quick email responses. Didn't even need to call in the big guns. (Bill, you listening?)

Tim, although it sounds like it was the freight carrier who dropped the ball, it sure is great to hear that the vendor stepped up to the plate and resolved it for you guys! Hmmmm...Maybe there is hope yet!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

A word about the second trucking company. Penn Trucking...they would be the people to request when ordering IMO. I asked the driver why one company could destroy a table saw, while his company got the saw here without a scratch on the box. he said his company was more expensive, but they had 2 goals..get stuff there FAST and UNDAMAGED. He said most companies only cared about profit, so if they had 2 trucks 3/4 filled they would combine that into 1 truck anyway they can. Thats how stuff gets damaged. So anytime I order in the future i will make sure that I ask for this company if possible.

Glad all worked out for you....wouldn't want your peformance appraisal to drop over this! ;-)

Why haven't some of these trucking companies learned that it costs more to be reckless than it does to take the time to be careful?