Thread: Videos on Casting for Pens...

Videos on Casting for Pens...

I have recently put up some videos on youtube about how to cast poyester resin into to pen tubes.
    Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RokWw-BR6FM

Let me know what you think

John G

Looks good. I've been wanting to try this... can't wait for part 2.

looks good, let us know when the next segments are ready for viewing.

More videos...

I have uploaded the 2nd part and third will go on tonight...

If you subscribe to my channel on youtube, it will send you an email and let you know when others have come on!!

thanks for viewing,

John G

Pretty Cool. Can't wait to see the final product.
    Greg

Part 4

Part 4 is now up...It shows the blanks before turning.

Grub32

Thanks for the tutorials. The are really nice. I was wondering how you would cast with PR, and you make it look easy. So if I understand you right, you can pretty much buy everything at craft stores, correct?

Looking forward to the finished products.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Cool. Thanks for posting. I don't think I'm at the point of casting my own pens, but the videos were cool to watch ot see how it's done.

Good stuff...

Yes everything can be bought at craft stores except the molds. There are some people out there that are using 1" PVC which works just as well but limits your ability to add swirls and such. The only thing that I bought from another store was powder coasting paint. I got it from Harbor Freight. Other local industrial stores carry it. There are other pigments out there, I find that this is the most cost effective for me right now. I will upgrade later I am sure.

It is very easy and fun, the LOML likes mixing to see what pretty pen I can make with it.

Much cheaper than buying the blanks anywhere else and I am not limited by there selection, I can do WHATEVER I WANT!

Thanks for looking, more videos to come.

John G

Nice Job on the videos.
    I have worked with resin and fiberglass before, and have found that buying resin from craft stores is somewhat of a ripoff. So look around in you area or you phone book to see if you have a fiberglass store around. You can usually buy a quart for a fair price (can't remember right now). But buying pigments from them is really expensive, $40 for a little jar of red......ouch.
    Anyways Thanks for the videos.
    "Turners don't make mistakes just kindling"

Craft stores...

I agree with you on the price of craft stores. I have to say that if you get michaels coupons, they usually have 40 or even 50% off coupons on one item which pushes the price down to 14$ / quart. Buying good resin off line costs 40 per gallon plus shipping, so its not that far off. At least it will get people started and see if they like it.

John G

Thanks John, I've been waiting for someone to produce a video that takes me through the steps as a beginner. I've been wanting to try this and now I can.

First pics of pens...

I first have to say that my photo setup is improving...better today than yesterday...

Here is the first pen from the blanks that I made from my videos. Suggestions and comments are wanted. Its a platinum cigar.

Thanks for looking,

John Grabowski
    Grub32 on youtube
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good so far. If you were to wait a bit longer for the first part to set up would you be able to put swirls into the blank?

Greg

Have enjoyed the first 4, looking forward to number 5
    Cheers

J
    o
    h
    n
    ________

Stupid Hurts.............