Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router Table almost complete (gloat)

Nice vanity, Jeff. Where does the sink go?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson
    Nice job Jeff !!

Now, to all of you say it's too nice, think of your shop cabinets as being a perfect opportunity to practice before making something for keeps. Jeff's cabinet is perfect example of a piece that can be use to learn how to make a desk, credenza, vanity cabinet, etc. Also, for you commercial guys, your shop cabinets are a useful selling tool for skills.

Steven,
    I could not have put it in better words. I wanted to practice using face frame construction for a upcoming project for the LOML and thought what better to build than a router table. I will be using the same design idea for a future desk for both of my girls. I learned lots building this thing.
    Jeff H

Very nice job, looks like something i'd find in an upscale furniture store!

Best wishes for your daughter. I hope all goes well and she's feeling better soon...

Brian

Jeff,

I didn't notice where your switch(es) are for turning the router off and on. I'd recommend you use at least 2 3-way switches (one on the right side, probably most common one to reach for; and one in the center). On mine, I have 3 switches (1 4-way in-between 2 3-ways).
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Beautiful cabinet! Right now I am at the stage of trying to figure out what type of cabinet to build. I'm torn between making a nice one out of birch plywood versus one out of MDF.

After seeing yours and hearing your reasons for building such a nice one I think I will head down the path of building the nicer unit.

This looks like an upgraded version of the New Yankee table (way nicer though). Are these your own plans?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Jeff,

Wow! That’s some router table! Is the bottom rail on the side panels curved? I agree with you, building nice shop equipment is a great way to learn new skills and it's fun too!

I pray that all goes well with Morgan’s surgery.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Skory
    Beautiful cabinet! Right now I am at the stage of trying to figure out what type of cabinet to build. I'm torn between making a nice one out of birch plywood versus one out of MDF.

After seeing yours and hearing your reasons for building such a nice one I think I will head down the path of building the nicer unit.

This looks like an upgraded version of the New Yankee table (way nicer though). Are these your own plans?

Hi Jeff,
    The plans are my very own. I'm gravity challenged so my table is 34" high
    I looked up the length of the longest bit that I might use and made the bit storage drawer to fit. The opening to the router chamber is 15" wide
    plenty of room to get to if needed. To be honest I got the measurements for the router and the bits and started up intellicad and built the cabinet in cad first. It makes things so much easier.

Jeff H

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Jeff,

Wow! That’s some router table! Is the bottom rail on the side panels curved? I agree with you, building nice shop equipment is a great way to learn new skills and it's fun too!

I pray that all goes well with Morgan’s surgery.

Hi Bruce,
    Yes sir the rails are curved. This is my take on a semi mission style router table.
    Thanks again for the prayer support
    Jeff H.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brandt
    Jeff, Do you do your routing in the living room?!? Awesome. Did you use plans or is it your own design? I really like all of the storage space provided. Is the router compartment "sealed" for dust collection? This is gonna be my next project! db

P.S. Our prayers are with your family.

Hi Dave,
    I will have to say that the router compartment is not sealed. I have learned that my Terry Hatfield Dust Eliminator has to have lots of air to be happy or I have 1 very loud whistle. As for the design it is my very own. I hope that 1 day I might have enough router bits to fill at least 1 drawer.

Thank you for your prayers
    Jeff H

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Jeff,

I didn't notice where your switch(es) are for turning the router off and on. I'd recommend you use at least 2 3-way switches (one on the right side, probably most common one to reach for; and one in the center). On mine, I have 3 switches (1 4-way in-between 2 3-ways).

Hi Chris
    I'm working on an idea of mounting the switch above the table center just behind the fence. I also like the foot pressure switch that Terry Hatfield uses.
    Jeff H

j,

Well now. That looks mighty nice. You did good.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    j,

Well now. That looks mighty nice. You did good.

t

T,
    Thanks. It means alot
    J.

j,

Your welcome!!! It's good to see that I'm not the only one getting some good natured greif about the shop "furniture".

You should be very proud of the table. It looks fantastic and I'm sure you will enjoy using it for many years to come. Sure beats your old setup.

t
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]