Thread: Introduction

Introduction

Hello I am new to this forum and to wood turning. I was given a Jet 1442 lathe last October and have been having fun learning to turn. My Dad has been turning for 15 years or so and spent a week showing me the basics. Currently I am making pens and selling them. I have made one segmented vase and a couple of small bowls. I went to Tulsa and picked up some different woods a couple of weeks ago and am planning another segmented bowl. Can anyone suggest a finish that will keep the padauk and purple heart from turning dark?

Thanks,

Ken

Welcome to the Creek and the Vortex Ken!

I'm afraid I can't help with that finish question. I haven't found a finish yet that will stop the changes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken - Welcome to the Creek! No idea of a finish that will stop the color change. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Welcome Ken to SMC. I have tried Spar Varnish with a UV protection on both those woods. It proved to hold the color a while longer but I did notice they are starting to turn. I made a piece for my sister and went to see her over Easter. I looked at it and yea you can see a faint hint of brown. I did the piece almost a year ago and of course it sits near a window.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Welcome Ken, looking forward to seeing some of your work.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Welcome to the Creek, Ken. Glad to have you around.
    As far as finishes are concerned, for those woods, I don't know either. I just takes my chances with whatever suits me, and allows the wood to do what it wants to do. Color changes are just about uncontrollable, for me to worry about, anyway. (Too old to get in a fret over it.)
    But I'll venture some one here will know what's best. These folks are truly amazing at times, with what they know about wood.
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 03-29-2008 at 2:51 PM.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.

Is sunlight the key?

Welcome!! I have not tried to prevent their color change, but I noticed something at a local woodworking center. They had milled a bunch of purpleheart into a chair rail or cap molding. It was bundled, standing in a corner, for a couple years. Their lumber department was on the lower floor, and no natural light came in from anywhere. It was unfinished, and remained bright purple! Maybe light is the only factor in its color change? Just a guess.

Hutch

Blog Entries
    Welcome Ken. best way to prevent color change is keep it out of the sunlight. I too am a segmenter. Lets see some pics. BTW if you become a contributor you will get even more from SMC.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Welcome Ken. I think the key is filtering out the UV light. Sounds like Bernie has the right idea.
    Mike