Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for Black Marble

Question Searching for Black Marble

Would appreciate any leads to locating for ideal laser 12x12 black marble tiles. Any suggestions & phone numbers. Also best Absolute Black found ? Northern CA? I've already found out cheapest is not the best
    Thanks , a new laser adventurer

You might try Artistic Laser (www.artistic-laser.com) in Redlands, CA. Office: (909) 307-9533. I don't know if they're still in business but I was very pleased with the quality of the stone they had.
    A Stone Canvas
    60w VY-TEK FX/2, Adobe Illustrator/ Photoshop Elements, Corel X4, Photograv 3.0, Sandcarving, Stage Blasting, Stained Glass, Scrimshanding, all mobile studio.

Marble tile

Found some at Lowes, we engraved a checker board in it and it came out very well. Black absolute $5.99

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Matthews View Post
    Found some at Lowes, we engraved a checker board in it and it came out very well. Black absolute $5.99
    Are you sure that wasn't Granite? I've seen brown marble at the big boxes, but no abs. black 'marble'
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I get it for 9/sq ft. But that is in Canada...

Donna,

Home Depot has them at times. 12x12 Absolute black marble. You will need to pick through the pile to get the best ones. I think they were $7 each.

Todd
    Todd Schwartz - Des Moines, Iowa
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+
    CorelDraw X6 / Photograv 3 / FlashCut 4 / Aspire 9

I think Bill is right. Home Depot only carries black granite and not black marble. A big difference.
    Jack

Now you are going to make me go and check - Hummm.... I was sure it was marble, remember digging through the pile to find ones without much grain (does granite have white grains like marble?), but heck, I have been wrong before and chances are really good I will be wrong again. Stay tuned for an update.

Todd
    Universal VLS 4.60 (60W) / ShopBot Buddy / Sherline CNC Mill / MakerBot Replicator+

Hmmm If it's got veins running through it, it's probably marble.. When I buy the brown stuff, I sort through as many boxes as I can before the 'can I help you' guy shows up I also usually bring a printout on vellum with me to set over the marble.. Nothing worse than having a streak of marble grain cross the face in the etching in the form of a 'hitler' moustach But, I have never seen Black Marble at either H.D. Lowes, or Rona.. If you can when you look get the SKU#
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Absolute black marble and granite is available in Canada at richwoodline.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    When I buy the brown stuff, I sort through as many boxes as I can before the 'can I help you' guy shows up
    I normally just tell them "No, I think I got it" and they say ok and walk away. In these big stores the employees don't really mind, its just there job to see if you need any help or not.
    Bill Parker
    Pinnacle M-25
    CorelDraw X4
    EngraveLab 6.1

Finally got off the road and back to the shop. It is indeed Absolute Black Marble from Home Depot, tag on the back had the following part number: BLACWH1212. I also got some Absolute Black granite at the same time, different SKU and different look.

I have only seen it there twice in the last couple of years. Have not looked lately.

Good luck.

Todd

I found my best source to be a small floor tile store. I went to several larger tile stores and they only want to sell what they stock. The smaller stores will do some looking around in order to get your business.

The tile I get is called Brilliant Black and is excellent for lasered photos. Price is $5.65 sq.ft. and also comes in 16x16.

Location is Tempe, Arizona

All,

Just a word of caution about buying black marble from stores like HD or Lowes. Many times black marble, particularly if imported from China, is dyed to give it that very black color. Use caution when cleaning as certain cleaners may cause fading. I am part owner in a granite and marble fab facility. When cutting black marble slabs with our bridge saw I have seen dye in the water run off from the saw.

Natural, pure black marble is difficult to obtain. If you have a stone supplier near you ask about "China Black No Vein". Often China Black is graded as #1, #2, or #3. The lower the number, the less veining. This material isn't cheap.

"Absolute Black" granite is actually not granite, but basalt. To tell the difference between marble and granite look at the edge of the tile, or the back. Granite has a crystalline structure whereas most marble does not (one exception being "White Thassos"). Another word of caution, advise your customer not to clean marble with anything containing vinegar, or any citric acid. Vinegar, fruit juices, and tomato juice will etch the surface of the stone, as will aggressive products such as Tilex.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Belinda,

Excellent information!!!!

Thanks,

AL