Thread: Foredom Tool

Foredom Tool

Hi Everybody,

I think I am in the market for a Foredom tool. I was talking with J.R. Beall today about his new Lathe Wizard, and he said that a Foredom works really nice with it. I started looking on Ebay, and was immeditely lost. Can anybody give me a brief primer on Foredom tools, and what to look for? Thanks!

Scott.

Hi Scott,

Do you have a woodcraft near you? They sell them. I would at least go there and check out the price new before I started in on eBay. I want a fordom but I'm waiting to sell some stuff before I buy much more.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    Hi Everybody,

I think I am in the market for a Foredom tool. I was talking with J.R. Beall today about his new Lathe Wizard, and he said that a Foredom works really nice with it. I started looking on Ebay, and was immeditely lost. Can anybody give me a brief primer on Foredom tools, and what to look for? Thanks!

Scott.
    I have a Foredom (plus two Dremels and a Wizard) and feel that the Foredome is an excellent tool. It is arguably the best rotary tool on the market today. I haven't tried their TX/TXH models but they are pretty pricey. I use mine for heavy duty wood carving and have the 1/8 hp, reversible SR model. If you are going to be using it ONLY for buffing, I would check into something less expensive like the Wecheer. Maybe even the cheap model that HF sells/used to sell. Now that I think of it, I don't even know what the "Lathe Wizard" is, I assumed you are talking of buffing when you mentioned Beall.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Hi Wolf,

Beall's Lathe Wizard is indexed carving tool that attaches to a lathe and is used to cut spirals, flutes and other designs into turnings. So a carving/cutting tool is the way to go. It is designed to be used with a router, but he says the Foredom allows you to see much better. Thanks for the input!

Scott.

Scott, if the Fordham can work with your Beall mill, it really would be a good investment considering it will give you capabilities off that jig that you can't use a router for. The "better" models of the Fordham also have an available flex attachment that gives you reciprocal power carving capablity...all this from one tool. That's the approach I would take on this: the versatilty makes for good use of the funds necessary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Greaves
    Hi Wolf,

Beall's Lathe Wizard is indexed carving tool that attaches to a lathe and is used to cut spirals, flutes and other designs into turnings. So a carving/cutting tool is the way to go. It is designed to be used with a router, but he says the Foredom allows you to see much better. Thanks for the input!

Scott.
    Hi Scott,

You just gave me some really interesting info. It sounds like that Lathe Wizard would allow me to do some things right on the lathe that I have been doing off the machine and by hand. I better look into this. I guess there is a web site that I can check this out.

Now, with what you have just told me, you should definitely check out the Foredoms. Like I mentioned, this is arguably the best rotary tool on the market. Foredom tools, as far as I know, are all flex shaft type tools but they come in a variety of models that offer different power. There is the 1/10 hp and 1/8 hp that I know for sure and the TX/TXH models which are supposed to offer even more torque. You can go to the Foredom web site and they have info on all the different models. Some are designed for engraving, some for polishing and, of course, my interest is in the carving aspects. The model probably most used by wood carvers is the 1/8 hp SR model (reversible) which also comes in a nonreversible mode model called the S.

As far as purchasing a Foredome, they are available all over the place and all with different prices. Buying one from Foredom is the most expensive way. If you are interested, let me know and I will dig into my stuff and let you know where I bought mine. (I just don't have the info readily available.) I checked with six or eight different places and bought mine (which comes in a "kit" form that includes several different types of cutter heads, worth nearly 50 bucks) for $215.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

Thanks Jim and Wolf!

I'm glad I was able to give something in return by letting you know about that Lathe Wizard. JR Beall told me he made a hundred of them, and when they're gone, he's not going to make any more!

You may also want to look at the Legacy Mills. They are more expensive, but I think they have more expandibility. Are you possibly thinking of coming to Provo for the Symposium? If so, the penturners group is sponsoring a tour of Legacy Woodworking, makers of the Legacy Mills. This invite also goes to anyone who is going to be there that wants to come along! It will bu Tuesday afternoon, June 8th in Provo Utah. (Be there, or be square!)

And thanks for the information on the Foredom tools. I do want to get one, but don't know which one yet. The SR you mentioned sounds good, with the reversible whatever. I looked at the H model on their website (More Power, ugh, ugh!), but it looked like fewer handpieces worked on it. I would prefer to stay with as many options as possible. So if you could check around for prices, I certainly would appreciate it!

Oh, and Wolf, if you come to Provo, that's also where Treeline in located, and they are having a big sale on June 9th! Have I tempted you yet?

Scott.

It's real tempting, Scott, especially since SWMBO and I have talked about a trip to Provo anyhow (possible turning lesson at CS). Unfortunately, we have prior committments the first two weeks of June.

The Foredom that I bought is the 5240 kit. It includes the S series, 1/8 hp reversible motor (this is almost a must for carvers), FCT heavy duty foot control, #44T handpiece w/ 1/4", 1/8 and 3/32" collets, plus the WK50 accessory kit. The accessory kit contains about 50 bucks worth of cutting heads plus some shaft grease.

I found these priced anywhere from about 215 - 259 bucks (higher if you get this direct from Foredom). The $215 kit I got from Frank Russell who, along with his wife, owns and operates the Stonegate Woodcarving School in Vermont. He is also a Foredom distributor. Not only that, his specialty is powercarving and he is intimately familiar with about every rotary tool out there. You can ask him anything, he is a font of information. You might tell him how you would be using your rotary tool and he might even be able to give you some suggestions/recommendations. You can reach Frank at his website:

www.woodcarve.net
    Wolf Kiessling

Thanks Wolf! I think I will check with Frank.

Too bad you can't make it to Provo! Maybe next year.

Scott.