Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Faceplate or Drive Center for Large Blanks?

Faceplate or Drive Center for Large Blanks?

I've been turning for three years now and have yet to use the faceplate that came with my lathe. I recently aquired a larger turning blank than I typically work with (20" diameter) and wondered if I should mount it with the faceplate to rough out the outside of the bowl or if I can safely use my traditional method of mounting between centers using a 2" two prong drive center?

Blog Entries
    On a blank that large I would use a faceplate, a woodworm screw that came with a chuck, or a spur drive center that mounts in a chuck.
    Keep in mind that alot of lathes come with very large faceplates that are really too big for the size lathe they are coming with, What size is your faceplate?
    My Jet 1442 came with a 6" plate and my Powermatic 3520B came with a 3" wheres the logic?

Drive centers are really for spindle work, and a large heavy blank can end up spinning in a morse taper and gaul it up.

You can also use a faceplate "ring" they screw onto the blank then mount onto your chuck, I know Nova chucks have them I have 2, not sure if Oneway chucks have them too.

Only takes a couple minutes to screw on a faceplate.
    Use good screws NOT drywall screws.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Jeff;

Faceplates are nice and have a specific purpose. I do quite a number of large pieces between centers and have never had a problem, however, there are a couple of hard fast rules I stick to

1) I make sure the spur is biting into solid wood. And usually I cut a sawblade grove with my circular saw in both directions about 1/2" deep because I have a large spur and that sets itself very well. I remove all the bark and soft wood so I have a solid base.

2) If it is an irregular piece, I either clean it up with the bandsaw or use the sawsall to get it somewhat balanced.

3) Speed. . . . Very big concern on large blanks. If you don't have a VFD type lathe that will allow you to start slowly and then control the speed as you progress it makes things somewhat challanging.

4) Cuts are always small, with minimual exposure past the tool rest. This means you move the tool rest quite often until you have a round blank.

5) DON'T do any thing you are not comfortable with, and make sure you have all of your safety equipment on.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes

Kim
    Trying to eliminate sandpaper - one curly shaving at a time.

Scott & Kim, thanks for your replies. Kim, you mentioned that faceplates have a specific purpose, but I'm still not seeing what it is. It sounds like if I follow your rules, I won't ever need a faceplate. Maybe my revised question should be: When would I ever use a faceplate?

Jeff, I think you've received excellent recommendations.

While I can't specifically answer your question about when one should or should not use a faceplate, I can say that for me - I always use a faceplate for anything other than spindle turning between centers. For me it's simply easier, more stable. I can take the tail stock completely out of the way, do the bottom of the bowl, (while it's mounted on a face plate) and then reverse chuck it with the foot in the chuck to hollow it out. Just seems easier to me as opposed to working around a tail stock to try to do a big turning, and also a little more safe to me if you're anchored tightly onto a face plate with a big hunk of wood.

Best to you. Jude

faceplate

I"m with Judy. Why take a chance with a half inch notch when you can have 6 or more long screws holding that big chunk of wood. Remember, if it comes loose, it is headed towards you by the way it is spinning. why chance it? Max.

One more for turning bowls with a face plate. The main reason that I do it is because I turn bowls with a recess as opposed to a tenon. It is much easier to rough out the shape of the bowl and then move the tail stock completely out of the way to fine tune the design after the blank is balanced and turn the recess. Also, having spun a few pieces with a spur drive, I can honestly say I have never spun a face plate loose!

All good advice. On bowl turning I always use a faceplate. To me it is more secure. I use stainless steel screws 6 or more. Like Robert and Judy I take the tailstock away when forming a tenon and especially if I do a recess.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Depends on whether you have a flat surface to screw the face plate to. It's a heck of a lot easier to adjust a big chunk of wood if it's off center or out of balance if you have it between centers, nearly impossible using a face plate. Many lathes come with a fairly small drive center but if you get a big 1" or 1.5" two pronged drive, it will turn most anything. Also, when using a drive spur, if you get a bad catch it will just strip the wood that the drive is seated in. You can stop the lathe and reset the spur. But if you get a bad catch using a face plate and it pulls some off the screws loose, then you have a rodeo until you can stop the lathe. I guess I don't need to say that I prefer roughing between centers.

No doubt, using the faceplate is one of the most secure method of holding a bowl blank. I believe that's why demonstrators prefer to start either with a faceplate or a woodworm screw chuck.

Faceplate also allows us to turn a blank that is too big for inboard turning, no tail stock at all.

The down side is once the faceplate was attached and started roughing, you are almost committed to the turning axis. It would be a big hassle to shift the blank even the wood grain and pattern revealed begs you to modify your original design.

Take your pick, it all depends on what you think is more important. Each has its pros and cons.
    Gordon

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    I guess I don't need to say that I prefer roughing between centers.
    I'm with Curt. If you take the time to set things up correctly, roughing between centers is as safe as it gets.

This is why I love this forum. The faceplaters had me convinced to go that way, and then others jumped in and swung me back the other direction. I truly appreciate all the helpful advice!

I'm a "between centers" guy. Once you mount a face plate you are committed. Using a screw on drive center is great for larger blanks.
    Here is what I use: http://stubbylatheusa.com/Convertibl...Center.100.pdf
    Quite a few Stubby owners use these and it gives you a lot of options. Once you start turning, if you see there is a void or inclusion or something that you want to incorporate into you design then all you do is reset between centers.
    I've had some heavy out of round, almost square, large blanks on my lathe between centers and have yet to have any problems. There are dangers with anything as when I use to use a face plate I had a few pieces crack on me where the face plate was attached.
    YMMV

I'm big on 5) when it comes to safety equipment. One sugguestion I would make is not to bother with a face shield wait, wait, let me finish
    I have a friend that does large pieces and when one came off and hit him in the face shield he still had a megadollar dentist bill. Now he wears a catchers mask with safety glasses
    something to think about. the face mask/shields are simply protection against chips and other small stuff.

oh, on the mounting question, it depends on if i'm going to make a natural edge bowl or a regular bowl (one where the top faces the center/pith of the log). If it's going to be a natural edge I drill a 1" hole through the bark and maybe a 1/4" more so the spur drive hits solid wood. If a normal bowl I use a screw chuck and tailstock until the piece is round and stable (more or less ).
    Last edited by Pat Salter; 03-25-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: added more.

I seldom use a face plate (only on natural edge bowls). For regular bowls, I drill a recess using a forstner bit that matches the size of my chuck jaws, and expand the chuck into that. This works for bowls up to 18 inches, and I don't find the tailstock necessary. On a 20 inch bowl, I would consider the tailstock, unless I could find a 4 inch forstner bit, and my drill press could spin it. I did work my way up to this. Unless I use extended jaws, I can't drill deep enough on a natural edge bowl to get into solid wood without the face of the chuck hitting bark, so I use a face plate after I have leveled off a spot with a forstner bit. This way, the chuck never has to come off the lathe for any of the turning and coring that I do.
    robo hippy