Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWing auctions..what are these people thinking?????

WWing auctions..what are these people thinking?????

I went to a cabinet shop auction yesterday. I watched a Griz 3 hp shaper that had to be 15 years old go for over $700 and they sold the miter gauge and every cutter seperately!!!! Ancient Griz 1023 went for nearly as much. $1100 panel saw brought $1400!!!!!! PC production pocket hole machine, very well used, brought $635!!! Every time I go to these auctions I am amazed at what people will pay.

I did pick up a couple of good buy's. I got a PC laminate trimmer model 410 in perfect shape for $45 and I also got 14 pairs of KV 100 lb. full extension slides for $24. Most everything else brough new price or MORE!!!

Terry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think that is why I don't go to auctions along with the fact the ones around here are to far away. Why would anyone pay almost as much or more than new for a well used old item that is still commonly available new today with a warranty?

I guess its. Ignorance = untaught innocence. Stupidity you gotta work at. The difference is the wide margin in wisdom.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Bart,

Agree.

That panel saw was really the killer. It was kinda stuck about $600 and I was thinking that was not too bad on a price then all of a sudden these 2 guy's got wrapped up in the bidding war and before you know it they are bidding more than the thing was new. Go figure.

t

edit: It was this exact saw...only old and used!!!!

http://www.toolfetch.com/tools/6480-20.html
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 03-21-2004 at 12:14 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sounds like I need to take all my machines to the nearest auction, sell them, and then upgrade.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Terry,

I have almost the exact panel saw, paid about $1,050 for it 4 years ago. Oh and I would love to sell it for $1,100 today

After deciding to scrap plans to put a new motor and hood on the panelsaw frame I picked up for $50, I sold it on ebay for $375!!

I don't know where these guys come from, but I sure am glad they're there!!

"Thinking"??? Far too often, when it comes to auctions, "thinking" is NOT part of the process, I swear! I guess maybe folks figure, "Hey, this is an auction. I'm guaranteed to get a good deal." Same thing at eBay. I used to build a lot of computers and 99 out of a 100 times, I could get parts as good, probably better, brand new, for less than the going prices on eBay. I've been finding the same thing with WW tools there. Sure, some deals can be had, but for the most part, go to a regular mail order or even local dealer and get the same item brandy-new for the same or less.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

In the picture is the DeWalt panel saw that I paid $100 for it didn't have a motor & I had to make a new bed for it & install a Black & Decker 7 1/4" circular saw it is about 10' long. It sure is a back saver. I was thinking of selling it & the LOML said don't you dare sell it you couldn't ever replace it for what you have in it. Sheesh boy was she right
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

9. Unhappy

John, Terry and Bart,

I have to agree with you all. It’s the fever; all common sense goes out the window. Sometimes I think that people pay more for convenience because they don’t have to go to town for the purchase. In the end, it’s the highest bidder that pays the bill.

Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    "Thinking"??? Far too often, when it comes to auctions, "thinking" is NOT part of the process, I swear! I guess maybe folks figure, "Hey, this is an auction. I'm guaranteed to get a good deal." Same thing at eBay. I used to build a lot of computers and 99 out of a 100 times, I could get parts as good, probably better, brand new, for less than the going prices on eBay. I've been finding the same thing with WW tools there. Sure, some deals can be had, but for the most part, go to a regular mail order or even local dealer and get the same item brandy-new for the same or less.
    [/QUOTE]
    Bart,

Agree.

That panel saw was really the killer. It was kinda stuck about $600 and I was thinking that was not too bad on a price then all of a sudden these 2 guy's got wrapped up in the bidding war and before you know it they are bidding more than the thing was new. Go figure.

t

edit: It was this exact saw...only old and used!!!!
    [/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    I think that is why I don't go to auctions along with the fact the ones around here are to far away. Why would anyone pay almost as much or more than new for a well used old item that is still commonly available new today with a warranty?

I guess its. Ignorance = untaught innocence. Stupidity you gotta work at. The difference is the wide margin in wisdom.

Bart
    [/QUOTE]

http://www.toolfetch.com/tools/6480-20.html
    Every man’s work is always a portrait of himself.

There's a sucker born every minute and a fool and his money are soon parted --P.T. Barnum

I think people get caught up in the adrenaline rush in auctions and sensibility gets clouded.

eBay is great for products as long as you've done your research and know what things sell for new. Shipping is also the bane of shopping on eBay. I won't purchase wood from anywhere east of the Rockies but I found a great supplier of figured maple in Eugene, OR and thus the shipping is very reasonable.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it at that moment. I love auctions. I've been going since I was a small boy with my father. (another huge benefit of farm life) I go with a list of what I want that they listed with the best price I can find it new for and limit myself to 40-60% of new price based on condition. Ebay is the same way. I see stuff all the time listed for more than it sells for at HD and Lowes. On the other hand I saved over $400 on the Graco sprayer I bought.

Do your home work and happy hunting!
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Terry I have that exact panel saw for sale if interested e-mail me.

I have to constantly remind myself not to get aggravated by the prices at e-bay. Its my only convenient source of old tools because they are not common down in Texas. My most recent frustration was with the prices people were paying for Stanley 5 1/4 planes. They consistently sell for $50 or more which was more than I was willing to pay. After several months I was tempted just bid higher, but persistance paid off and I won a decent user for 21.50. You just have to be patient and you can get some bargains.
    Dennis

Router Table Auction on Ebay

I agree. I remember seeing an auction for a router table made in canada. The seller had a link in the auction to his/her website where you could get more details about the table. The website also had the price of the table RIGHT there. Still people were bidding more than the price direct from the seller. And shipping was not included. My motto: Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Doug

I watched two people bidding over about 8' of used clothesline rope once. They got it up to about $9.00. I about died laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield
    I went to a cabinet shop auction yesterday. I watched a Griz 3 hp shaper that had to be 15 years old go for over $700 and they sold the miter gauge and every cutter seperately!!!! Ancient Griz 1023 went for nearly as much. $1100 panel saw brought $1400!!!!!! PC production pocket hole machine, very well used, brought $635!!! Every time I go to these auctions I am amazed at what people will pay.

I did pick up a couple of good buy's. I got a PC laminate trimmer model 410 in perfect shape for $45 and I also got 14 pairs of KV 100 lb. full extension slides for $24. Most everything else brough new price or MORE!!!

Terry