Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you had an easy button

If you had an easy button

What would you change or redo to your current shop?
    Mine
    Raise ceiling to provide more overhead Storage.
    Overhead outlets with flexable cord to plug in machines which are on mobile bases.Lights on all tools BS DP etc.
    Bathroom(shop is in seperate building)
    I think this thread may useful to someone planning a shop.

Mine would be 4 times larger, with a Domino sitting on a Sawstop in the middle.

Physically, about 30" more head room, and twice the size.
    Equipment wise...Just transplant the Mini Max show room!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Have the size I need (sqft wise), maybe in a different shape (more square maybe). But I desperiately need more ceiling height. At least for a section of the shop. 8' ceilings but need about 12'. I am contemplating adding a 16' x 24' section for just this. But wife would get really upset as the house needs work as well. As for tools. I am not particular in brand. If Grizzly wanted to sponsor me and send a truckfull to my house. I would not send it away. I would be willing to wear a Jumpsuit all days with the sponsors patches and stuff.

Bathroom as well. Its about 200' with the nearest tree probably 50'
    Last edited by Ben Cadotte; 03-29-2008 at 5:58 PM.

1) Bathroom in the shop, which would probably also mean I'd move my office out to the shop so that I would "go" to work every day and be able to come home and leave work out there.
    2) Second building for storage of the tractor, implements, Mule, "stuff", etc. Big enough for the camper and trailer too. Then I'd use the existing walled-off space I have for that stuff as a metalworking/mechanical shop so that I could keep hobbies separated.
    3) I'd actually lower the ceiling. I have a 12' ceiling which is about 2' high. Its occasionally nice, but adds a lot of volume to heat/cool, and working on stuff up there is a pain. I rented scaffolding when I installed the ceiling, lights, and ductwork. But now that's not practical with all the contents in there.
    4) More windows. 2 + the one in the door isn't enough. I only started out with 1. I added the 2nd and replaced a solid door.
    5) Floor drain. Though I'm not sure where it would run to since I have groundwater issues in the spring. I guess it would have to go to a sump pump.
    6) Roll up door in the back of the shop instead of a sliding barn door. Keeps the pests out.
    7) Larger "spray booth" I made it about 6' wide. Should have been 8'.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 03-29-2008 at 2:46 PM.

Much larger! I have 110 sq feet (10' by 11") now.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

1) Make it square. It (my backyard shop) is 12x30 and although it's not far a googleplex of trips from one end to the other adds up. That would also make it more efficent for window/door ventilation as well as for heating..

2) Have a dedicated space for a dust collector and well placed ducting and drops. There's also a "googleplex" of posts about dust collection on the forums of this site. At the time I built my shop (and it's not all that old - certainly not a WPA project ) I gave as much thought to dust collection as the average woodworker of the day.....not much. Dust collection for most shops consisted of a dustpan and broom.
    And now for something completely different....

1. Be adopted by an oil sheik
    2. He’d set me up in a shop/studio/gallery on prime oceanfront property with a magnificent view
    3. The shop would have state-of-the-art tailed and untailed equipment to work top quality domestic and exotic woods
    4. Free classes for SMC members conducted by world-class craftspeople
    5. Gallery staffed by beautiful blondes, brunettes and redheads
    6. Fully furnished bachelor’s pad on the top floors
    7. Don’t push that button yet……I’m still thinkin’

Blog Entries
    Add around 500 sq ft.(See workshops forum)
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Much larger! I have 110 sq feet (10' by 11") now.

Mike
    Wow... 11" ~~ and I thought my shop was small. Seriously, Id add more room...and more tools...and more wood...and a tv...and a fridge. Dont need a bathroom, I have a chamber pot. I just have to remember to empty it every day
    My favorite cologne is BLO

Yes.

Don't ever put the office at the main walkin front door.

All the rocks, mud, dirt on shoes, dogs and cats and critters, and the cold wind comes right into my office when the door opens.

Put it farther back in.

I have about 1000sq now but store a 3320 Deere in there as well.

So here is my Easy/Wish list:
    Need a new building.
    Put in in-floor duct work.
    Put in tons of 220V outlets by the ductwork drops.
    Put in some in-ceiling drop down outlets.
    Put in some drop down air hoses.
    Flush mounted ceiling "bright" lighting.
    Bathroom
    Finish Room with blast proof exhaust
    Minimum 10' roll up insulated doors or even big barn doors.
    Panel saw setup by doors
    Huge wood rack and sheet good storage
    Put Air compressor and Cyclone in other building

I just need a nice 2000Sq Morton type building - Heated.

I am happy with what I have now. No complaints.

wow size matters to most people. For me, more space my 20x24 gurage with yard stuff tractor and a 7.5' celing is just not enought. Everything else I can add myself or change.
    -=Jason=-

I have a basement shop. This is what I would have done differently if I was setting it up again.

• More 220V outlets.
    • More light fixtures.
    • Epoxy paint the floors.
    • Have some way of venting directly outside.
    • Add a sink.

I was going to say that I wanted more space for my 11'x20' shop, but then I read Mike's post above.

Hi everybody.

Simple,

10,000 sgft poured concrete slab.

easy.

Per
    "all men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night....wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible."
    T.E. Lawrence