Thread: Finally Added a Stop Paddle to My Table Saw

Finally Added a Stop Paddle to My Table Saw

Ive been wanting to add a stop paddle to my table saw for months now and the other night, I was looking at another ww forum and there was a thread asking for design ideas for a stop paddle. I copied one of the designs, and here is my paddle. I have a Unifence, there is a 1/4" t-slot on the bottom side of the rail. Thats where I attached the paddle. Its made from 1/2" plywood and a 3" hinge. It works great and I should have done this when I fist got the saw. It looks like its sitting on the floor, but is actually about 3/4" above. I had to add the piece at the bottom because I didnt have a large enough chunk of plywood. It sure makes things safer because I dont have to take my hands off of the wood and search for the switch. I was surprised how little pressure from your foot will activate the stop switch.
    Maybe this post will stimulate some of you to make this simple and cheap mod to you table saw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Wow you could paddle the Queen Mary with that thing

Nice addition to an already great tool.
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

Ditto Jim..QE2 now docking...seriously I installed a slightly shorter but equally wide paddle on my saw after some crotch walnut got squirrley on me in the middle of a cut. What was probably 1 second felt like 10 minutes as I watched the stock dance with the top of the back of the blade and images of a toothless me danced through my head. My third hand couldn't reach the shut off, but now my left knee can easily do it!

Given the speed with which table saw accidents happen its not the ultimate saftey feature but at least now if I wake up on the floor I won't have to shut off the saw before collecting my teeth and fingers!

Great idea, thanks!! I will be making one for my TS3650, I will just have to modify this a bit.

Lance - very nice, looks great. You will love using it.

I added paddle switches to both my table saw and router table.
    The time I put into making these was time well spent in my opinion.

Howie

Blog Entries
    Well done Lance. Good safety item that all saws (and RT's) should have in some form.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    My third hand couldn't reach the shut off, but now my left knee can easily do it!

Given the speed with which table saw accidents happen its not the ultimate saftey feature
    Peter, I agree its not the ultimate safety feature, but a good, cheap one. It allows me to keep my concentration on the cut. I dont have an outfeed table(though one is in the works) so I used to have to hang on to the piece Im cutting, raise it over the table, lay it down, and then fiddle around under the table, searching for the stop switch. Now, I can pass the wood through the blade and just hold the wood until the blade stops. Once my outfeed table is done, it gets even easier. Plus I like the big stop sign.
    My favorite cologne is BLO