Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This thread for Holtey plane owners only...

Regardless of being labeled, I own and use a Holtey 98.. However, this was bought back in 2001 I think when prices were "more" reasonable and the dollar far stronger. Like all my tools, it's a tool with a purpose and gets used as any other tool. I do, however, admire the craftsmanship that went into the design and execution.

How many of us who've made custom furniture (or custom anything) for a living can afford our own work?

Thank God for people who are keeping this kind of work alive; I think it's more important that fine workmanship remain at least somewhat viable than to worry about who can or who can't afford an expensive hand-made tool.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post
    How many of us who've made custom furniture (or custom anything) for a living can afford our own work?

Thank God for people who are keeping this kind of work alive; I think it's more important that fine workmanship remain at least somewhat viable than to worry about who can or who can't afford an expensive hand-made tool.
    You can take a 21 gun salute.

I came to this thread hoping to find others who share my admiration for these fine tools, and while many seem to share my drool factor found surprise and a little disappointment in one or two of the posts.

I'd love to own an A1! I would use it daily with a song in my heart - AND be proud of sharing my joy with others (sharing is different from gloating, IMHO). My impression is that anyone who flames or ridicules a person for owning or making a thing of such beauty and utility is simply envious (and a little mean-spirited - I'm an expert on these behaviors, if you doubt me I'll be happy to introduce you to my ex)).

Oh, and I do my own web surfing - heck that's a good deal of the fun of buying and selling cool things - and am a very rich man, just don't have a lot of cash (yet). :~>
    Last edited by Derby Matthews; 07-01-2010 at 9:02 AM.

5. OK…I lurk here quite a bit but don’t often post………
    but I’ll own up here as I own and use several Holtey planes every day in my full time work.
    Yes they are expensive and yes they don’t work an awful lot better then a very well set up cheaper plane…but they are to me worth every penny I spent on them, they are a joy to work with and oddly I find myself inspired to do better work when I work with beautiful tools.
    In the end it is a very personal thing where we decide to spend our hard earned cash and I certainly wouldn’t consider my self anywhere close to wealthy, but I am fairly successful in my specialized field of woodworking in that I have work booked for the next few years.
    I guess as someone else pointed out wealth is very subjective and the fact that I could even consider buying a Holtey might make be better off then some, but I certainly don’t have money to throw around, and every bit of equipment I buy and use in my work is very carefully considered.
    neil
    Last edited by neil ertz; 07-01-2010 at 9:51 AM. Reason: made a mistake posting and got it in the wrong place so i want to move it to the correct place

Is it OK to talk about our shop-make Krenov-inspired planes?

Al
    Al
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/fotc.gif
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking

Only if you post a pic....

Or two, or three

Quote Originally Posted by Al Navas View Post
    Is it OK to talk about our shop-make Krenov-inspired planes?

Al

outstanding

thank you frank

Blog Entries
    Do you realize how many Festools you could buy?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Drew View Post

I just want to chime in, my intention in no way, in the other thread was to attack Hotly owners or Karl Hotly himself. If I had the resources and had the abilities I would want a plane from every artisan maker that I liked.

Franks point is the absolute truth! Artisan craftsmanship is something to be relished, and appreciated. I would honestly probably pay $10 to push a Hotly plane!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    But, my consumption of $400/bottle Pappy Van Winkle bourbon makes not having the Porsche or the Rolex much more tolerable!
    Just purchased a bottle to be shared at My daughters wedding

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    But, my consumption of $400/bottle Pappy Van Winkle bourbon makes not having the Porsche or the Rolex much more tolerable!
    I do not own a Holtey plane, but I do own a bottle of scotch that is older than my wife... So, either I have a very young wife, or a very expensive bottle of scotch

Hoping I might be able to see a Holtey plane in Cincinnati at the wood working show this October.

13. I ordered another 6 no really!

That's awesome Nicholas... your level of addiction to planes far outweighs mine I must say your one lucky guy! I consider myself blessed to have what I do, but you sir... are truly blessed!!!

Pretty awkward post.

Oh well, forums are weird like that. I joined a forum about a year ago and I didn't even last two days. I posted something and the responses started pissing me off and I left. It happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gibbons View Post
    5 days and 269 views later, and no one replied that they have one. I'm probably wrong for sure to everyone else, but it's as I figured, they are too expensive for the average woodworker.