Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planer needed?

Planer needed?

Ok, this might qualify for Newbie Question of the Week: I need 1/2" thick exotic hardwood boards of various kinds, i.e. maple, cherry, etc., for projects however, some stock is only available to me in 4/4 (or 13/16"). I have no table saw therefore, will a surface planer do the trick in reducing the boards to my desired thickness? I tried my belt sander and just like I expected -- it took forever, made a dusty mess and the end result was dreadfully ugly. What about the hand-held planers for doors and warped studs and such? Will those do? I want the right tool, of course, before investing my money. Thanks a million.

Jay, what part of the planet are you on where maple and cherry are considered exotic hardwoods?

You could use a thickness planer to bring 'em down to 1/2", but there are likely better alternatives. If the available stock isn't too wide you could use a band saw and resaw the planks. That way you would end up throwing away half your stock.

What size are the boards that need planing?

Yes a planer would do the job ,but you will lose a lot of material in doing so, a bandsaw may be the better alternative,. If you do not have access to one and this is a one time project you might want to contact a local cabinet shop and have them resaw the material for you. If you want to do woodworking on a continuous basis i would look into acquiring a portable planer and either a bandsaw or table saw as a start Glad you found this forum and hope you take up woodworking. Be aware that it is addictive and you will most likly eventually wind up with a full arsenal of tools.

Welcome Jay!

What about the hand-held planers for doors and warped studs and such? Will those do?

I'll take a hand-held plane over a powered hand-held planer any day. Check out the Neanderthal Haven for more than enough advice on first planes.

Brian
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Rob Will Guest
    Welcome Jay!
    I would buy a 15" 4-post planer with a BYRD cutterhead and a table saw.

Rob

Jay, if you get 3/4" cabinet lumber, which is 13/16, planing it may be the way to go. If it's run through some type of resaw (most likely a bandsaw) it would probably need planing to at least clean the bandsawn face. There won't be enough to save for anything once you get the 1/2" stock so by my thinking it would only take a couple more planer passes.

If you could get 5/4 stock and have it resawn then you could get two 1/2" pieces. But then it might be as tough finding 5/4 as 1/2. I'd check with a few cabinet shops. Find out 1) do they have facilities to do what you want? 2) will they do it? 3) might they have suggestions for sources of material....and of course how much.
    And now for something completely different....

Frankly if you have the time and the inclination you could become proficient with a handsaw and hand planes to resaw and prepare stock for small projects. Purchase 5/4 to get two pieces 1/2" final dimension. Check the neander region for more advise on this. Stock was resawn by hand well before bandsaws became prevalent.

No matter how you slice it good tools cost money, and custom milled stock costs money too. Lots of sources (rockler, woodcraft. woodworkers supply, many internet wood sellers) will sell you project wood milled to 1/2". With mail order you lose control of picking your stock (you get what they give you) but this may save you lots of work or lots of tools, depends on your ambitions and budget.

Remember, the person selling you 4/4 is not the only wood dealer in the world, probably just the closest one.

It sounds like a planer is the right tool for the job. However, if you don't plan on doing enough projects like this, to justify at least $600 (for a entry level planer & jointer) you may want to just buy the lumber from a hardwood lumber store and have them plane it for you. They charge a small fee, but it may be worth it for you.

I think the site is www.woodfinder.net that lists local hardwood lumber stores. Most of them will have this equipment. Have a look there.

Otherwise, if you're going to get more deeply into this kind of work and can justify the shop space and expense, a jointer, planer, and table saw should probably be on your list.

What kind of projects do you do? How many of them per year? If you can tell us this, it will help us with tool recommendations and other options.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    Jay, what part of the planet are you on where maple and cherry are considered exotic hardwoods?
    I suppose I meant cocobolo and honduras rosewoods, you know, that type of thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Hart View Post
    What size are the boards that need planing?
    They range in size mostly from 3" wide to 6" wide and not more than 4' long.

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Taylor View Post
    Yes a planer would do the job ,but you will lose a lot of material in doing so, a bandsaw may be the better alternative,. If you do not have access to one and this is a one time project you might want to contact a local cabinet shop and have them resaw the material for you. If you want to do woodworking on a continuous basis i would look into acquiring a portable planer and either a bandsaw or table saw as a start Glad you found this forum and hope you take up woodworking. Be aware that it is addictive and you will most likly eventually wind up with a full arsenal of tools.
    I have done minor woodworking for a number of years off and on, mostly with the aid of hand tools (except for power drills) and enjoy making dado cuts with a back saw and chisel however space is a factor therefore I cannot get a table saw. Some bandsaws can be placed upon workbench top am I right? Hmmm, never thought about a portable hand planer in fact, to be honest, I have no idea if they're hard or easy to use or how long it takes to remove stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Welcome Jay!

What about the hand-held planers for doors and warped studs and such? Will those do?

I'll take a hand-held plane over a powered hand-held planer any day. Check out the Neanderthal Haven for more than enough advice on first planes.

Brian
    Ok, thanks Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Frankly if you have the time and the inclination you could become proficient with a handsaw and hand planes to resaw and prepare stock for small projects. Purchase 5/4 to get two pieces 1/2" final dimension. Check the neander region for more advise on this. Stock was resawn by hand well before bandsaws became prevalent.

No matter how you slice it good tools cost money, and custom milled stock costs money too. Lots of sources (rockler, woodcraft. woodworkers supply, many internet wood sellers) will sell you project wood milled to 1/2". With mail order you lose control of picking your stock (you get what they give you) but this may save you lots of work or lots of tools, depends on your ambitions and budget.

Remember, the person selling you 4/4 is not the only wood dealer in the world, probably just the closest one.
    Ok, thanks a lot. Yes, that is definately a down side of online ordering. One cannot see what he is buying. I have access to Lowe's and they sell 1/2" red oak which is perfect but that's the only hard wood (besides poplar) they they sell. Ha - I like using hand tools but wouldn't it be tough to hand rip a 4' long, 6" wide board? I mean making rabbit cuts with a back saw isn't hard but we're only talking a shallow cut here. But that makes sense getting 5/4 wood and makiing two useable pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    It sounds like a planer is the right tool for the job. However, if you don't plan on doing enough projects like this, to justify at least $600 (for a entry level planer & jointer) you may want to just buy the lumber from a hardwood lumber store and have them plane it for you. They charge a small fee, but it may be worth it for you.

I think the site is www.woodfinder.net that lists local hardwood lumber stores. Most of them will have this equipment. Have a look there.

Otherwise, if you're going to get more deeply into this kind of work and can justify the shop space and expense, a jointer, planer, and table saw should probably be on your list.

What kind of projects do you do? How many of them per year? If you can tell us this, it will help us with tool recommendations and other options.

Welcome to Sawmill Creek!
    Thanks a bunch Jeremy. I'm kind of embarassed to mention this but I will. I was asked by a friend who lives in the UK to make her a paddle (the kind used to spank people with *blush*). Since it was a special thing, I used 1/2" red oak which, in my mind, would hold up relatively well. (3/4" would have been too heavy for the purpose). I cut it out with my new bosch jig saw then used a rasp to shape the handle. After that I started sanding with 60 grit sandpaper and worked my way up to 400 grit. I then used sanding sealer followed by several coats of semi-gloss poly, sanding lightly between coats.

It was a real gem when I finally sent it to her and I enjoyed making it so much I decided to make more to perhaps sell. I have since made several different shapes and lengths of paddles, all 1/2" but I want to begin using material such as honduras rosewood, cocobolo, maple etc, but all I can find where I live, besides pine and aspen is 1/2" oak. I'd love a table saw but don't have the space for one.

And no - I have no use for a paddle myself - honest!