Thread: Grain change?!?

Grain change?!?

This evening, I was planing some red oak. It was about 24" long. About 6" from the end (planing towards this end) there was some pretty good tearout. I think it was due to grain change. I reversed planing just this end and it smoothed it out. However, there were "stop" marks between the two areas since I was planing each way. I figure I can just sand that down (since I don't have a smoother plane yet--only block, jack, fore and jointer).

Is there another way to go about doing this, or did I do the right thing?

Sounds like it cleared up the tearout which is what matters.

You could sand the marks out.. or you could use a scraper and take them out, or sharpen the jack up, and take the absolute lightest passes you can on the board.

Saw Rob Cosman planing a month ago, and realized that I am taking a heavier cut that he was when doing the final stuff. Which explains the lunar landscape finish that I end with on my boards sometimes.

Light light cuts at the very end should help ya. Might want to close the mouth on the jack a little when you do this as well.

If you need a smoother post on the oldtools list and I'm sure someone will answer with a user grade plane that will do the job just fine.

oldtools list? where is this?

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
    oldtools list? where is this?

There maybe, probably is, more than one. Here is a link

http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:...ve/index.phtml

maurice

I agree with the scraper being the tool of choice. It will make short work out of the start and stop marks. I still have to finish up with a little 220 sandpaper as my handplaning skills are not yet to the point where I can get completely smooth surface ( to the eyes ) with just planes.
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Speaking of scrapers, are there brand types that are better than others or are they all pretty much the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly
    Speaking of scrapers, are there brand types that are better than others or are they all pretty much the same?
    I have a couple of Sandvicks(sp?) but I don't know how much of a difference there is in the different vendors.
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Scrapers

Branding on scrapers doesn't really matter much.

Its much more dependant on proper preparation of the burr.

Hit google and do a search and you will get loads of info on filing, stoning and burnishing a scraper.

As for the oldtools list. Here is a link to the FAQ.
    http://www.brendlers.net/oldtools/oldtools.html

Beware.. its a slippery slope.

Scott