Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This thread for Holtey plane owners only...

1. I for one would very much like for a Hotley owner to post with some comparison between the Hotley and other nicer planes.

It'd be interesting to read the impression one has after paying $4 - 5 Gees for a plane.

How smooth, precise, and manageable can a plane be? What were your expectations of the thing pre-purchase and does it measure up? Were ya glad ya did it? Is it sitting in a presentation shelf somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    I for one would very much like for a Hotley owner to post with some comparison between the Hotley and other nicer planes. It'd be interesting to read the impression one has after paying $4 - 5 Gees for a plane. How smooth, precise, and manageable can a plane be? What were your expectations of the thing pre-purchase and does it measure up? Were ya glad ya did it? Is it sitting in a presentation shelf somewhere?
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...L%20PLANES.pdf
    Take a look, the author seems to appreciate handmade planes!
    Last edited by Corvin Alstot; 04-01-2008 at 7:45 PM.

If I was wealthy I'd definitely splurge on Holtey planes. Not because I need them, but because I
    want them. It's a matter of taste and interests. I would have no interest in paying a million for an
    abstract painting.

May I say (hopefully without offense) that this is a somewhat pointless discussion? I am wondering why anyone, "wealthy" or not should have to justify owning, or wanting to own, something so fine as one of Mr Holtey's planes. I am not "wealthy" and most likely never will be. But I own one plane made by a Japanese artisan maker that is worth considerably more than the price of a Holtey plane. I would give it up to save the life of my spouse or one of my children but not for much else. I even use it once in a while. And no, it does not really "work" any better than the planes I use daily (if it did, I would use it daily). But it is a joy to use simply because of it's feel and beauty. Life is too short not be enjoyed as much as possible. A fine tool, a fine automobile, a fine watch, a painting or a bottle of fine Scotch... where is the difference? If it brings you joy and enriches your life in some way, who is to say one way or the other if it's "worth it"? I think it is unwise to confuse this aspect of human nature with the rampant "conspicuous consumption" that has gripped us for so long now and that really has nothing to do with respecting or enjoying a fine object but rather with owning something simply because it is expensive and, therefore bestows "status" on the owner.

YM

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post
    May I say (hopefully without offense) that this is a somewhat pointless discussion? I am wondering why anyone, "wealthy" or not should have to justify owning, or wanting to own, something so fine as one of Mr Holtey's planes. I am not "wealthy" and most likely never will be. But I own one plane made by a Japanese artisan maker that is worth considerably more than the price of a Holtey plane. I would give it up to save the life of my spouse or one of my children but not for much else. I even use it once in a while. And no, it does not really "work" any better than the planes I use daily (if it did, I would use it daily). But it is a joy to use simply because of it's feel and beauty. Life is too short not be enjoyed as much as possible. A fine tool, a fine automobile, a fine watch, a painting or a bottle of fine Scotch... where is the difference? If it brings you joy and enriches your life in some way, who is to say one way or the other if it's "worth it"? I think it is unwise to confuse this aspect of human nature with the rampant "conspicuous consumption" that has gripped us for so long now and that really has nothing to do with respecting or enjoying a fine object but rather with owning something simply because it is expensive and, therefore bestows "status" on the owner.

YM
    WELL SAID!!!!

Just peeking in to see whats up in here.

My Sister taught school in a very rich town in NJ and she said no one their thought they where rich they always pointed to someone else that had more money...

I mean kids being driven to school by there fathers drivers... Girls cying because dad will not let them take the Rolls to the Prom, they had to go in a plain Limo

Many times I have seen something that appeals to me such as one of these high end planes and I have an urge to buy one. I know that if I had the chance to play with one for a few minutes my urge would pass and I would be satisfied. If I lived near some of the big woodworking shows I would consider buying a selection of these planes, taking a stack of suitable wood, and setting up at the shows. How many of you would pay 10 bucks to try a Holtey plane for 5 minutes. Think of it this way - I just saved you 5000 dollars.

Well let's see... Average show runs 3 days... eight hours per day. Figure your Holty is in actual use half the time. That's 12 hours per show. At ten bucks per five minutes, you're making $1,440 per. So you gotta hit at least four shows to get back the price of the plane. But then you have to factor in the fees for the booths and the cost of your display fixtures and workbench plus a sharpening station (your gonna be doing a lot of sharpening). Then you have to add the cost of getting all that stuff to the shows plus the cost of getting yourself to the shows, meals, lodging, etc. And on top of all that, you gotta make some profit. And don't forget the medical expenses you will incur when all those spouses start whacking you in the head because their "significant others" actually decided they wanted a Holty after trying yours. I dunno... Maybe you should just use the plane yourself.... Or at least make a deal with Holty to get a commission....

Yoshicanny DeSatoforo

Blog Entries

I think you need to do a little more work

I am not as optimistic as Yoshikuni. I would love to push one on a lot of different pieces of wood. But $10 is a lot of money for a very small pleasure.

Besides, spending $10 to push on a $5,000 plane would only save $4,990.

jim

11. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post
    May I say (hopefully without offense) that this is a somewhat pointless discussion? I am wondering why anyone, "wealthy" or not should have to justify owning, or wanting to own, something so fine as one of Mr Holtey's planes.
    I don't believe there was any request for justifications. I took it to be an open inquiry with no qualifiers. Prolly the questions would come as the owners cropped up?

12. Quote Originally Posted by Corvin Alstot View Post
    http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...L%20PLANES.pdf
    Take a look, the author seems to appreciate handmade planes!
    Thanks for the link. That was interesting. I gotta say not entirely unexpected. So I took from it that these tools are great tools but, whether they are worth sums of up to $5-Gees is I think a question best left to the purchaser.

"I don't believe there was any request for justifications."

True enough..... good point...

"...the questions would come as the owners cropped up..."

Also probably true though it seems that we may never know since none have "cropped up"....

YDMD

14. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshikuni Masato View Post
    "I don't believe there was any request for justifications."

True enough..... good point...

"...the questions would come as the owners cropped up..."

Also probably true though it seems that we may never know since none have "cropped up"....

YDMD
    Or they are out in the shop working because they actually have plenty of money to buy wood whenever they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    I would be very surprised if an actual owner posted here, given the attacks they are likely to receive. But what does it matter if no one has them anyway? Clearly Mr. Holtey is selling enough to stay in business, so what are we looking for here? Is there some presumption that wealthy people don't participate in online forums?
    If they do own one, I would like to see the rest of their shop. It's most likely impressive.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges