Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What carving tools do you have/use?

as long as were on the subject i'm always curious how other people sharpen their tools.......and how long they will use it before resharpening

If you look at the threads, you'll see some great answers to the sharpening question I asked not long ago under the heading "dumb guy with sharp gouges." Since then I have carved for at least 2-3 hours every night except for four while I was out of town. I said that the curves were intimidating, and I wasn't quite sure if I should turn them as I pull, or change the angle on each pull. Prior to carving, all I ever sharpened were bench chisels, knives and lawnmower blades. Lots of great info on people's particular techniques, as well as some philosophy. Since then, I have found that if I keep the strop next to me with some green on it, I'm in pretty good shape. Did another stop with jeweler's rouge, but the green seems fine. When I need a little more edge, I start with a 1000grit water stone, then 6000 (it's a King Ice Bear w/ one on each side) and then strop it. When in use, I usually strop as soon as I start thinking it's been a while. About 15-20 minutes of use per edge, I would guess. I've only had to whip out the stones a couple times before tonight--those Henry Taylors I mentioned above in an earlier post. Still formulating an opinion, but I will say they are a different animal than the Pfeils. Also, I've stuck with carving basswood, which doesn't hack up an edge much anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by randall rosenthal View Post
    as long as were on the subject i'm always curious how other people sharpen their tools.......and how long they will use it before resharpening
    I made a wheel out of MDF that I mount on my lathe. It has leather around the edge which I charge with green honing compound. I hone my carving tools on that whenever they appear to be not cutting well.

See attached pictures which show the front and back of my honing wheel. It's a bit hard to see the leather around the edge. The MDF is 3/4". The sandpaper is used to re-shape an edge when it's damaged - like when you drop a carving tool on the concrete floor.

It's MUCH faster than hand sharpening and honing.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Cowan View Post
    Fedex just dropped off the latest Woodcraft order--I got 4 of the Henry Taylors in the closeout section. Woodcraft's Henry Taylor aren't the same ones you buy with the black/straw shanks, they are polished. And the handles are ash rather than beech. Measured in mm like the Swiss. Two fishtails (#5/20, #7/14), a #4/12, and a 20mm double bevel chisel. They don't look as elegant as the Pfeil, but they do look sturdy. Says they need a final honing before use, but not by much--they're sharp. I'll try them out tonight, and pound on them all weekend. Shame about the rounded handles. I'm sure I'll be grinding one soon, when it rolls off my bench. Might cut or sand some sides, we'll see.
    Things may have changed, but the first time I bought some Henry Taylor carving tools, the edges were too hard and would fracture in use. But it was just the edge. Once I sharpened them back a bit, the steel was fine.

I haven't bought any HT's recently.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike, I can already see what you mean. I've been messing around with them a bit, haven't had any edge fracture yet, but found that the first honing didn't really last. Had to go to the stones, but I think maybe there's a breaking in period, if that makes any sense. They are huge. The steel is really thick, and I didn't realize how much flex there was in the Pfeils until I tried these. I actually kind of like the handles. They look big, but feel pretty good. Also, the steel is heavy enough to anchor them when resting on the bench. Not much roll. I bought the two fishtails because I love my Pfeil #5 fishtail, but these are entirely different. Fun to try something new, though--and nothing beats coming home from work on a Friday to find new tools waiting. One of the handles is off center a little, but not too bad. The #5/f20 is actually more like an 18. The #1 is actually pretty cool. The Woodcraft website states that these were made for them, and not actually like the usual Henry Taylors. Sort of lower end, I guess. The lower price reflects this, even before the closeout special. Curious about the performance difference, but not so curious as to rush out and buy one. I think I'm done buying any more for a while (yeah, right), as I have a pretty wide variety of gouges and sizes (about 20 now). Time to focus on getting good.

interesting.....i havent touched a stone in 20 years (for non flat tools) i use a cotton wheel with jewelers rouge. if i use a tool for 10 or 15 minutes i hit the wheel for a few seconds then the side of the wheel for 2 or 3 seconds. my theory is never let them get at all dull. dropping one on the concrete floor (which ive done) is a different challenge. i sometimes reshape tools to accomplish a particular task......instead of stones i like wet dry sandpaper on glass lubricated with corrosion X

I have carved furniture professionally for 9 years. I've had the opportunity to handle a lot of tools and the ones I use are Dastra distributed by Frank Mittermeir Inc. They are easy to sharpen and take a lot of abuse. I agree with the post that the Henry Taylors I tried, the edge seemed to disinegrate and the burr just wouldn't strop off.

Stubai sells shanks

Question for anyone:
    A lot of the old carving books, etc., show just the shanks without the handles. Does anyone know of a source for just that part? I'd like to make my own handles.[/quote]

Stubai will sell just the shanks. However, getting anything these days takes time. www.stubaidirect.com. But I would download the catalog directly from stubai first. They have instructions on how to order handles and shanks separately.
    Tom Fink
    N. Caldwell, NJ

pfeil....but i have oddball yard sale tools also. i find i can make almost anything work well. its just a matter of for how long before it needs to be touched up....

Ashley Illes back bent and spoon gouges

Just thought I would mention Ashley Iles gouges (including back bent and spoon) are available at Fur and Feathers Woodcarving -- on the web at www.fandfwoodcarving.com