Thread: A fruitful weekend

A fruitful weekend

Finished a few pieces for the family room this weekend. Picked up my granite table tops Friday and finished rubbing out the finish yesterday. Now it's time to enjoy.

Mahogany and jade green granite with storebought brass pulls and handmade brass corner fittings. Thanks for looking.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Nice

Excellent job Ron...and very unique! Do you mind sharing your finishing process, you seem to have a very uniform finish.

Dennis

Wow - very nice!! And, you seem to have hit on a unique style.

Thanks guys.

These pieces follow the campaign or military chest style of furniture or at least my interpretation of what the campaign style should be.

The finish started with a coat of dilute Transtint dark red mahogany water stain, then a coat of Bartleys paste stain (oil based) in Pennsylvania Cherry. After two days drying, I applied 6 brush coats of General Finishes High Performance gloss water based top coat.

After another two days drying I wet sand with 400 grit wet or day paper using mineral spirits. And then final buff with 0000 steel wool. Depending on how porous the wood it may take more coats of the top coat to fill the grain. There may be some minor open grain showing but the steel wool buffing hides it to some degree. I top off the finish with a coat of Liberon mahogany colored wax. The dark wax hides any fine white dust trapped in very fine details.

One of these days I going to to learn how to apply grain filler to my satisfaction and maybe cut down on the number of top coats.

Working on a three piece entertainment center in the same style right now. It's going to be a while, lots of drawers and doors.