Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mm 16

Mm 16

Okay, I know this has been discussed over and over, but I am on the cusp of ordering an MM 16. I have seen gripes about this and that, but I will call on any MM 16 owners to please tell me now if there is any reason (other than money) that I should look elsewhere. This is kinda like what you hear at a wedding, only, of course, way more important!!! I will also welcome answers that will further validate my "well thought out and highly intelligent" decision, or otherwise..

I have owned a MM16 since 2003, the machine I own is a first generation MM16 with only a 13" resaw and 3.6hp motor.

I have some minor gripes, like the miter gauge is really junky, the mobile base is not very well though out. If I had to buy a new bandsaw again today, it would be a MM.

i have the same generation mm as robert - a great machine. i use it almost xclusively to cut veneers. the best upgrade for me was ceramic guides - once set the cuts just peel off precisely.

jerry
    jerry

Happy camper here with mine!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got the newer version MM-16 with 16" resaw and the 4.8 hp. I've used it a very limited amount and I'm a bandsaw rookie. Yeah I'd buy it again.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Um, 4.8 hp and 16" resaw isn't enough for you?

Happy with mine as well.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

The miter gauge stinks, the manual sucks, the mobility kit only seems to satisfy folks with really level floors, the older switches had lots of problems but that seems to have improved with the new switches, and the newer table/insert arrangement has improved. The saw is fantastic. Get a Lenox Tri-Master on it, and you'll grin every time you use it.
    Use the fence Luke

I've got the new generation 16" resaw and 4.8hp MM. Just wanted to chime in too...I'd definitely buy it again. Cuts like buttah.......
    Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    This is kinda like what you hear at a wedding, only, of course, way more important!!! I will also welcome answers that will further validate my "well thought out and highly intelligent" decision, or otherwise..
    As a pastor, I can only give this one piece of advice. DO NOT bring your MM 16 to a wedding. Your bride will catch on about your priorities WAY too soon.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    As a pastor, I can only give this one piece of advice. DO NOT bring your MM 16 to a wedding. Your bride will catch on about your priorities WAY too soon.

Brian
    Well, I have been married for 35 years now, so I think she has them figured out better than I do.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up solid choice, as good as any, better than most

Hi Dick,
    I applaud your well thought out and highly intelligent purchase decision!
    There is nothing in small dreams to stir the heart.

I have a 4.8hp MM16, in Europe I guess they don't round up.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48236
    To be completely candid, I have found that they get the broadstrokes
    right, while perhaps overlooking some of the finer, more finesse strokes.
    The machine is solid, strong, rigid as heck, beautifully welded and cuts
    like crazy. That said, the details were a bit disappointing on mine, but
    I share responsibility, in not having moved too far to resolve them.

I have hesitated to post my saw's quirks a few times.
    Nothing major, just lots of little goofs and sloppiness.
    I have found that I am not alone in this, many have chimed similar concerns and disappointments.
    However, I feel I own the best 16" bandsaw I could buy, and would certainly buy it again.

As for concerns mentioned by others in this post, I have found:
    -a miter guage is not too useful on a bandsaw anyway, what about blade drift?
    -I meant from the start to put it on a mobile base, but find the included mobility kit adequate on my plywd loft floor
    -my switch is of the fresher option, and ok so far, knock on wood
    -I have had good results with a 1/2" woodslicer band for resawing
    -do not expect flawless paint, easy set bottom guide thumbscrew, a door that opens enough to swap a wide band
    without removing a wheel, or an armadillo guard that doesn't need filing for clearance,etc, etc

They market their saw as superior, and with superior service...
    mostly true, but the details left me underwhelmed. I remain a proud owner.
    Good luck with your big decision,
    Walt
    There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going! WCC

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Crohn's takes guts. WCC

Dick,

I have the 3.6 HP, 13 inch resaw version also. I think it is an excellent, very well built machine. Have had no problems.

I did replace the mobility kit with Zambus casters, primarily due to tight shop space. The manual that came with the MM16 was not very good, but if that is still the case, there is a nice manual available for download at the MM users group site. I do plan to spring for the Lenox Tri-Master carbide blade one of these days.

Do you know if MiniMax will be at the Woodworking Show in Houston next month? If so, you might work a deal on a show special or at least save shipping.

Good luck,

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Caza View Post
    -a miter guage is not too useful on a bandsaw anyway, what about blade drift?
    What blade drift? Seriously, that's something I just dont even worry about any more (at least with the Lenox on there, which is 95% of the time).
    Use the fence Luke

Dick,

I too am the owner of a MM16. I have been really pleased with the saw and it's capabilities. I also did quite a bit of research before I made the decision.

Like many of the others, I thought the manual that came with the saw was a waste of paper. The one from the MM users group is much better.

Complaints about the miter gauge have never concerned me since I have not yet seen a reason to try and make a cut with the miter gauge.

The mobility kit really didn't work well for my shop. If you have a place that you can put the saw and not move it much, then the mobility kit may work ok for you. I ended up taking the mobility kit off and using leveling casters for Great lakes Caster (http://www.greatlakescaster.com/). About the same as the Zambus casters, only less expensive.

Mike
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I can only say that I'm happy with my purchase decision.

No regrets.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney