Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tool Battery Repair

Tool Battery Repair

Anyone ever try this "nicad battery fix"? I found it at www.nicadbatteryfix.com its only $3.99

I have a couple 18v Dewalts that are nearly dead. I've read some people have had good luck with a repair called "battery ressurection" also found on the net, but thats like $12.95. There suppose to fix what is commonly reffered to as "memory effect"

I think I am going to give it a try, just wondered if anyone else has used such a thing? If it works only for a month, It would be worth the price to me. Considering 18v Dewalts are $50 a piece. Thanks

My experience with DeWalt batteries is that when they start failing, they keep failing. I've tried some of those "fixes" and none I've tried have done anything to rejuvenate the battery.

I think you'd be wasting your money. If you do try it, post the results here.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 03-29-2008 at 12:15 PM. Reason: spelling
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

A friend just got a couple back from a company that rebuilds them. Amazing results, they are better than when new. He said the cost was a lot less than a new battery. They will rebuild it with the same type cells or you can upgrade and get a much better battery than what you bought new. Here is the link, www.primecell.com.

Greg

I once read that by freezing standard NiCad batteries, you can get extra life out of them. I tried it one time but it did not seem to make any difference.Doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Well so far so good, I bought the book about an hour ago, got it sent by email, in a link to download almost immedietly, which was cool that they do what they advertise.

I ran over the steps quickly with one of my 18v dewalts that had read about 4 volts after a charge.

There are 3 or 4 differant ways they list on how to repair a battery. I guess it depends on the severety of the damage.

After about 10 minutes, a volt-meter, and some alligator clipped wires, I had a battery that was reading about 17.5 volts. I am going to try it once more on the same battery to see if I can get anymore out of it.

The book tells me to completely drain the battery, then give it a full charge before I do it again. So I will, to be safe.

Well to my amasement, so far it looks like it works. I do need to try the other battery, and I can comment again on it. Maybe I got lucky on the first one.

Blog Entries
    Pay yourself $1 and hour and the time you waste will pay for a rebild. MTO Battery owner is a member here. Did 4 recently and had them upgraded to the higher mha level and it still cost less than new (lesser) batteries.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Pay yourself $1 and hour and the time you waste will pay for a rebild. MTO Battery owner is a member here. Did 4 recently and had them upgraded to the higher mha level and it still cost less than new (lesser) batteries.
    I agree with Glenn. Those "fixes" never work long term - meaning that even if the battery takes a charge, it runs down so fast it's not usable.

If there was some "fix" the battery manufacturers would have put it into their chargers. And if you're skeptical that the manufacturer would do it because they could sell you a new battery, they'd be some entrepreneure making a third party battery charger that would extend the life of batteries (actually, some entrepreneures have tried but none of their chargers that I've tried have worked any better than the manufacturer's chargers).

Save yourself some time and money and get a new battery or have the old battery rebuilt.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Nick, please post a follow-up to your results. Good if it works right away, better if it actually lasts....

Ken

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I agree with Glenn. Those "fixes" never work long term - meaning that even if the battery takes a charge, it runs down so fast it's not usable.

If there was some "fix" the battery manufacturers would have put it into their chargers. And if you're skeptical that the manufacturer would do it because they could sell you a new battery, they'd be some entrepreneure making a third party battery charger that would extend the life of batteries (actually, some entrepreneures have tried but none of their chargers that I've tried have worked any better than the manufacturer's chargers).

Save yourself some time and money and get a new battery or have the old battery rebuilt.

Mike
    I would like to believe that the battery manufacturers want are batteries to last forever, but yes they do need us to buy new batteries. I am un-aware of any aftermarket chargers. Can you link to a site that shows an example? You have to wonder if somebody created a battery charger that "fixed" old batteries to run like new, the big companies like Black & Decker {dewalt} would step in and either buy them out, or file an "Intellectual Property" lawsuit. The big companies can protect there products rights like that.

I think this Ni-Cad battery Fix guy gets away with this because it's a "technique" he's selling, not a product.

I'm sure it's to everyones surprise and mine, both of my 18v dewalts are holding a charge, and seem pretty strong. I can't stop the chuck with my hand, not even close.

I think the real test will be time. I am far from wealthy, but like I already said, if this gets me a month more use for $3.99, I'm a happy customer.

I will keep this post updated. If its good info, and it seems it is, everyone should know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Jan View Post
    I am un-aware of any aftermarket chargers. Can you link to a site that shows an example?
    Sure - see here. I tried it on several DeWalt batteries and none of them were "revived".

It's expensive, too.

Mike

I would like to believe that the battery manufacturers want are batteries to last forever, but yes they do need us to buy new batteries. I am un-aware of any aftermarket chargers. Can you link to a site that shows an example? You have to wonder if somebody created a battery charger that "fixed" old batteries to run like new, the big companies like Black & Decker {dewalt} would step in and either buy them out, or file an "Intellectual Property" lawsuit. The big companies can protect there products rights like that.

I think this Ni-Cad battery Fix guy gets away with this because it's a "technique" he's selling, not a product.

I'm sure it's to everyones surprise and mine, both of my 18v dewalts are holding a charge, and seem pretty strong. I can't stop the chuck with my hand, not even close.

I think the real test will be time. I am far from wealthy, but like I already said, if this gets me a month more use for $3.99, I'm a happy customer.

I will keep this post updated. If its good info, and it seems it is, everyone should know about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Sure - see here. I tried it on several DeWalt batteries and none of them were "revived".

It's expensive, too.

Mike
    Now Mike, if you could find me a charger and batteries that would power my old 9.6 stick Makita's, with Lithium instead of Nicad.........

They STILL run, and I recently inherited 3 more from a friend (now have 5).

My Delta 14.4v batteries took a dump on me so last Sat I purchased that new Makita 18v litium ion dril/driver. It received the Editors Choice in the latest issue of popular woodworking. Seems to be a pretty stout unit, fast recharge times and actually lighter than the Delta. On the new unit, you can tighten the bit with one hand which is nice. I can't tell for sure but my Delta will charge but discharge on it's own quite quickly. I think the drill has a short which is draining the battery.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Thanks for the link. I have seen that charger before but never in use, it looks like a quality piece. I didn't see a price on the site, how much did you pay for it?

Is it better used as a multi-port charger, than a "Reviving" charger?

Thanks for the link. I have seen that charger before but never in use, it looks like a quality piece. I didn't see a price on the site, how much did you pay for it?

Is it better used as a multi-port charger, than a "Reviving" charger?
    It didn't work to "revive" any of the batteries I have, and I doubt if anything revives a dead battery (except those with memory problems). Anyway, you can find the multi-port here ($400) and the single port here ($125). They're available at other places - just google.

Let me point out that you also have to buy the adaptor for the type of batteries you're using - at about $20 per adaptor.

Mike

Well so far so good, I bought the book about an hour ago, got it sent by email, in a link to download almost immedietly, which was cool that they do what they advertise.

I ran over the steps quickly with one of my 18v dewalts that had read about 4 volts after a charge.

There are 3 or 4 differant ways they list on how to repair a battery. I guess it depends on the severety of the damage.

After about 10 minutes, a volt-meter, and some alligator clipped wires, I had a battery that was reading about 17.5 volts. I am going to try it once more on the same battery to see if I can get anymore out of it.

The book tells me to completely drain the battery, then give it a full charge before I do it again. So I will, to be safe.

Well to my amasement, so far it looks like it works. I do need to try the other battery, and I can comment again on it. Maybe I got lucky on the first one.
    Hi Nick,
    What are the 3 or 4 ways to repair a dead battery?

Thanks