Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday March 29th, 2008

GOOD MORNING "CREEKERS"!!

Well, after last Fridays nearly 12 inches of snow this past week has been pretty good around here. Temps have been in the 40's during the day but, still going below freezing overnight. That's really a good thing as it's keeping the snow melt regulated to some extent.

Not much going for me this weekend. Foot is still a problem, although it is a wee bit better. I'm doing stretching exercises for the heel and calf. Thanks for the well wishes. If possible, I'm going to try and get out and start the process of putting the shop back in order after a long winter of non use. We'll see how that goes.

So what's happening in your neck of the woods? Fun? Games? Work?

Whatever the weekend holds I trust you'll make the best of it. Remember to be SAFE.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Woke up this morn' to 4 more inches of the white stuff, UGH! Will spring ever really get here? Anyway...

I have plans to get out and get the shop back in order. The last two weeks have been very hectic and I need a little down time. Turn on the tunes and putz around getting things put away.

Little sis wants me to come over and finish hanging the drywall in her 3/4 bath were renovating. Jury's still out, but I don't seem to have the ability to say "No" to my little sister, never have.

Oh well, have fun and be safe.

Cheers, Fred
    While Genuis may be handicapped by limits, Stupidity does not suffer the same affliction - Let's be careful out there!

GO490 is scheduled for delivery today, so I am sure that setting up and getting familiarized with that will take a large chunk of my weekend.

Also going to go floor shopping for laminate/engineered wood floors for some rooms in the house. Painting a few doors, then with the new jointer going to square some stock to make some cutting boards for friends.

Oh, also plant a side flower garden next to the fence. I have the plants and such, just have to do it...
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I was planning to go tomorrow to buy sheet goods for a book case for my daughter and then get started on it. But as Fred mentioned, SE Michigan saw yet another snow, and they would hang out the back of my truck a foot so that probably is out. The backup plan will probably be some kind of shop project.

Going rust hunting this weekend. Big Antiques fair east of Austin this weekend. Haven't been in two years. Would really like to find some decent chisels besides the HD Buck Bros. They aren't bad, just would like a little better. Looking for a rabbet plane, and a #49, or 50 Nicholson.(Fat chance with that). May also look for some molding planes that I don't have, that I might be able to use.

Still in Lake Charles working. Will work Sat but don't think so on Sunday. Mostly making plans for when I get home. As of right now looks like I will be spending most of the time on vehicle maintenance though. Have a couple Jeeps that have been neglected for the last couple years. Need to do some upkeep on them before they start to rot out from under me. Think I will add some lights to the automotive area in my big building. I have been bringing cars around to the wood shop door and working on them in there since I upgraded the lighting in that end of the building.

But thats only planning as I am not home yet.

This weekend I will be attending my first SAPFM (Society of American Period Furniture Makers) meeting in Lancaster, Ohio. Two days and I am thrilled to be able to go. They are planning several demonstrations on chair building, both Windsor and Queen Anne/Chippendale.

Installing hinges on the TV stand from heck, then start doing the finish on it.
    Getting all the rods and reels out, oiled and respooled and ready for next month, along with maybe getting a few handguns out and ready for IPSC/USPSA shooting.

Pretty laid back weekend

Karl you get better now, I don't want to hear any excuses on the golf course...

Al
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

I will get a little shop time this weekend as well as time to do some necessary things in the addition.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Two words.... Yard work
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Time to work on getting the shop a ceiling. I got a few boards of OSB layered up with some killz to try out. Now to see if I can rip it ok and tack to the top of the joists.

No shop time this weekend...Tomorrow is opening day of trout.

Learn to use my bandsaw, make some drawers and start putting together my DC system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Two words.... Yard work
    I'm going to have to do some of this too, before my neighbors decide to report my house as abandoned.

In addition to that, on Saturday I'm going to lend a hand at the new workshop for the Alabama Woodworkers Guild. I just found out about the guild a couple of weeks ago, and I went to a meeting last week. Really nice people. They have a shop that they are setting up in an old school building, and it should be ready to open in about 3 weeks. A ton of work has already been done and I think I'll be helping with some final electrical work, but there are lots of things that need doing so I'll just pitch in with whatever they need. I'm excited to see the shop, because it sounds like they have a lot of really great tools and a very nice space. If I remember correctly, they have a 7.5 HP dust collector?!?!

On Sunday I plan to go pick up some wood pallets that Mark Springer was nice enough to tell me about, and then it will be back to the house for the aforementioned yard work.

So, I guess I'm not really doing any woodworking this weekend, but I am doing work that is related to woodworking. Does that count?
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Hey Karl,
    All that Snow just passed us bye.
    More punch list.

There's gotta be an end in sight
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/