Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Tool Gloat

Used Tool Gloat

This is an unabashed major used tool gloat. Today I have signed the deal on the purchase of a full shop of tools of a recently deceased furniture maker. I bought the whole shop, power tools, hand tools, accessories, and wood in the shop. Everything within 4 walls. The major power tools, all single phase (most with changed motors, but the PM 68 has a phase converter), are:

PM 160, with segmented infeed rollers, adj. bed rollers, and knife grinder. Getting it into the basement will be a trick, as my door opening is 28" max, and the base is 29".

PM 68, 12" TS, with Bies.
    PM 1150 - 15" drill press
    PM 60 - 8" jointer
    PM 26 shaper, with cutters, spindles, etc.
    PM 141, 14" BS
    Delta 20 BS
    Griggio Horiz Slot Mort., with end mills
    PM 90, with 23 Sorby turning tools
    3hp Murphy Rodgers DC (chip collector)

HS grinder, 8" Delta, and a flat Makita horiz. grinder, with water drip.
    All blades, bits, etc.
    2 routers (Hitachi plunge and PC fixed base), 2 grinders (small Makita and larger Milw.), Bosch jig saw, Set of new Jap. chisels (brand unknown, but from Japan Woodworker. 3 metal planes, all MF, and 2 Jap. smoothers. Nice and true 6" Bridge City brass try square. Steel rules, Older Leigh DT Jig (of no use to me). Hardware, storage, you name it. A fully equipped shop.
    Range of slabbed walnut and cherry, most with crotch, and tropicals, etc. (Bol. Rosewood, Hond. Rosewood, Olive, Zebrano, etc.). I don’t have an inventory of the wood yet. Looks to be about 1000 BF or so. I ran all of the tools, and they run, but need to be cleaned of light surface rust, greased, gone over, etc.

Originally I had planned to flip most of these tools, or trade them out for my own, and sell some of mine. Now, I am not sure. I will definitely sell the 8" jointer, and either the PM 90, or my Delta lathe. Also will sell the 20" Delta BS. As to the wood, I will likely let some of it go as storage is an issue.

The tools are well cared for, but at least 10 years old, as that is when this fellow changed careers. He was fastidious, and so all of the original manuals are in the shop. If anyone is looking for a particular manual, let me know and I will gladly share.

I lusted after the HSM. I don’t know much about the PM 68, and am thinking about it.
    There is 100 bf of 4/4, and some 8/4, of the reddish/orangish tropical wood attached, which I do not recognize. Help would be appreciated.
    I sweated out this buy for 2 weeks, but the fellow’s sister was a delight to deal with.

Anyone want to trade labor for wood? Anyone got a flatbed with a forklift? Just kidding, sort of.
    Alan
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    He scores.
    Nice haul Alan.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Turner
    This is an unabashed major used tool gloat. Today I have signed the deal on the purchase of a full shop of tools of a recently deceased furniture maker. I bought the whole shop, power tools, hand tools, accessories, and wood in the shop. Everything within 4 walls. The major power tools, all single phase (most with changed motors, but the PM 68 has a phase converter), are:

PM 160, with segmented infeed rollers, adj. bed rollers, and knife grinder. Getting it into the basement will be a trick, as my door opening is 28" max, and the base is 29".

PM 68, 12" TS, with Bies.
    PM 1150 - 15" drill press
    PM 60 - 8" jointer
    PM 26 shaper, with cutters, spindles, etc.
    PM 141, 14" BS
    Delta 20 BS
    Griggio Horiz Slot Mort., with end mills
    PM 90, with 23 Sorby turning tools
    3hp Murphy Rodgers DC (chip collector)

HS grinder, 8" Delta, and a flat Makita horiz. grinder, with water drip.
    All blades, bits, etc.
    2 routers (Hitachi plunge and PC fixed base), 2 grinders (small Makita and larger Milw.), Bosch jig saw, Set of new Jap. chisels (brand unknown, but from Japan Woodworker. 3 metal planes, all MF, and 2 Jap. smoothers. Nice and true 6" Bridge City brass try square. Steel rules, Older Leigh DT Jig (of no use to me). Hardware, storage, you name it. A fully equipped shop.
    Range of slabbed walnut and cherry, most with crotch, and tropicals, etc. (Bol. Rosewood, Hond. Rosewood, Olive, Zebrano, etc.). I don’t have an inventory of the wood yet. Looks to be about 1000 BF or so. I ran all of the tools, and they run, but need to be cleaned of light surface rust, greased, gone over, etc.

Originally I had planned to flip most of these tools, or trade them out for my own, and sell some of mine. Now, I am not sure. I will definitely sell the 8" jointer, and either the PM 90, or my Delta lathe. Also will sell the 20" Delta BS. As to the wood, I will likely let some of it go as storage is an issue.

The tools are well cared for, but at least 10 years old, as that is when this fellow changed careers. He was fastidious, and so all of the original manuals are in the shop. If anyone is looking for a particular manual, let me know and I will gladly share.

I lusted after the HSM. I don’t know much about the PM 68, and am thinking about it.
    There is 100 bf of 4/4, and some 8/4, of the reddish/orangish tropical wood attached, which I do not recognize. Help would be appreciated.
    I sweated out this buy for 2 weeks, but the fellow’s sister was a delight to deal with.

Anyone want to trade labor for wood? Anyone got a flatbed with a forklift? Just kidding, sort of.
    Alan
    Great gloat!...If you sell the tri-sqr. I would be interested....
    Greg

I didn't know heaven had internet access...

Awesome score.

Brian

Major coup

I recentely bought out a shop from a woodworker hoobiest, but he had a lot of tools so I'm in a similar situation. I need to decide what to keep and what to sell. It's a real ambarassment of riches. Paul Held

Nice score! And see my email about the wood...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hey, Mr. Becker...no scecret PMs!! You gotta enough lumber Mr. 100-Acre Wood....

Alan, why couldn't you be on the Left Coast???
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Hey, Mr. Becker...no scecret PMs!! You gotta enough lumber Mr. 100-Acre Wood....
    3.82 acres unfortunately...but half of it is wooded!

As to the lumber, like any sawdust addict, I'm always interested in "something special". Pieces of lumber are one of a kind, so when you see something that really floats your boat...buy it. Worse case, you can usually sell it for at least as much as you paid for it. But you knew that already, Mr Maple Boards!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Alan, nice score!! I have purchsed 3 separate estates at different times - and the last one was from the son of a deceased pattern maker. Although, none were as laiden with REAL tools like your's was.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble selling your excess. Just be sure to leave yourself enough room in your shop to be able to continue making your FINE looking furniture and still be able to move around.

I sold my PM60 for $600, but I saw another one quite similar (extra knives, mobile base, same motor, etc.) recently sell for $1,000. The classifieds here on SMC are pretty effective.

Todd

Thumbs up

Oh yea. Wood and Tools. Always a nice score and gloat, new or used. Looks like a shop expansion is in order now? lol
    Steve

Nice Score!

I'm interested in the 8" jointer. It's one of the tools i need soonest. Any idea on price?

blhale@direcway.com

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Wow! Major gloat, indeed! Talk about "Instant Shop". Just add water and...No! Wait. Forget the water thing. NOT good for tools. Quite the haul, Alan! Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Nice Haul

That is woodworker's dream. I could sure use some of that wood. I live in the Phila area too and would love to take a look at it if you want to clear some of it out.

Dave

Alan,
    Right place right time! Congradulations!!! I have done exactly the same thing...then my dog licks me and wakes me up!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Todd,
    Thanks for the info on the jointer prices. Iwasn't sure. As to the patternmaker, wow. They had some pretty unique tools. My very favorite in the world marking guage is from a pattern shop that closed about a year ago.
    I think it was handmade, by cooperation between the patternmakers and the foundry guys, over lunch sort of thing. Make a pattern, cast 100 or so, share with friends.

I got a lot of the handtools, and 3 Emmert's. One No. 2 for me, 2 No. 1's for friends. $175 @. I felt like I was stealing. But,as yousay, the wood was not very adventuresome, but some was really thick. Only wood I took was some fall-ff of 1" BB ply, for jig wood, and it is fabulous. Flat and stable like crazy.
    Last edited by Alan Turner; 03-25-2004 at 9:34 AM.