Thread: Safe stain

Safe stain

I am soon to be a grampa I am going to build a crib I was wondering what would be a safe finish on it Is there any ones i should avoid? I was thinking a polyurethane for easy cleaning

I'd use shellac.

I'd go with two coats of shellac then polyurethane on top.

Blog Entries
    This is an often asked question. Basically all the film forming finishes are safe once cured. Nondrying oil finishes would not be a good choince. Newborns don't do a lot of chewing and don't stay in cradles for long, so choice of stain under the finish is purely a matter of cosmetics. Just be sure the finish has enough time to fully cure odor free before installing the baby.

By the way congratulations Grandpa, its a great club to be in.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

shellac is the preferred juice.

######################

This site has absolutely awesome information...Thanks to you!!!

>> Newborns don't do a lot of chewing and don't stay in cradles for long,

But the original poster is building a crib. Children stay in cribs much longer and the crib takes a lot of beating.

I would not use shellac. It is very easily damaged by saliva if it gets chewed on and bodily fluids will quickly damage the finish.

Best is an oil based varnish or poly varnish. It is the most durable and it is easily cleaned. As already said, today's finishes are required to be non-toxic when cured. Give it 3-4 weeks to fully cure and develop its full protective qualities.
    Howie.........

Just a general comment as far as finishes go. Maybe I'll get some kind of response telling me how ignorant I am and if I do that's fine if I learn differently.

As far as I know paint with lead in it is the only finish that would be unsafe and you're not going to find it on the market. There may be allergic or sensitive reactions by some individuals from infants up to adults to specific things but I know of no finishes that have health issues provided they are adequately cured.

I really would like to be enlightened if such is not the case, as I have always heard that tags like "food safe" for kitchenware like salad bowl finishes are just marketing.
    And now for something completely different....

Richard, tags like "food safe" are just marketing. As someone already mentioned all finishes sold today are "safe" when fully cured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, Jim. Now I know where to point the finger for the law suit when somebody turns toes up.

Lee, I didn't mean to just overlook your statement but as I recall you said film forming finishes. I wanted to frame a broader question to include all stuff - oils, stains, etc. I've basically been saying the same thing for xxxx years. As much scrutiny as consumer goods come under in today's litigation happy society it figures.....not that there won't be the rare case of extreme allergy to something no one would have suspected.

And pardon me for semi-hijacking the thread.
    And now for something completely different....