Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Technique: Wall Paneling with plywood

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Chris, I'm not worried about the thin veneer at all. By the time the toner, stain and glaze all do their "thing", even any sapwood will look the same as the rest.

Those cherry over MDF plywood cabinets I prefinished on the interior before assembly & posted here before were the cabinets for this project. You can see them (and the rest of this project) at http://burchwoodusa.com/miscpix/Remodel/rp_study.html
    Ah, yes...I remember now. It all looks good, Todd. You must be having a ball doing this. Is it still fun even though it is work? I am trying to imagine myself doing this for a living. I know I enjoy doing it at home for my family and for some close friends...just not sure if ww'ing became work how I'd feel.

Anyway, I'm enjoying watching along with you and I'm sure we all appreciate you taking the time and effort to post pics. Are you a 1-man team thus far?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Yes Chris - just call me the Lone Ranger! (Or maybe better, "Kimo Sabe" - the one who doesn't know, or even "Tonto" - the "stupid one")

I need to bite the bullet and get a real shop in a commercial area, and hire at least one craftsman that could build to my specs. It just takes money...

Todd,
    If I can use the new Felder that you have coming, I may apply for a job. Min. wage, with the Felder, should do it.
    Alan

Come on big guy! In your spare time at the shop, you can even work on your own projects.

Alan's daily commute might be a little vicious - especially with gas prices. What about Todd's private plane? Maybe Tyler could jump in and help

Very nice!!!. I often save pictures and postings of techniques that I see myself using on future projects. You have your own directory on my drive at home. One of my next projects will be a builtin. One of my first home projects was to put up a chair rail in my daughters room before she was born. Boy, that made me realize how un-plumb and un-strait walls in a house are. That made my future builtin become this giant daunting task. Thanks to you, and your tips, I feel it is something that I my be able to tackle.

Looking foreward to the finished pics,
    Rob
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Goodwin
    ...You have your own directory on my drive at home...Rob

Rob, what can I say? I am truly honored!

Very nice, Todd!

I've done several jobs like this, but never incorporated a diagonal design like yours, that's a nice focal point. I don't know if you had an opportunity to decide wiring locations earlier in the project or if you lucked out. It's a pain to design panel spacing around wiring locations, or having to rewire, but the symetry has to be right for such a room.

For a few jobs I left the drywall off and used ½" veneered particle board, which gave me an oppotunity to plane/straighten studs and add some framing where necessary. Usually I layout the design on the drywall and use ¼" veneered plywood with lots of yellow glue to adhere to the drywall, and do as much of a grain match as possible on each individual wall. Then glue ½" or ¾" rails and stiles, nailed at the edges where the moldings will cover all the nail holes. I backcut the butt ends a few degrees for a real tight fit. On longer lenghts I cut them a bit proud and spring them in place as you did.

I don't have much of an issue with wavy wall framing, as I straighten studs though the entire house before drywall, and especially in critical areas such as a panelled room, or cabinet walls. My brother and I are the builders, trim crew, etc. etc.

I love doing the panelled rooms, and it seems like you did as well! Thanks for posting the pics and giving me some ideas.

Todd
    That's an absolutely terrific method to get around the non-flat walls.
    But did you sneeze on the camera lens?
    Daniel
    "Howdy" from Southwestern PA

Keith, please make into an article. Todd

Thumbs up

You Do Nice work Todd !!
    You da Man!!
    Jim

Todd...great idea!! Thanks for posting your solution. I think you have solved a few problems that some of us may have to face in the future. I'd better print this thread!

Please keep us posted as the trim gets installed!

Thumbs up

Excellent work Todd! You continue to amaze this old man with your skills and ingenuity!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A beautiful job, Todd, and an excellent tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Keith, please make into an article. Todd

Are meaning to ask Aaron, the moderator, to turn this into an article?

Keith