Thread: Used Tool Gloat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Used Tool Gloat

This is an unabashed major used tool gloat. Today I have signed the deal on the purchase of a full shop of tools of a recently deceased furniture maker. I bought the whole shop, power tools, hand tools, accessories, and wood in the shop. Everything within 4 walls. The major power tools, all single phase (most with changed motors, but the PM 68 has a phase converter), are:

PM 160, with segmented infeed rollers, adj. bed rollers, and knife grinder. Getting it into the basement will be a trick, as my door opening is 28" max, and the base is 29".

PM 68, 12" TS, with Bies.
    PM 1150 - 15" drill press
    PM 60 - 8" jointer
    PM 26 shaper, with cutters, spindles, etc.
    PM 141, 14" BS
    Delta 20 BS
    Griggio Horiz Slot Mort., with end mills
    PM 90, with 23 Sorby turning tools
    3hp Murphy Rodgers DC (chip collector)

HS grinder, 8" Delta, and a flat Makita horiz. grinder, with water drip.
    All blades, bits, etc.
    2 routers (Hitachi plunge and PC fixed base), 2 grinders (small Makita and larger Milw.), Bosch jig saw, Set of new Jap. chisels (brand unknown, but from Japan Woodworker. 3 metal planes, all MF, and 2 Jap. smoothers. Nice and true 6" Bridge City brass try square. Steel rules, Older Leigh DT Jig (of no use to me). Hardware, storage, you name it. A fully equipped shop.
    Range of slabbed walnut and cherry, most with crotch, and tropicals, etc. (Bol. Rosewood, Hond. Rosewood, Olive, Zebrano, etc.). I don’t have an inventory of the wood yet. Looks to be about 1000 BF or so. I ran all of the tools, and they run, but need to be cleaned of light surface rust, greased, gone over, etc.

Originally I had planned to flip most of these tools, or trade them out for my own, and sell some of mine. Now, I am not sure. I will definitely sell the 8" jointer, and either the PM 90, or my Delta lathe. Also will sell the 20" Delta BS. As to the wood, I will likely let some of it go as storage is an issue.

The tools are well cared for, but at least 10 years old, as that is when this fellow changed careers. He was fastidious, and so all of the original manuals are in the shop. If anyone is looking for a particular manual, let me know and I will gladly share.

I lusted after the HSM. I don’t know much about the PM 68, and am thinking about it.
    There is 100 bf of 4/4, and some 8/4, of the reddish/orangish tropical wood attached, which I do not recognize. Help would be appreciated.
    I sweated out this buy for 2 weeks, but the fellow’s sister was a delight to deal with.

Anyone want to trade labor for wood? Anyone got a flatbed with a forklift? Just kidding, sort of.
    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images