Thread: Local auction purchase

Local auction purchase

Picked this toolbox with its' contents up at a local auction a couple weeks ago. Gave $160 for the whole lot. Had 3 saws (Disston D-8, EC Atkins (can't quite make out the model in the etching), and one I can't identify). The 4th saw in the pic is an old Craftsman that I picked up at a yard sale and just threw in with the rest. A Siegley #5C plane, a Yankee North Brothers No. 30 ratcheting s/d with several bits. There are several socket chisels I can't identify yet, but will clean soon. One is a very nice 1/8", and a couple nice 1/4" chisels. There was a Stanley brace and some auger bits, and a G I MIX & CO drawknife in good condition. Also a number of various other tools (wrenches, pliers, punches, etc). The toolbox itself has a 4-place saw till and two other sliding tills. I don't know who painted the inside red, but it's not a color I would have chosen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

David, looks like you're gonna have some fun cleaning that little lot over the next few weeks. Would be interesting to see the final results.

That's a nice score!
    “I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

Okay David now pay close attention, "The wood to build this tool box would cost more that $160."

Then when your spouse queries you, that is your answer, trust me.
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay

Quote Originally Posted by James Mittlefehldt View Post
    Okay David now pay close attention, "The wood to build this tool box would cost more that $160."

Then when your spouse queries you, that is your answer, trust me.
    James,
    There was a point in time I could have used that one. That was back when I had a spouse. Fortunately, I no longer have to answer such queries!

LOL, I sort if used that excuse recently, when I bought a 30 inch wide machinest chest for $150. has quarter sawn oak drawer fronts (8 drawers) and plain sawn oak sides and front. My wife actually thought it was rather attractive, so did not query me too closely about the cost verse value.

That and the fact I saw a similar one a few weeks before for the same price that was an 18 inch version, and not as clean looking.

What is the wood by the way, in yours?
    Craftsmanship is the skill employed in making a thing properly, and a good craftsman is one who has complete mastery over his tools and material, and who uses them with skill and honesty.

N. W. Kay