Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How are you going to spend your tax rebate money?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Seriously, haven't he Canadians been making fun of us for this? .
    Of course they are. (warning, Link goes to a commentator on the CBC website writing a tongue-in-cheek article poking fun by encouraging Americans to spend irresponsibly since it helps everyone else' economy so much. So it is kind of political )

But then, our tax system is quite screwed up also, and our government also gives out weird grants and non-refundable credits and so on at various times that have people scratching their heads.

For instance, I understand that in the States a husband/wife can file jointly, but we still have to go through handstands and headaches with filing separate returns and making sure that we declare what is hers on her form and what is mine on my form... never mind that my wife and I have shared everything since we said "I do" almost 17 years ago... But hopefully that will change soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm taking a big tax hit due to my company going private.. . capital gains are what they are. I can either complain about the taxes or enjoy the fact that our addition is getting paid for with no increase in debt. I've chosen to embrace the latter...
    Hmm, condolences on getting your investment liquidated against your will.
    And, congratulations on getting your addition built without more debt.
    (or: Shame on you for not going further into debt, to stimulate the economy! )

...art

ps: I have no idea what I'm doing with the tax refund. Just dropped off the half-inch-thick pile of papers at the accountant on Thursday. So we're going to see what the refund will even be first. Usually we give some to charity, and apply a big chunk to the mortgage, unless we have some other big expense that we've agreed upon.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tom, it works out that way sometimes. I'm taking a big tax hit due to my company going private...all the stock I purchased over the years via the ESPP was automagically sold and the capital gains are what they are. I can either complain about the taxes or enjoy the fact that our addition is getting paid for with no increase in debt. I've chosen to embrace the latter...
    Ouch !!!! at least it was not a loss.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Just the way that PITA POTUS wanted me too.

Sony 40" LCD HD TV
    27" CRT HD TV
    DVD Blue Ray Player
    Sub Wooooof'a

OK it paid for a 1/3 of it, but there's 24 months interest free on the rest.
    I think it is better to make something with modest tools and do your best, then to have great tools and do nothing.... how do you know what you can do if you don't try...Mark Singer

Modest tools and a lot of wood

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Not going to get one
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

A timely root canal just popped up. $2,000 with crown.
    -Jeff

My $600 is going towards flooring in the bus I am converting to an RV. The other $200 or so left will go towards other parts for my bus conversion.

I sold all my big iron as I didn't have a good place to store it while my basement was converted to a family room so I can sell the house. All I have left is a cheap Craftsman table saw I bought to work on my bus and a CMS along with my cordless tools. I wish I was using my money to buy some new big iron, but my house doesn't go on the market until Tuesday or Wednesday this week.

My understanding is the rebates are being accounted for by reducing the federal tax rate for the lowest bracket. We'll all likely need to report the rebate on our 2008 taxes, but the reduced tax rate will cover the rebate. If they really are reducing the lowest tax rate, it seems that everyone making over $75,000 or $150,000 will still get the rebate at tax time next year.

I've seen this floating around the internet..............

As you may have heard the Bush Administration said each and every one of us would now get a nice rebate. If we spend that money at
    Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China. If we spend it on gasoline
    it will all go to the Arabs, if we purchase a computer it will all go
    to India, if we purchase fruit and vegetables it will all go to
    Mexico, Honduras, and Guatamala, if we purchase a good car it will
    all go to Japan, if we purchase useless crap it will all go to Taiwan
    and none of it will help the American economy.

We need to keep that money here in America, so the only way to keep
    that money here at home is to buy prostitutes and beer, since those
    are the only businesses still in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    We need to keep that money here in America, so the only way to keep
    that money here at home is to buy prostitutes and beer, since those
    are the only businesses still in the US.
    Well shoot. I spent mine on a Carvewright.

nathan

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    If we spend that money at
    Wal-Mart, all the money will go to China.
    Last I heard Wal-Mart was an American company.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

10. What tax rebate money?

If, like me, you were expecting to receive a rebate direct deposited this week, you might not be happy if a) you owed tax and had it Direct Debited and b) used Turbo Tax.

It turns out that despite Turbo Tax asking for information on where you wanted your Direct Deposit of your rebate and telling you that you would receive the rebate through direct deposit they didn't properly send the information to the IRS and you will receive a paper check. Turbo Tax is telling people that this is the IRS's fault, the IRS says that some tax prep software will allow it and some won't. Regardless, it can't be fixed at this point, which means it may be another 6 weeks.

Update: You are entitled to a refund of the purchase price of the Turbo Tax if the software did not correctly process your information. 1-800-268-9062.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 05-09-2008 at 1:43 PM.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    If, like me, you were expecting to receive a rebate direct deposited this week, you might not be happy if a) you owed tax and had it Direct Debited and b) used Turbo Tax.

It turns out that despite Turbo Tax asking for information on where you wanted your Direct Deposit of your rebate and telling you that you would receive the rebate through direct deposit they didn't properly send the information to the IRS and you will receive a paper check. Turbo Tax is telling people that this is the IRS's fault, the IRS says that some tax prep software will allow it and some won't. Regardless, it can't be fixed at this point, which means it may be another 6 weeks.
    That's strange. I use Turbo Tax and the GOV direct deposited into our account last Wednesday, no problem.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bruce, did you owe tax and pay it with direct debit? The answer to both has to be yes to trigger the problem.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Bruce, did you owe tax and pay it with direct debit? The answer to both has to be yes to trigger the problem.
    Oh....
    No, we got a refund.
    I hope you don't have to wait another 6 weeks, that would suck.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Mine is going to cover a small portion of the cost of my daughters wedding.