Thread: 89 1/2" bandsaw blades

Unhappy 89 1/2" bandsaw blades

I have the Craftsman 12" bandsaw. Purchased it last year or so. I need to get a good blade for it. Is Suffolk Machinery the only place I can get good blades. I would like to do some resawing. I know this isn't the best machine for the job, but it is what I have and it won't be an everyday job. I looked at Highland and the only thing listed is 82 then it goes to 93 1/2. Can't afford the Lenox blades. It would be nice though.

Thanks
    Jared

I have the same saw and purchased the following from Highland:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1293

this has been a decent blade so far

thanks, that is what I was looking for.

Blog Entries
    I have the same saw and use the Suffolk Machinery blades. If memory serves me correctly, they are only around $15/blade. I cannot remember the exact specifications, but I use of the blades for re-sawing and it works fine. As long as I go slow and steady, resawing has not been an issue with the Suffolk blades.

I have the same saw and purchased the following from Highland:
    http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1293

this has been a decent blade so far
    Thanks for posting the link. Next time I need blades, I may order 1 just to try out for comparisons sake.

I don't want to hijack this thread but since you both have this saw:
    What fence do you use?
    The one that comes with it is difficult to get adjusted.

I haven't used the fence that much. I haven't had a chance to set it up for drift. I think it will work well, it seems to adjust easy and hold the adjustments.

Blog Entries
    I don't want to hijack this thread but since you both have this saw:
    What fence do you use?
    The one that comes with it is difficult to get adjusted.
    I use the Kreg Bandsaw fence that was designed for 14" bandsaws. I had to tap the cast iron top to accomidate the fence install, but now that it's installed, its been a great addition.

I wouldn't worry about ordering from Suffolk Machinery. They make excellent bandsaw blades.

For resawing, you should get a 1/2" 3 PC blade (3 tpi, with a hook profile).

I've used 2 vendors

Weird blade lengths are not that much of an issue, you just have to plan ahead a little. Suffolk has already been mentioned. I just tried 2 blades from supercutbandsaw.com and the half inch premium gold ( I think) seems to work nicely. I also got a 1/4" blade that's still in the package. The supercut blades are more money than the Timberwolf blades but being carbide impregnated may last longer, especially with abrasive stock. I haven't had the supercut blade long enough to know about longevity. There are other vendors well regarded but I don't have any personal experience with them.

HTH

Curt