Thread: Which Festool Sander??

Which Festool Sander??

OK, SWMBO has just given her permission to buy a Festool C22 and a sander. Now I need to know from the "experts" here which sander would be best for my situation. I already have a RO 125. I'm planning on using the sander for finishing work on furniture. For that purpose am I better off getting a RS 2 or an ETS 150/3? Yes, I want to beat the April 1st price change.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Don,

I wish I was in a position to give you advice, but I haven't had my sanders long enough to do so. I can empathize with you in your time of decision, though.

Last month I bought the RO 150/CT 22 and liked them so much that I was moved to want more. I analyzed and agonized for about three weeks over the decision between the RS 2 and the ETS 150/3 and finally picked the ETS 150/3. I can absolutely tell you that I did not make a bad decision. Did I make the best decision? I don't know. I suspect you will like either of these and there is not bad choice.

Besides, I hope there is another day coming and the RS 2E is still on the list!

Good luck,

Jerry

I love my ETS 150/3 and CT22 both great units. One day I will buy more.

Alan

Hi Don

I have the RO150 and just got the RS2E they are a great combo for just about anything I can imagine. My next choice will probably be a 150/3. I got the CT-33 along with the sander and it works great. The CT-22 is way more popular.(smaller size same power).

Hey by the way ENJOY the RETIREMENT!! not too much longer

Man I'm jealous

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Cowie; 03-28-2008 at 10:59 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Don Bullock View Post
    I already have a RO 125.
    So... why are you looking for another sander, then? Your RO125 should work just fine for finish sanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Sincox View Post
    So... why are you looking for another sander, then? Your RO125 should work just fine for finish sanding.
    I'm looking foe one that will give me a finer finish on furniture than the RO 125. I'm leaning towards the RS 2 mainly because I'm planning on doing some table tops and it seems to be a great sander for that purpose.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

The 6" Rotex is the one to get. It will add versatility. I have the 125/3 and the rotex
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Blog Entries
    I have the 150/3 and just received my RS 2E yesterday. While I haven't had a chance to use it, I can see where the RS/2E has big advantages over any of the ROS for purposes of flattening/sanding large surface areas - like a tabletop that you mentioned.

Since the RO 125 already has ROS functionality, I would lean towards the RS/2E since that will give you a great sander for table tops.

As far as dust collectors go, I've had the CT22 for a few weeks now and am no where close to filling the bag after about 3-4 hours of sanding, trimming a couple of doors and breaking down a sheet of plywood using my ATF 55 circular saw. Also, the CT22 was very easy to pick up and throw in my truck to haul over to my Dad's home to give him a hand with a few things. Based on portability alone, I would go with the CT33.

Good luck with your new purchases.

The 150/3 is my go-to sander, Don. I also have the RO150, but would not enjoy using it as a primary sander simply because it's a two-hand tool. (I have the older version) 95% of the time, it's the 150/3. In fact, it stays hooked up to my CT22 all the time unless I'm actually using a different tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I'm with Jim, the Rotex comes out when I need to aggressively remove material, but the 150/3 is the go-to for everything else, except an occasional detail piece.